Model Cars Magazine Forum

this is something that's bugging me , with all the aftermarket stuff they sell for all these scale cars there must be something better for carpet , felt looks cheesy and I guess the flocking ( that's what it's called right ? ) is ok but to bad someone does not weave a scale carpet , I would think it would sell like hot cakes or is there something out there and it's like a top secret

tTry a search here and at scaleautomag.com for embossing powder, which is usually found in the scrapbooking section at craft stores. It has a finer grain and can easily be painted to your desired color. I generally am involved in 1/16, and I can work with slightly coarser materials, such as felt jewelry box lining material from a wood crafts store, which is usually too thick for smaller scales but can be "skived," or very carefully shaved at the backing, to be thinner (and I've found that "faux velvet" ribbon, such as from Christmas wreaths, is just right at 1/16, but hard to find in a variety of colors other than red). But some say (I've never tried it) that if you grind flocking as in a mortar/pestle system and sift it through a mesh kitchen sieve/strainer that the effect is better with finer particles (so the carpet doesn't look like a shag rug). I would say, however, the carpet in my old C4 Corvette was more shaggy than most.

Edited by sjordan2

I agree, most commercially available flocking materials seem way out of scale to me and I usually avoid using it...

Personally, I find that very fine grit sandpaper, cut into shape and painted, works well for simulating interior carpeting... It's a bit difficult to use on curved surfaces, but I think it looks decent on flat areas :)

Edited by PowerPlant

I know when I first got into this hobby again I bought a felt marketed as carpet and was really disappointed then went to flocking which was a little better then I heard about embossing powder. It has a learning curve but by my third model I was sold. I'm looking at doing an old school lowrider now and I'm looking for dingalballs that you used to see around the old bomber

I've done the flocking and the embossing powder. I have to say it's embossing powder for the win. The flocking seems to be too loose to really emulate carpeting as far as I'm concerned. Plus if the powder doesn't come in the correct color, you can paint it.

What do you guys used to glue the embossing powder or flocking?

John Pol

I put embossing powder in the same way as flocking ... diluted Elmer's glue, powder on and pressed down a bit. I put the powder on heavy and shake off and recycle same as flocking.

Anny,

Embossing powder produces much better results than flocking and looks (in scale) much more like short-nap automotive carpet.

You'll find it at your favorite arts & crafts store right next to your stamping and scrapbooking supplies.

I use Embossing powder and white elmers glue right out of the bottle. I've tried thinning it but i never saw a difference.

As far as I'm concerned, it's definitely embossing powder. I use the white any paint it any color I chose to suite the interior match.

Looking for a source of scale carpet for a custom van anyone have any ideas

l have seen the lowrider carpet in packs on ebay but it is for models....l think it's Hopin Hydros. l hope thats right...

Check the dollhouse section at your hpbby shop or hobby lobby. There is a prodcut that is basically felt on a sticky backing that you trim and apply like a sticker. There is also flocking, but most of the time too out of scale. There is textured paint, which when done right can look great. You can also use embosing powder, which again can be used in several different ways.

You say "Custom Van"? If you are building a 70's-style custom van, customizers liked to use some pretty outrageous shag carpeting, which was quite popular in houses back then (remember shag carpet with nap so long that you used a "carpet rake" or carpet comb to raise the loops up to get the full effect? For that style carpet, you might look at cheaper terry cloth towels or washcloths (or go to a fabric store and check out their terry cloth selection). Terry cloth was a material we teenagers used for carpets in customs we were building back in the early 60's, and it can have a very nice effect.

Another fabric that might work is velvet. Of course, velvet has a good bit of "sheen" to it, but with an airbrush and LIGHTLY airbrushing some flat finish paint on it after it's glued down in place should give it the flat finish appearance that scale deep pile carpet should have.

I'd check a good fabric store, such as Jo-Ann Fabrics if you have one in a reasonable driving distance, looking for fabrics with a "pile" texture to their surface--often times fabric stores will have remnants on sale (remnants are the leftovers from bolts of cloth that are too small for making a piece of clothing, but may still be useful--they tend to sell remnants at a fraction of the price per yard off a full bolt.

Art

If you want the shag look, go with flocking. If you want a factory looking carpet, go with embossing powder or baking soda.