Model Cars Magazine Forum

DuesyKid builds his '34 Duesenberg

DuesyKid

Hello All!

Its FINALLY time to start my build thread for the Duesenberg!.....I've been bugging my Stepdad Clayton (Mr.ModelT here on the forum) about it every night for the last two weeks. The first thing he said was "Research what your building and know every detail personally...and there is no better way then studying the real thing". Unfortunately getting the chance to look at a real Duesenberg is next to impossible. Thanks to a friend of my Stepdad's however, I had the very rare opportunity to have a 2 hour visit with J-475/2486.... their beautifully restored 1931 Derham bodied Convertible Sedan (1 of only 5 built) it was awesome! You can see it on my avatar and the photos attached.

After crawling over the real Duesenberg, we made the first steps Last night when I airbrushed the engine with Mr.Model T, but that's all we got we got done :(.

Anyways, our game plan is to get the rest of the drive train parts airbrushed and perhaps the frame in body color (dark blue)...as well as getting all the chrome parts ready for re-plating....Clayton is taking care of that for me :D.

Stay tuned for more and follow along! :D :) ^_^ B) :lol::rolleyes: ;) :blink:

Andrew ~ "DuesyKid"

post-11959-0-03664900-1368505542_thumb.j

post-11959-0-18116900-1368505560_thumb.j

post-11959-0-21083900-1368505575_thumb.j

post-11959-0-27388200-1368505604_thumb.j

post-11959-0-45203900-1368505641_thumb.j

post-11959-0-32676300-1368505661_thumb.j

post-11959-0-57521800-1368505693_thumb.j

post-11959-0-40203900-1368505712_thumb.j

Edited by DuesyKid

Andrew, I have seen your other builds and you seem to have some real talent. So I have a few pointers based on your pics here.

Assemble the engine halves before painting. That way you can clean up any seams.

Are you in a well ventilated area? You seem to be air brushing with the part right under your nose. Paint and thinner fumes are dangerous. You should be using a air-purifying mask at the very least. Safety first.

great start, nice pics!

i actually had the privilige of working on, and then riding in a duesy dual cowl phaeton back in the 90`s. it was a beautiful car, but the front fender got a tiny ding in it, and i was working for a buddy of mine who had a small bodyshop, and just our luck one of his neighbors rents storage space for classic cras, plus he owns a few. the duesy was one he didnt own, i think back then it was worth a million bucks, but we fixed the tiny ding in the fender, and the guy took us for a ride.....it was very cool.

ive been thinking about building something classic like this, i dont have anything like it in my collection....

keep up the good work

cheers

bryan

That's looking great! Keep us posted with the progress, it looks like a cool build. These Old Classics are nice to see being built, even if I've never built anything Pre '49 cars as Stock. Also I like to see other young people building. :D

Are you in a well ventilated area? You seem to be air brushing with the part right under your nose. Paint and thinner fumes are dangerous. You should be using a air-purifying mask at the very least. Safety first.

Whoops...Never thought that, I've been painting in the Garage with really bad ventilation. On Summer I paint outside though (But here the summer isn't that long). Maybe I should try that. ;)

Andrew, I have seen your other builds and you seem to have some real talent. So I have a few pointers based on your pics here.

Assemble the engine halves before painting. That way you can clean up any seams.

That is partially my fault as his teacher :rolleyes: ...it was late when we started and after a full day.....that went right out the of my mind until he started painting. We do have some touch up work to do yet, so we will join the block halfs and clean everything up before our touch up work.

Yes, our garage is well ventilated, but you make a good point....Safety first is best. I am in the process of building a small, sealed paint booth for us to use that will be ventilated correctly.

When I was a kid....there was a big window above my Dad's workbench.....so I didn't worry about it much :D

great start, nice pics!

i actually had the privilige of working on, and then riding in a duesy dual cowl phaeton back in the 90`s. it was a beautiful car, but the front fender got a tiny ding in it, and i was working for a buddy of mine who had a small bodyshop, and just our luck one of his neighbors rents storage space for classic cras, plus he owns a few. the duesy was one he didnt own, i think back then it was worth a million bucks, but we fixed the tiny ding in the fender, and the guy took us for a ride.....it was very cool.

ive been thinking about building something classic like this, i dont have anything like it in my collection....

keep up the good work

cheers

bryan

They are impressive....and it is a rare opportunity to study or work on one these days, so this was a great thing for Andrew and I. The Duesy we visited was owned by a shipyard worker in the 1940's and 1950's and used as his work vehicle. He built large racks on top to carry steel stock, carried tools in the back seat and had a large trailer for tools and his welders....

