Model Cars Magazine Forum

info on Tamiya Porsche 928S

I want to get the Tamiya 1/20 scale 1979 Porsche 928S put I am a little gun shy , the last Porsche I got from them has a fake half engine it will never run that way , does this 928 have a full detail engine and opening hood , Thanks

How about the original Revell 928 kit ( the one with the red 928 on the box ) did that have engine detail ?

Yep - the Revell kit has an engine. It's a full engine, but the induction pipes are a little out of scale (too thin). The whole Revell kit has slightly odd proportions. The Fujimi one is much better - but of course it's not a full detail kit. I've always thought a combination of the Fujimi body with the Revell engine/drivetrain would make a nice 1/24 model.

I think it is the Airfix/Italeri 928

It is the Airfix 928. The proportions are off on this kit. The pop-up headlights are not sloped with fender and the kits are also reccessed. The rear tires sit way to far into the body, they should be close to the fender as shown below.

what is wrong with a 1/20 scale ? just curious

Sorry, it's just me. I like all my builds to be one scale so they are relatively correctly sized next to each other on the shelf. It probably is greatly influenced by the fact that lately I've been building the cars I've owned. I started with AMT's 1/25 kits in 1958 so that's my preferred scale and what most are anyway that I like. I do let 1/24 in, though, but 1/20 is just too big to look right for me.

• 2 weeks later...