Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom / Concept '09 Challenger SportWagon: Back on the bench, Feb.28

Ace-Garageguy

This is really good. The basic form looks very right. You might consider making it a sedan with a B post and a fixed window from there to the C post, which would be much narrower. This would lighten the back third of the car and provide much better visibility. Too bad almost nobody offers wagons in the US any more. This would be a very attractive and distinctive alternative.

This is really good. The basic form looks very right. You might consider making it a sedan with a B post and a fixed window from there to the C post, which would be much narrower. This would lighten the back third of the car and provide much better visibility. Too bad almost nobody offers wagons in the US any more. This would be a very attractive and distinctive alternative.

Thanks. If you compare the model to a stocker, you'll notice I've already lopped several inches off of the rear quarters and moved the rear fascia forward, and up a couple of inches. Opening the rear wheel wells lightened up the tail as well.

The body is also sectioned about 3" and that required a LOT of chassis rework to get everything to fit. As usual, I'm trying to build the thing in a way that could translate to 1:1, and not just a plastic hack. The rear lift-gate (and roof portion) is from the Dodge Magnum, and the glass from that will be retained.

The idea is for a different kind of 2-seat sport-wagon, a SEMA show special maybe, with plenty of room for gear, inspired by the old Pinto s.d.

1978-Ford-Pinto-Sedan-Delivery-Wagon-r3q

....but with an aggressive, contemporary vibe, probably a supercharger, and of course the good handling this platform is known to provide.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

You did such a good job on the section that I missed it. I should have seen it; all the new pony cars are so fat (thick bodies). You've made this one look trim again. Kudos on trying to make everything work properly for a 1:1 version. A custom is more interesting when it could be real.

You did such a good job on the section that I missed it. I should have seen it; all the new pony cars are so fat (thick bodies). You've made this one look trim again. Kudos on trying to make everything work properly for a 1:1 version. A custom is more interesting when it could be real.

I took the easy way out on the section. After looking at the car carefully, particularly how it fit the chassis plate, I elected to simply remove the rockers at the door cut-line, and re-scribe the line higher. I added styrene strip stock to the insides of the lower edges of the panels and re-radiused them to form new rockers. That isn't shown in these early mockup shots. At this point I had the look, but hadn't figured out how to get it to work.

Even this meant the upper parts of the frame had to be modified extensively to allow the body to slip down to the original ride-height. So the body is channeled as well as being sectioned, actually. Channeling the body and taking the section off of the bottom of the panels avoids having a lots-of-work-to-make-pretty join line running the length of the car, either in 1:1, or on the model. All the welding of the sectioning would be hidden.

To build the car in 1:1 in steel would be a lot of work, but it's entirely possible. It would require all of the spot-welded outer panels to be drilled off and removed, the remaining unibody structure to be sectioned the correct amount...quite feasible if measured carefully...and the body panels reinstalled over the sectioned chassis. The door skins would be removed, the door frames sectioned, and the door skins reattached (probably replaced for simplicity) with the lower edges trimmed off. The front fenders and rear quarters would be trimmed at the bottom and a new outer rocker box fabricated from sheet.

Splicing in the Magnum liftgate opening and structure, and extending the roof would be a little tricky too, but again, entirely possible. There are a lot of areas of a rework of this magnitude that would possibly go faster and give better long-term results if full-scale mockups were sculpted in clay of some of the more difficult areas. Fiberglass molds could easily be taken from clays, and 'glass parts laid up in the molds. Attaching composite parts to steel structures with structural adhesives is common now even in bodyshops, so, no magic there.

Note: The glue blob smears in front of the wheel openings are where I was trying out transplanting the fender flares from the Magnum. Though kinda cool and aggressive, they spoiled the otherwise clean and crisp lines.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Just ran out of time. This working for a living stuff really gets in the way. Impossible to complete her now though she's a lot farther along than this. No point in assembling just for photos. This is the final mockup with all the major lines and proportions adjusted.

DSCN9192_zpsb0c6b1ab.jpg

You HAVE to keep this one going! The concept is stunning. Are those the wheels you plan to use? If you're looking for something different, I'd would consider contributing something out of my wheel stash.

Even though I just retired, I just missed out on submitting the 41 Chevy P/U for Gearz contest. So I know that feeling. Same thing last year with the 66 El Camino which I just finished in early January.

Please carry on with it!!!

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Glad you like the looks of this one.

West 105 epoxy / microballoon filler. Sticks like crazy to anything, sands beautifully, but takes hours to set up. Not the goo for the impatient.

DSCN9559_zps8f488743.jpg

Basis of the new shaker-style hood setup. 2009 hood on left, vintage parts on right.

DSCN0031_zpse8874439.jpg

Fresh splash-mold for a fiberglass copy of the '09 hood.

DSCN0054_zpsd1b37313.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Glad you like the looks of this one.

West 105 epoxy / microballoon filler. Sticks like crazy to anything, sands beautifully, but takes hours to set up. Not the goo for the impatient.

DSCN9559_zps8f488743.jpg

Basis of the new shaker-style hood setup. 2009 hood on left, vintage parts on right.

DSCN0031_zpse8874439.jpg

Fresh splash-mold for a fiberglass copy of the '09 hood.

DSCN0054_zpsd1b37313.jpg

So what is a splash mold?