It looks allot better now.

Keep up the good work, Andrew!

It must have been a real trip to get to thoroughly inspect a real Duesy!

And Clayton, good job in teaching this young fellow. Can't wait to see the finished model down the road.

(and to think that there's some folks on this board who don't see the value in passing down this hobby to the next generation....here's a perfect example of the good that can come of it)

It's nice to see someone your age building. I taught junior and senior high school. I'd run into a kid here and there that might try a car or airplane, and I think there was one or two that was really into it.

And the choice....spectacular. That's a very nice kit. It really surprised me how many kids your age find the capital C "classics" so cool and wonderful. It made me happy.

This is my up close and personal with a Deusenburg, that taken ill with vapor lock on a country road near me.

DSCF0235.jpg

Charlie Larkin

It's nice to see someone your age building. I taught junior and senior high school. I'd run into a kid here and there that might try a car or airplane, and I think there was one or two that was really into it.

And the choice....spectacular. That's a very nice kit. It really surprised me how many kids your age find the capital C "classics" so cool and wonderful. It made me happy.

This is my up close and personal with a Deusenburg, that taken ill with vapor lock on a country road near me.

DSCF0235.jpg

Charlie Larkin

Thanks Charlie! He is a good kid and will probably be the only 12 year old Duesenberg aficionado out there by the time we're done. He says he is a BIG Duesy fan :D I am also pleased that he has taken to this as much as I did at his age and enjoys it so much.

That is rare...running across a Duesy like that. Do you have any more pictures of this car? I think this might just be 1930 J-366/ Chassis 2381. Originally it left the factory as a LeBaron bodied convertable sedan...but ended up with this roadster body (by an unknown coachbuilder) some time in the mid to late 1930's.

This is the car after the roadster conversion:

2381_J-366_4.jpg

and sometime in the late 1950's:

2381_J-366a.jpg

2381_J-366c.jpg

Curious if it is infact the same car :)

You are off to a great start!

I have driven and worked on a number of Duesenbergs. They are one of the few Capital "C" Classics that really run and drive as well as they look like they should. I will watch this build with great interest!

Eric

They are impressive, but a few of the people I know that have driven, owned and worked on them all seem to say "They drive like an old Dump truck"

Having never worked on or driven one myself (something I would love to do at least once)...I can only assume that for a luxury car of that price...it should have a nice ride and handling.

Wow your a very lucky young man! I am 35 yrs old and I've never seen a deuce with my own eyes. But I find the fact you get to enjoy your hobby with your step-dad even greater then seeing the deuce.keep up the good work you guys me and my soon to be stepson have this build bookmarked (he is 9) hope you bring home the trophy if not you have already won and won big IMHO.

Clayton, the car I ran into was a 1929 Model J (no blower) with an all-aluminum Murphy body. As near as I can tell, that was the original body. Except for the fenders, which are painted silver, all the other shiny areas on the maroon body are polished aluminum.

135.jpg

134.jpg

133.jpg

132.jpg

131.jpg

128.jpg

The edges of the vents on the hood are aluminum. Up close, they look like chrome. Absolutely stunning.

Mr. Fafard, the man that owned the car said it drives a bit like a medium-duty truck. Boy, what a truck to drive!

If I hit that $600 million jackpot tonight, I think I'm getting one just because.

Charlie Larkin

They are impressive....and it is a rare opportunity to study or work on one these days, so this was a great thing for Andrew and I. The Duesy we visited was owned by a shipyard worker in the 1940's and 1950's and used as his work vehicle. He built large racks on top to carry steel stock, carried tools in the back seat and had a large trailer for tools and his welders....

It looks allot better now.

