Model Cars Magazine Forum

superbird conversion 1/16

tesla57

I have seen some conversions for the MPC charger 1/16 kit, like the one from parry's resin. Would love to build one but was wondering if anyone has worked with them and if there was anyone who new where to get other parts for nascar conversion.

The main problem is the '70 Superbird and '69 Charger (and Daytona) share no body panels, and even the wings are different. The DOH '69 Charger is your best starting point for a Superbird, but the body will need a lot of work.

I know so I was wondering if anyone had used the Perry's resin conversion.http://www.perrysresin.com/catalog.htm That would get me the body and wheels.

Perry's does not make or carry these any more. He's cut back on his catalog items a while back, so your best to go with the Resin Motor Replicas conversion set. I got one from him and the parts are excellent. go to http://www.freewebs.com/rmrresin/nf125.htm and check it out.

Although he has yet to get to the nose kit itself, there's a build using one going on here... http://magnummodelsmoparforum.yuku.com/topic/12/116th-scale-PROSTREET-Daytona-Charger?page=1

And a review of the parts here... http://magnummodelsmoparforum.yuku.com/topic/40/Resin-Wing-Kit

He will be modifying and building a 73 style Charger with the Daytona kit.

It is for the 1969 Charger kit. The only parts are the nose cone, wing and fender scoops. Again, the nose and wing on the Superbird are different and to do a bird in 16th scale you would need a Roadrunner body to modify. I'm not at liberty to say anything more right now, other than somebody out there IS working on alternative bodies for the 1/16th Petty kit.

The nose clip would be the easiest mod. The Daytona's nose is smooth across the top and the grille is located at the leading edge. The Superbird has a splitter that is a continuation of the hoods central ridge and the grille is under the nose. Here's a couple reference pics.

Plymouth-Road-Runner-Superbird-lg_zps280

1970DodgeChargerDaytona_02_700_zps6c8c68

iam in the process of building a petty super bird.using doh body, petty charger chassis and all the nascar stuff that goes with that . resin motor replicas daytona conversion,pattoes petty superbird decals made to 1/16 and resin wheels offebay.so far have bondoed scalopes onthe doors straightened tops of doors and you also have to smooth the hood.i need to figure out how to contiue body line on hood on to nose and make the quarter fender vents.rework of the grille should be easy.

The nose clip would be the easiest mod. The Daytona's nose is smooth across the top and the grille is located at the leading edge. The Superbird has a splitter that is a continuation of the hoods central ridge and the grille is under the nose. Here's a couple reference pics.

1970DodgeChargerDaytona_02_700_zps6c8c68

I wouldn't be using this picture too much as a reference, since it isn't a Daytona ;-) It has the front end of one and a wing, but it is a convertible, sits weird on its wheels for a Daytona and the R/T badge is (IIRC) in the wrong place. And IIRC, the Daytona came with a benchseat and I am not sure buckets were available as an option.

I've bought a few of the Daytona Conversion Kits for the DOH Charger and I like them and

would recommend them without reservation.

I am going to finagle one onto one of the Street Charger bodies at some point just to do it.

I'm sure Mr Magnum just used that pic as it shows pretty clearly the differences in the noses.

I rather sure that purple thing is a 70 charger (by the side scoops on the door) with the wing

and nose put on (which doesn't fit well on those 70 front fenders).

The Daytonas could be had with buckets, the bench seats in them are scarce in comparison.

A bench in a Superbird is even harder to come across.

As far as the nose on the Daytona, I always thought it looked kind of unfinished without the

ridge line coming off the hood being carried down as with the Superbird.

On the one car WIP I actually have the nose grafted on, I flattened out the ridge line on the

existing hood just to make it look more uniform for my tastes.

post-9657-0-94033400-1368666914_thumb.jp

Making a Superbird out of the Charger would be a bear to say the least.

For that matter, if there were even a stock 70 Road Runner body to start off with, to make it a

Superbird you'd still have a ton of work to do such as the back glass but especially the front

fenders since they used Dodge Coronet fenders to make them.

I sure do hope somebody comes along and does some alternate bodies for these cars, that

would be fantastic.

Surely whomever does it can make some dough on them, I know they would from me :)

Anyway, I do not profess to be an expert on anything here, just throwing my two cents in.

Thank you Michael, yes, I used that picture as it was the first one to come up on google. I just needed the nose. You know, when you spend a lot of time online helping people find the info they need sometimes you take a shortcut...okay? :rolleyes: Trust me, had the question been "How do I turn my GL kit into a Daytona, much different pics would have been used. As for the body mods on a GL to make a Bird, I would LOVE to see it done. To me though...you may as well cover the whole thing with bondo and carve it out from scratch, but if the OP can do it, cool!

Edited by MAGNUM4342

converting a charger body to look like a 1970 Roadrunner ( aka Superbird ) would be an astronomical undertaking. Not one single body panel is even close.

The only part that would interchange is the wiper cowl and windshield and A pillars.

But even the A pillar stainless moulding is different between the 2 cars

IMO it would be easier to draw one up and/or scanned in cad and have it 3d printed to make a resin master

ps, All 1969 Chargers were bucket seats, bench seat was not avail , regardless of interior trim level.

It was buckets with console, buckets with center fold down arm rest or buckets only

Edited by gtx6970