Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 FERRARI F40 by Protar FULL DETAIL BUILD! (UPDATE 1-22-14)

Kennyboy

That is really shocking. It's a shame that the Tamiya 1:24 kit has this one beat hands-down in detail. You're doing some amazing work turning this into an accurate replica!

Thanks Jason! Yeah I wish that this was like a Tamiya in quality too!

This is an awesome build.

I'm pretty floored so many people have sat in/driven/have relatives who own F40s. I've seen one. Once. Going the opposite way in trafic. On a very large bridge.

I was a Jaguar tech at a high end dealer. we had one in for a day or two. I have been lucky enough to drive some of the best performance cars in the world. It would have been more, but I couldn't fit in some.

The Lotus Exige was by far the most fun. If I had money, that's the first car I'd buy.

Nice work!

Really like how the seats turned out.

I painted for a Ferrari dealer back early 90's.

We got one in stock for a short time before it sold.

It was a big deal when it arrived.

The dealership hosted an exclusive, catered champagne sunday brunch for the employees, where we could examine the car in detail & at our leisure.

Very impressive machine!

Nice work!

Really like how the seats turned out.

I painted for a Ferrari dealer back early 90's.

We got one in stock for a short time before it sold.

It was a big deal when it arrived.

The dealership hosted an exclusive, catered champagne sunday brunch for the employees, where we could examine the car in detail & at our leisure.

Very impressive machine!

Thank you Ray! I am really enjoying your scratch build as well!

I would have loved to be one of you guys back then!! One of my all time favorite exotics.

If Tamiya ever does a 1/12 F-40, I'm selling everything I can to get it.

It would be SO refreshing to build a large Tamiya kit but the price tag ($300-$400) is usually what scares me away from their larger ones. I know that they are nowhere near the price of Pocher Rivarossi F40 kits but hard to justify that kind of coin for a display piece. (at least at this time.)

It would be SO refreshing to build a large Tamiya kit but the price tag ($300-$400) is usually what scares me away from their larger ones. I know that they are nowhere near the price of Pocher Rivarossi F40 kits but hard to justify that kind of coin for a display piece. (at least at this time.)

It would have to be something I'm really interested in. I don't really care for the Enzo or Carrera GT. If they keep going like this, I expect the 288 GTO to be their next 1/12, which I am interested in.

Your build is coming together very nicely.

It would have to be something I'm really interested in. I don't really care for the Enzo or Carrera GT. If they keep going like this, I expect the 288 GTO to be their next 1/12, which I am interested in.

Your build is coming together very nicely.

That would be cool. I have a 1/16 Fujimi 288 GTO that is in the "on deck" position that I picked up a few years back for a decent price completely sealed.

Thanks, been working on the exhaust headers (solder) and thanks to you Cameron, the intercoolers are almost done.

Had to do a little filling like you said. ;)

Excellent work Kenn, looking forward to seeing more!!

Thank you Jeremy, I will hopefully have some new pics soon. I have been trying to fit this build in with my hectic work schedule.

A little update:

-The intake manifold was cut apart completely to install the intake runners and the holes at each runner that were not present in the kit engine. ( Currently sanding and filling and sanding and...)

-Added the surface detail to the valve covers (including the cam timing sensors), transmission, and engine block

-Enlarged and detailed the intercoolers as well as added PE screen to the tops

-Built both headers out of solder and currently working on scratch turbos.

-FINALLY got the wheels to take paint (third time is a charm...kept cracking and crazing.)

Pics will happen when the sun is out. Thanks for following.

Edited by Kennyboy

• 6 months later...

Well guys......I PULLED It out of the dust to get back at it. I have been trying to put a couple minutes here and there into this build but enough is enough.....! I will finish this car this time around!

I am going to work on the fuel injection rails and lines today as well as the little details around the engine it so desperately needs. Here are some photos of where I am since last time.

P1020579_zps2fe4a145.jpg

P1020580_zps65bb3b07.jpg

P1020581_zps8645eee0.jpg

P1020582_zpscd6e9ffd.jpg

Not to put anymore pressure on you but, we're all standing over your shoulder watching for your next move!...LOL...Joe

:lol: Today got the fuel rails and lines done (with Aeroquip fittings) and painted the intake manifold correct color. Added the photoetch Ferrari scripts to the valve covers and the intake plenum as well.

Next will be the ignition coils (scratch built) and plug wires.

Pics tomorrow when it is light out.

PICS AS PROMISED: Yesterday's progress on the fuel injection system/ emblems on engine. Irratating that most of the work I did is hidden by the intake plenum.....oh well, I know it is there! Ferrari emblems were VERY delicate and were only held together by the application film. --(Detailwise, everything you see was added or made by me.......the kit included nothing but the big parts.)

P1020583_zpsa5416715.jpg

P1020584_zps7d9f6303.jpg

P1020585_zpsf62ddeee.jpg

P1020586_zps65729558.jpg

You are doing a great job on this, Ken. About 10+ years ago I searched and searched and found the "clear body" version from Protar. It cost stupid money for what the model turned out to be as the "clear" body was not very clear and had too many distortions. Kinda hard to fix that, so I sold it all. I'd still like to build two of the F40 race versions, and held onto a few of the Revell "slightly detailed" versions. Dunno if I'll ever get to them, but that engine is very nice. I used one of the V8's in my '37 Cord custom. Odd, but a good choice to hook up to the Cord's front wheel drive. Please keep giving us pics.

I tried to post a pic, but nothing happens. You can click on the Fotki link below, my albums, my models built, page 8, #189 or 014.JPG.

Edited by deja-view