Model Cars Magazine Forum

Project Honda 1:1

I had mentioned I was helping a friend get his Civic ready for the summer. Here's a few pictures showing what we've been fooling around with.

This is what he started with. Bought it off of e-Bay a few months ago for a good price from NE Penn. Has an Integra V-TEC engine, headers, exhaust,intake, chip,5 spd w/short shifter, suspension,etc. Any more details I can't answer as I don't speak Honda. But I do know how to make things look "different".

Yes.... it's pink

50390493730892-vi.jpg

47390493727815-vi.jpg

After a bit of masking & spraying...

00390493740905-vi.jpg

Satin black with a silver stripe separating the colors.

Buddy kept dragging it around the yard....

55390493735387-vi.jpg

The windows get tinted this week. Thinking of a small spider web graphic on the leading edge of the rear wheel wells just behind the doors. This thing scoots pretty good too!

I'll be back to normal soon.... :)

Yeah, the Pink turned into buyers remorse at first, but now it's got some cool factor going on. The tinted windows will pull it all together nicely. I told him those White wheels had to go the first time I saw the car....

I also told him to have the windows tinted before I drove it into work to do the NYS Inspection.

Edited by FASTBACK340

wow you don't appreciate how low the car is until you see the dog can stick his nose right into the engine compartment..

Although it is low, that's a healthy 115lb. hound standing next to it. My Wife only has about 5-6 lbs. on him! He's a German Shepherd/Rodesian Ridgeback mix. When he runs through the house, he pushes furniture out of his way....

And while I wouldn't build something like this for myself (we kept our GTI bone stock throughout its life with us....) I am having fun modifying this car. I don't care if its a truck, van, import, domestic, whatever I'm helping a good friend and enjoying the car hobby. And while my Barracuda can inhale this and sneeze it out, it IS fun to drive. Not so much fast as its quick, if you know the difference.

Round #2 this week. I'll post updates when it's ready.

That is a pretty cool little Honda! We cranky old guys need to broaden our horizons a bit. At least encourage the kids to participate, even if the subject matter isn't our very favorite.

A story... right before NNL East a fellow emailed us asking if we could have a tuner class. I emailed back that we didn't and it was too late to consider anything for this year. Then I met the group of very nice young guys at the show. We talked a bit and I remembered that when we did a Tuner theme, and when we did the modern muscle theme, it was pretty well received. Well, there will be a Tuner class at NNL East starting next year. How can we expect young folks to join in on our hobby if we don't invite them in and accommodate their likes?

funny you say that, Tom. The Buckeye Scale Auto Classic did away with the TUNER class as the first year only had 1 entry. But, I have seen quite a few more show up this year at the show. They get grouped in with LowRiders or curbside. Now, most Tuners just can't compete with a well done lowrider, but I personally prefer the tuner aspect to lowriders (depends on the style and quality of either build).

Sad update: While my buddy has been driving the wheels off of his Pink & Black Civic, some POS stole his V-tec 5spd. Del Sol from in front of my house last Friday night. It was there when I came home about midnight, the next morning......

I feel terrible. I should have put it in my yard for him.

You will find it................................minus the B16 and trans. They will probably stuff it down into a CRX or something.

Sorry to hear about the theft. Any car stolen (no matter the make) pisses me off and it is my belief that the thieves should be treated as 'Horse Thieves' were (as these are, after all, the modern horse).

Edited by whale392

Del Sol? maybe they did him a favor.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I really hope he gets his car back.

Start asking questions around the neighborhood, I'm willing to bet the guys were from nearby. I had a $15,000 quad stolen from my friends house within a 2 hour window. Cops were useless, I ended up finding out who it was within 3-4 days by asking questions. Ask the local shops, craigslist etc. Cops usually wouldn't be remotely interested in pursuing something like this.

Yes, having a car stolen sucks! Back in the day, I parked my '56 Chevy outside a pizza place. Came back outside and it was gone! It was later spotted parked on a street in the next town. I got a call that the cops had it. The next call was that the cop got an emergency call and when he got back, my Chevy was gone! You think he would have done something to disable it.

The car was found the next day in a vacant lot in a nearby town. Glass busted, seats slashed, stereo and mag wheels gone. The tow yard was very good, towed it on a dolly and sat it up on blocks in their yard. I got some junk yard rims and tires to get it back home. A few days later someone gave me the names of two high school kids who were bragging about having stolen it. Do you think the local cops even investigated when handed that gift? Nope!

That sucks! I've had cars broken in to sitting in driveway under a bright street light, but none ever stolen. That's why I try to keep my Hondas low key. My CRX idles like a pro stock car because of the cams, but exterior is very low key. I hope they find something other than an empty shell