Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 FERRARI F40 by Protar FULL DETAIL BUILD! (UPDATE 1-22-14)

Kennyboy

I picked this model up as a glue bomb about 23 years ago, disassembled it, stripped the paint/chrome, and had not touched it until a few days ago.

P1010719_zps4e83099a.jpg

I have decided to start on the interior which included a very sparsely appointed black plastic dashboard. Drilled out all the gauge holes etc and then prepped it with primer, sprayed it black and added embossing powder to it. When the black paint/powder was dry, I painted over it with Apple Barrel light gray acrylic with airbrush. When that dryed, I sanded the gray with 1000 grit dry to knock down the texture and sprayed another light coat of gray over it. The result was something that looks and feels like gray suede. Perfect! Added all the buttons and scratch built the underside of the dash from wood. So everything below the line across the dash was made by me, it will house the 3 air vents for the A/C. Oh, the gauge cluster is pretty much done, it is awaiting the PE bezel so not installed yet.

P1010713_zps1b7d4d16.jpg

P1010711_zpsae471a4b.jpg

Where I am at on the interior tub so far, I have the shifter gate, shifter, and pedals on the way in PE. The beige colored parts will be painted pearl gray and then CF added.

P1010708_zpscf363a5a.jpg

Seats are going to be next, they have the belts molded into them, I will be Dremeling them out and adding new "actual" belts when done.

Edited by Kennyboy

Does this kit have a detailed engine?

Yes, to a point. The engine is multiple pieces (not curbside) but the finest detail on it from Protar is plug wires. I plan to change that. The exhaust on this car WILL be 316 stainless tubing. I have the tubing already and it will be easier for me to achieve the proper blue/purple hue of heat trails by heating it with a mini torch. The intercoolers will receive the photo etch treatment.

Edited by Kennyboy

this is to cool !!! I will be watching this one close , my brother use to have a real F-40

WOW! That is too cool Anne. I know a guy around here that has a real one. Car is amazing. This is the closest I will ever get to one though. :D

Cant wait to see this one built up. Im planning on building my revell f40 up as the competizion racer.

Any thing learned here will go far to add the missing detail from the RM kit

Now that I would like to see. A 1/12 scale Competizione. This one will be yellow when it is done. (One of my favorite colors!) Thanks Gary.

I wonder if this is the same kit that Revell offered a few years ago ? As we all know, Revell now has the Protar moulds and has sold Protar 1/12th F1 Ferrari kits ( 126C2 and the 312T3 ) under the Revell name.

I'm not sure about the newer kits, someone did a comparison between this and the Revell F40 a while back and side-by-side this looks way more like the 1:1, also I know this is an original Protar from Italy (the instructions are primarily Italian.) :)

Some pics of the carbon I sprayed on the seats. Was done with a base of semi gloss black, covered with gray sheer material and sprayed over with House of Kolor Galaxy Gray Pearl. I don't mind how it turned out. Pretty convincing....

Some pics of it in different light

P1010725_zps03121503.jpg

P1010727_zpsed2c6dcf.jpg

P1010729_zps2ac9382a.jpg

P1010730_zps89a6c908.jpg

P1010733_zpsb58831d8.jpg

Today's progress, Kandy Pagan Gold over the carbon made a more yellow looking carbon (similar to Kevlar different weave.) I like how it turned out because the gray was too well gray. Below are pics of the seat progress up until now.

Untouched before cutting out the seat belts/hardware:

P1010720_zps1aa0dbf6.jpg

Added individual seat cushions in the seat and painted first (of many) coat of flat red. The seat cushions will receive the embossing powder treatment soon then paint again.

P1010740_zps50470cf8.jpg

And the new pics of the seatback

P1010742_zps0e6e5df6.jpg

P1010745_zpsbf8dd97d.jpg

P1010744_zps16047fcb.jpg

Cheers till next time!

My Uncle had one too I believe :)

Well aint that a coincident. My dad has two of them. One is a daily driver and the other, well, he beats it with a hammer whenever he gets mad at his most unfavorite politician.

Back to the build (sorry, i could not resist). The carbon kevlar is awesome on the seat back. I will try that techneque when ever i do mine

The seat padding is a smart idea. Please continue

Edited by lanesteele240

How are you going to do the exterior paint to match the 1:1? I spent a little while with one of these and they are a fine piece of machinery

I had the opportunity to drive one. I'm 6'3" 235, I couldn't drive it, even with my shoes off. pedals are too close together and I didn't really fit. My all time favorite car. I was really bummed.

How are you going to do the exterior paint to match the 1:1? I spent a little while with one of these and they are a fine piece of machinery

Hey Fred, I plan on painting the car Yellow. Red is too overdone. I also had the opportunity to check one out close up when I was autocrossing. A local guy would bring his F40 out to play.

I had the opportunity to drive one. I'm 6'3" 235, I couldn't drive it, even with my shoes off. pedals are too close together and I didn't really fit. My all time favorite car. I was really bummed.

That really sucks Cameron! I am also 6' 3" and about 200 lbs. My favorite as well.