Model Cars Magazine Forum

Wago-Vette, Vettowag, Corvette Many-window ?

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow still less obnoxious than a C3.

Imagine how silly I feel. Here we have a self-appointed expert willing to expound on his limitless knowledge of automotive styling, and I failed to bring stone tablets and chisels to record this for posterity.

Edited by Monty

Imagine how silly I feel. Here we have a self-appointed expert willing to expound on his limitless knowledge of automotive styling, and I failed to bring stone tablets and chisels to record this for posterity.

Good thing you remembered to bring your snarky attitude and inability to detect a joke! Or wait, am I doing the same thing...? Not sure, it's the internet.

I don't like C3 corvettes very much. My least favorite Corvette. I think the styling is kind of obnoxious, especially the exaggerated hips. I don't think it's as classy looking as the C2, or as imposing as the C4- I think it's kind of odd. Note that I don't think I'm alone in this sentiment, and thus my joke was aimed at people who feel the same way. Now, obviously, this weird creation is much more obnoxious than a C3 Corvette. I was making a joke that a C2 Corvette with a wagon rear end is more attractive than a C3. I don't...actually...think this, you know?

Do you love C3s? If so, that's great, man. You should spend your time telling me why you think they're awesome, instead of doing...that. I'd love to hear your opinion.

Edited by Expulsion

• 1 month later...

Being a fan of the Volvo P1800ES (and I'm guessing the Vette is using a Volvo hatch), I can see how such a wagon look really improved the Volvo, but this Vette needs a decent amount of tweeking....

1973_Volvo_P1800ES_Wagon_Rear_1.jpg

So if the original car lost an inch or two off the roof height, lost lots of length, lost the middle pillars, and knocked down the height of the reaf fenders at the window line, then the thing would look more like a sport wagon and less like a hearse.... maybe....

Vettesportwagon.jpg

Edited by Russell C

Yep, I was thinking I could salvage the Vette since I pretty much see that the original customizer had in mind, but it's one of those things where it's "most of the way there but not quite". If anything, the hatch itself is too much of a distraction that makes a person think the Vette is trying too hard to be a Volvo, when it was just trying to be a sport wagon. And I'm really not liking the lower slab area between the wheels, even though I took a couple of feet out of it. Same length on the Volvo where it is acceptable, looks weird in proportion to the other stuff on the Vette.

Yep, I was thinking I could salvage the Vette since I pretty much see that the original customizer had in mind, but it's one of those things where it's "most of the way there but not quite". If anything, the hatch itself is too much of a distraction that makes a person think the Vette is trying too hard to be a Volvo, when it was just trying to be a sport wagon. And I'm really not liking the lower slab area between the wheels, even though I took a couple of feet out of it. Same length on the Volvo where it is acceptable, looks weird in proportion to the other stuff on the Vette.

No question your modified version is much more attractive than the original, and you've dealt successfully with the most jarring of the problems with it when viewed from that angle. The overall proportions you ended up with are pleasing, in marked contrast to the first version. The conflict between the straight line at the bottom of the rear quarter glass and the curved top of the Corvette fender bulge, and the resulting triangular flat filler area needs a better resolution, in my opinion. And the heights of the rear quarter glass and the backlight don't fight each other on the Volvo like they do on the Corvette wagon.

Though I rarely see the Volvo wagons these days, the integration of the sport-wagon theme into the unusual P-1800 shape still strikes me as being a masterful piece of work, but I don't remember what designer or house did it.

Other peculiar things about the design, the side window shape sloping down from the exaggerated brow over the windshield header is strange (targa top?), as is the straked red scoop/cove panel behind the window. Something looks proportionally odd on the rear quarters aft of the doors, it looks lengthened there. And some folks may like them, but the acrylic head light covers with the square headlights just doesn't fit the curves of the car at all. I know square headlights are late 60's early 70's show car kitsch. But they have never looked right to me unless the car they were on had alot of hard angles. These pictures make me sigh, to me the C2 Vettes are one of the most beautiful cars ever to roll out of Chevrolet.

Edited by Blown03SVT