Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are all imports curbside?

So I have a few foreign kits, 70 Skyline, Nissan R34 and a Porsche kit, two of which are curbside, no engine detail at all, I am looking at some Subaru kits and I can't find any with engine detail. Is there an easy way to figure out which kits ARE NOT curbside?

Yes. Ask about the specific kit here. I guarantee you, someone will already have the kit and know the answer.

All the Subie's I've seen are full detail! Oh, you mean model kits and I was thinking of the several thousand I see on the lot at the Subaru plant here! ;)

Seriously though, not all imported model car kits are curbside, in fact, I suspect most are full detail models.

Art

Some Aoshimas are full engine. Almost all tamiyas are full engine. Fujimi makes mostly curbside but there are aftermarket engines for a lot of them. Hasegawa are also curbside a large majority.

Plus side - huge variety of cars

Negative side - no engines

Plus side - superior quality on most of the newer kits makes up for lack of engine. Fit and finish is incredible.

Some Aoshimas are full engine. Almost all tamiyas are full engine. Fujimi makes mostly curbside but there are aftermarket engines for a lot of them. Hasegawa are also curbside a large majority.

Plus side - huge variety of cars

Negative side - no engines

Plus side - superior quality on most of the newer kits makes up for lack of engine. Fit and finish is incredible.

Negative side-price , unless you know the right places to buy from

Negative side-price , unless you know the right places to buy from

Exactly Jonathon. Some places will charge $50 for a $20 kit. I buy all my Japanese kits through HLJ. Their prices are so low I wonder how he makes a profit. And the Personal Warehouse option is genius.

Exactly Jonathon. Some places will charge $50 for a $20 kit. I buy all my Japanese kits through HLJ. Their prices are so low I wonder how he makes a profit. And the Personal Warehouse option is genius.

I buy most from HLJ as well, but Ebay can be a great place for them as well, just gotta find the right sellers, I love the private warehouse option, I buy kits over the course of a month or two and then ship, so much cheaper

My last order I had shipped and I used EMS(by mistake) and it was for five kits, $45, came out to $9 a kit and was at my door in four days I think