Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Pontiac Grand Prix

I got this old friction model as a trade for a few Hot Wheels cars. My Mom had one in the early 70's & plan matching it. I've already ordered all the chrome & interior parts from Modelhaus & can't wait to get started.post-2803-0-25923400-1368653121_thumb.jp

Mike , in addition to being a promotional friction, AMT actually kitted this "Jewel " as in a 3- in one kit too. Being as I'm a vintage Pontiac fan, I wish ( Round to it ) would take a moment and hunt the tools down to re release this long ago and probably forgotten kit to us again .

Might that be worth some $$$ as a collectible? Not saying it is, or that I know. But might it be? Maybe check before you tear it apart?

I've already done some checking & friction models have less value than a promo. It's got some value, but not a lot. Anyway, the rear bumpers broke, the windshield pillar is warped & no steering wheel so it can't be worth much as it sets.

The value of your car wouldn't be very much, since the rear bumper is broken and the front one looks like the chrome is bad.

Yes, in good condition, they do go for crazy prices.

But, the original un-built kits do too ($75 +), and even ones that are already built seem to go for $30 +

I say go for it, if it's something you really want to build.

Oh, and really wether the promo has a friction motor or not is pretty much meaningless to a collector - the important thing is the condition.

Now, since one with a friction motor was more likely to be used as a toy, and bashed into things, the condition would likely be worse (like yours) so the value would be less...

Edited by ChromeIt

Hope you noticed the '64 T-Bird wheels and ordered the correct ones from Modelhaus too.

Back in '64 AMT wasn't too concerned about installing the correct wheels on the frictions; my '64 GP came with '63 Vette wheels and I had a '64 T-Bird with '64 Impala wheels...all kinds of variations out there.

I have the promo version in Grey with a black to top. Not in mint condition, but good. I played with these as a kid. I must of like this one because I didn't blow it up. :wacko:

My promo has the correct wheels and does not have a friction motor.

Edited by Porscheman

Mike:

It's still a great find! I had been looking for one (kit or promo) and finally found the same friction promo at a swap meet a while back (see attached).

I, too, wish Round 2 would dig up the old tooling and reissue the kit version.

Great looking car; one of GM's best, IMHO.

Hope you noticed the '64 T-Bird wheels and ordered the correct ones from Modelhaus too.

Back in '64 AMT wasn't too concerned about installing the correct wheels on the frictions; my '64 GP came with '63 Vette wheels and I had a '64 T-Bird with '64 Impala wheels...all kinds of variations out there.

No, I didn't notice the wheels. You're right, they are t-bird. I'll be ordering the correct ones now. Thanks for letting me know.

I built one years ago.

2006_0124modelsjan190122.jpg

2006_0124modelsjan190126.jpg

I made a mistake by cuttting open the doors and the trunk. I also used the floorboards, drivetrain, and chassis from the AMT '62 Catalina. It drove me absolutely crazy. I have another unbuilt one, which I am going to do a model of a car one of my cousins had, a White w/ no Vinyl Roof, and a Saddle Interior.

Good luck on yours. It looks like you are following a good path on this one.

• 3 weeks later...