Model Cars Magazine Forum

#77 Charlie Robert's 1971 Ford Torino

satterwhite78

Charlie Roberts was an independent driver in Nascar in 1970 through 1974. Hailing from Anniston, Alabama, Home of Bobby & Donnie Allison, Red Farmer and the Alabama Gang Charlie decided to leave the Bull rings and make a run in Winston Cup. 3 career top tens and a best finish of ninth twice by 1972, being his best year. By 74 Charlie retired from the series.

A Revell 71 Ford Torino GT body dropped over a P/L chassis. Testor's Dark Red with Decals by Dave Vann. The Tail panel sponser freestyled by hand to round out the back view. Enjoy!

100_5040_zpsa6f4d6c6.jpg

100_5035_zpsa136b276.jpg

[url=http://s1193.photobucket.com/user/Satterwhite78/media/Stock%20cars/100_5039_zps7581854d.jpg.html]100_5039_zps7581854d.jpg

Really cool Vintage Stock Car build. Clean work with the finishing and nice paint. The shine is just perfect for a Stock Car, not too shiny (Is that even possible?) but not Matte finish either. Great work.

P/L Chassis? What's that?

Really cool Vintage Stock Car build. Clean work with the finishing and nice paint. The shine is just perfect for a Stock Car, not too shiny (Is that even possible?) but not Matte finish either. Great work.

P/L Chassis? What's that?

I take it to mean a Polar Lights stock car kit?

Ah, one of the famous Sunny King Ford-sponsored cars. When I was in high school way back when, there was a running joke about the Sunny King Ford cars (I grew up about 45 minutes away from Anniston, where the Sunny King Ford dealership was located). The joke was very visual, and I had a friend who acted it out very well. It went basically like this: "Down at Talledega, the cars go screaming past the grandstand VROOOOOM! And there's always one car that kind of buzzes around the bottom of the track BUUUUUZZZZZZ and tries not to get run over by the fast cars. That's the Sunny King Ford car!" This was way before video games and the internet, so we had to make our own entertainment :D

• 2 weeks later...

Love this build of a "not-often-seen" subject. '71 Fords might not have been extremely-successful in Nascar, but they sure did make great looking race cars! Excellent job on this build. I'd like to see a straight-on photo of the rear of this build, so i can better-see your hand-done paintwork on the tail light panel!