Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bugatti Type 59 Scratchbuilt in 1/16th Scale

Bugatti Fan

I managed to complete my first scratch built car model ready for the IPMS Scale Modelworld Show at Telford UK in November 2012.

It was built utilising Gerald Wingrove's books as inspiration, and adapting his working methods to making a model in plastics, (except for the hood that was made from Litho plate).

The model was built in fits and starts over a period of about 2 years in all.

3 Pictures I tried to post failed. Perhaps files were too big...High res JPEGs. Will have to retake in low resolution and try to re post.

In the meantime, there are a couple of pictures that can be seen on one of the Scale Modelworld sites.

If you do a web search and type in Scale Modelworld Bugatti Type 59, hopefully some pics may be found.

Edited by Bugatti Fan

Superb. I have been amassing tons of information and parts to build a 1:15 T59 based on the Bburago kit (which really isn't 1:18), and yours looks perfect. My biggest problems are trying to figure out how to build the brake chains and the carburetors, which have to be done from scratch. Did you scratchbuild the piano wire wheels (I got mine from Ruby at bugattibuilder.com)? Also, I can't find more than one picture at the site you referenced. Do you have a link to more shots?

Edited by sjordan2

Always good to see a scratch built model, rather than something just glued together.

If you don't have Photoshop,you could upload your images to Imageshack and resize them, then use the direct link to insert here.

I would like to see construction shots if you have documented the build.

Here's the way I want to build my Bburago -- the Rodney Clarke road version, which has since been restored to its original Grand Prix version.

BugattiT59LPG211.jpg

T5959124postcardcopy.jpg

Here's what I need to scratchbuild and can't quite figure out... carburetors

T59carbdrawing.png

brake chain

T59bicyclechain.png

Edited by sjordan2

Hi Guys, and thanks for your comments.

In answer to some of the questions that have been brought up

My wheels were sort of scratchbuilt from the plastic wheels from the Burago die cast. I removed all the incorrect cross over spokes and maintained the rims only. Plastic card discs were cut out and used as an infill for the backs of the wheels. The conical wheel centres were plunge moulded from plastic card and cemented to the plastic inserts. A dividing head was used to accurately drill the 32 32 16 spoke patterns in the rims and conical wheel centres. Thin stainless steel wire was then used and each spoke fitted individually. I used the Burago tyres as they attempted to follow the Dunlop Racing pattern for the time.

The tension chains were given to me by a model maker friend to stop me going crazy trying to scratch build them. I think that they were from a Revell Ducati motorcycle kit. They are in plastic and make up from individual links. A bit overscale for this model. The Photo Etched Acu Stion ones may be a better option although I have no experience of using them.

As for the carburettors, I simply used bits of plastic card, plastic tubing and plastic rod to make up the assembly. It is a matter of looking at the drawing and try to imagine breaking the main parts down into individual round and square bits.

The linked geared quadrants were cut out of and made from small nylon gear wheels...and yes they were fiddley!

I will try to get some more pictures up as soon as possible.

During the build I took many photos as I went along, and have put a lengthy full build article together. I am thinking of submitting it to the editor of Model Cars magazine, but I am not sure if it would fit in with the magazine's requirements. It would be nice to see all my efforts in print and hopefully may be of benefit to other modellers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Skip

In answer to your last post, have a look at www.partworkmodels.co.uk

Pick up on a thread by a friend of mine named Peter Buckingham who is currently doing an Airfix Bentley build on it.

We met up at a show recently and he took a few pictures of my Bugatti and kindly inserted them into his Bentley thread for added general interest.

One of the views he took looking down will show you how the rear brake cables attach to the rear wheels on the driver's side. You should be able to get a good idea from this. hope this helps.

Hi Skip

In answer to your question

After spraying with a white primer from an aerosol, building up the solid colour from mist coats, the colour paint that I used was French Blue and it is one of the Zero paints range.

It is ready to Airbrush and dries off semi matte. A coat of automotive clear laquer from a rattle can was what I used to finish it off to a nice gloss. The supplier here in the UK is a company named Hiroboy.

I am sure that there will be a supplier somewhere in the U.S. Perhaps Zero Paints have a website of their own with a listing of any suppliers in the U.S.A.

What is described as French Blue is basically a Light Blue colour, so if you cannot get the Zero paint another light blue should suffice. I went to a Bugatti Owners Club UK meeting some time ago and noted that the shade of light blue varied from car to car, so maybe there is no definitive Bugatti blue.

As an alternative you may find an automotive light blue acrylic gloss off the shelf that looks about right from a local auto accessory store may be easier to source.

Hope that this info is of some help.

Hi Skip

In answer to your question

After spraying with a white primer from an aerosol, building up the solid colour from mist coats, the colour paint that I used was French Blue and it is one of the Zero paints range.

It is ready to Airbrush and dries off semi matte. A coat of automotive clear laquer from a rattle can was what I used to finish it off to a nice gloss. The supplier here in the UK is a company named Hiroboy.

I am sure that there will be a supplier somewhere in the U.S. Perhaps Zero Paints have a website of their own with a listing of any suppliers in the U.S.A.

What is described as French Blue is basically a Light Blue colour, so if you cannot get the Zero paint another light blue should suffice. I went to a Bugatti Owners Club UK meeting some time ago and noted that the shade of light blue varied from car to car, so maybe there is no definitive Bugatti blue.

As an alternative you may find an automotive light blue acrylic gloss off the shelf that looks about right from a local auto accessory store may be easier to source.

Hope that this info is of some help.

Thanks, Noel. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, there's really no such thing as "Bugatti Blue," just as there are a multitude of shades of "British Racing Green." I do know that the classic Bugatti Blue was supposedly based on the color of a Gauloises cigarette pack (no longer imported in the US) as favored by Ettore's wife. I've gathered a number of Tamiya and Testors blue paints, but the "French Blue" you mention is far deeper than the others in those brands, and resembles the darker blues you'll find in the Schlumpf Bugatti collection.

Edited by sjordan2

Glad to be of help Skip.

One of my must sees is what was the Schlumpf Collection.

It is now the French National Motor Museum and is located at Mulhouse in North East France.

I believe that there is also a Railway (Railroad) Museum, and an Industrial/Technology Museum also close at hand.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the encouragement Ira. Skip, I hope you received your magazine by the time you read this.

If any of you guys out there have any ideas about how my Bugatti article could have been improved, by all means please let me have your suggestions. I hope that I did not skimp on anything too much.