Do you have any photos of the Duesy from those days? A lot of the big old classic cars saw use as work trucks once they were older and on the back row on used car lots. After all, they were huge and built on truck like frames. As someone said above, 'drove like a dump truck'. These cars became tow trucks too.

Edited by Tom Geiger

Clayton, the car I ran into was a 1929 Model J (no blower) with an all-aluminum Murphy body. As near as I can tell, that was the original body. Except for the fenders, which are painted silver, all the other shiny areas on the maroon body are polished aluminum.

135.jpg

134.jpg

133.jpg

132.jpg

131.jpg

128.jpg

The edges of the vents on the hood are aluminum. Up close, they look like chrome. Absolutely stunning.

Mr. Fafard, the man that owned the car said it drives a bit like a medium-duty truck. Boy, what a truck to drive!

If I hit that $600 million jackpot tonight, I think I'm getting one just because.

Charlie Larkin

Ah-ha! That is J-150/2176...Short wheel base, non-supercharged. Originally it was bodied as a Convertible Sedan with coachwork by Murphy, but was re-bodied as this attractive roadster by Murphy sometime in the Mid to late 1940's or in the early 1950's.

J-150's original appearance Circa 1941...

2176_J-150_3.jpg

...and as it appeared in the mid to late 1980's or early 1990's...

2176_J-150_2.jpg

I believe it received another full restoration within the last 10 years or so.

I agree....with that jackpot.....after a new house for the family and some things paid off.....a Duesenberg was on my list as well :D

Do you have any photos of the Duesy from those days? A lot of the big old classic cars saw use as work trucks once they were older and on the back row on used car lots. After all, they were huge and built on truck like frames. As someone said above, 'drove like a dump truck'. These cars became tow trucks too.

I don't....but I may be able to dig some up from the owners.

It was very common for the big older cars...mostly the pre-1920 stuff to become service vehicles....mostly on account of how they were built and the massive amount of torque they produced. A 1912 Locomobile "48" for example, may only be 48 hp......but it produced tons of stump-pulling torque, perfect for re-use as a tow truck.

Hey, Let's see the chassis!

As for the Duesey above, the green car was a fairly recent rebody. It sold about 2 years ago at by R&M, I think at the Amelia Island Concours. I do not think it is the same car as the maroon and silver car pictured above. There were at least two of these rebodies done to replicate the original car that Noel Thompson owned (and still may own). Look carefully and you will see that neirther of these are Muphy cars. In fact, they are both Derham Convertible Coupes, the lines of which I actually prefer to Murphy.

If you don't have one, a very worthwhile book to buy is Fred Roe's Pursuit of Perfection which remains the gold standard of Duesenberg regerence books 25 years after it was published. It has tons of useful reference photos.

If you have not gotten to this point, you might think about doing some of the assembly of the chassis before you paint it. I have found they go together better that way

Bummer. I did not win the lottery!

Edited by Eric Macleod

Hey, Let's see the chassis!

As for the Duesey above, the green car was a fairly recent rebody. It sold about 2 years ago at by R&M, I think at the Amelia Island Concours. I do not think it is the same car as the maroon and silver car pictured above. There were at least two of these rebodies done to replicate the original car that Noel Thompson owned (and still may own). Look carefully and you will see that neirther of these are Muphy cars. In fact, they are both Derham Convertible Coupes, the lines of which I actually prefer to Murphy.

If you don't have one, a very worthwhile book to buy is Fred Roe's Pursuit of Perfection which remains the gold standard of Duesenberg regerence books 25 years after it was published. It has tons of useful reference photos.

If you have not gotten to this point, you might think about doing some of the assembly of the chassis before you paint it. I have found they go together better that way

Bummer. I did not win the lottery!

I think you are right. I did some more digging after I posted this and have to agree. These bodies do have a more a Derham look and feel then Murphy. I guess the referrences I have are a bit incorrect.

I really want Fred Roe's book and need to find it for this project.....just got to hunt a copy down i guess :)

I will certainly have pictures of the chassis very soon for all of his loyal followers :) We didn't get in paint as planned this weekend, but do have most of the chassis assembled and ready for paint...just waiting for Andrew to finalize his color choice :)