Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's a stomach turner

forthlin

Guest Johnny

I was afraid of heights. So I learned to fly! Have jumped out of planes, flew small planes and flew helicopters in combat.

You know what? I still hate heights! :lol:

That picture was taken of ironworkers who worked on the Empire State building wasn't it? Notice any of them with any kind of fall protection on? Nope none of them have any! That was long before anyone wore harnesses of any type. They had to convince guys that the harnesses would help protect them, even then many refused to wear them they were afraid they would harm their balance rather than catch them in case of a fall. A lot of those guys were Mowhawk Indians who were renowned for their ability to work the high steel, many were second and third generation ironworkers. I've seen pictures of ironworkers doing handstands on i-beams that couldn't be over a foot wide, that's just plain nuts.

I worked on a bridge electrical retrofit project working at (200+ feet) every day for a year and a half inspecting Contractor's work, I still never got used to the height. The first time I climbed over the rail onto a two foot wide chord I literally had to make myself inch along, even though I was harnessed and double clipped off to the structure. I never lost the fear of the height more like a profound respect for it, you do what you have to do then get back on solid footing.

What never ceases to amaze me is the people who jump off bridges, they crawl right over the rail onto some pretty small places of climb around to even more precarious positions like they did it every day. They just don't worry about how they are going to get down.

Last week I did my own version of this picture as our cat got caught on the roof of our town home. I chased that dumb thing around all the roofs of my neighbors houses too. One neighbor thought I was a peeping tom and the police were called. A fun night was had by all.

Here's another "interesting" one... A scrawny French kid doing chin-ups hanging from a 600 ft. crane in Paris... Video is appropriately titled, too :P

I guess it would be hypocritical of me to criticize other people's hobbies, but I think I'll stick with building plastic cars LOL

Edited by PowerPlant

Every time I see that photo I shutter. I cant even watch the videos posted above, the screen shot displayed is enough to make me nervous. I am greatful for all those who can work in high places. If it were left up to me everythng would be one story.