Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Revell's Squarebody Pickup kits

kalbert

I'm just wondering here; how about using the amt chevy van for a front frame clip donor?

mike

Actually, that would not be inappropriate, as the suspension systems on those are virtually identical on the 1:1. The steering box would have to be angled back to roughly a 30 degree angle from the almost upright position it is on the van chassis, but otherwise, it is pretty spot on.

The Revell 64/65 Chevy Pickup would also be a suitable donor for front suspension parts. The frame on the Street Pickup is just all kinds of wrong, so the 64/65 would be a pretty decent donor for the whole frame other than the rear suspension.

• 1 year later...

boys & girls,

I know this is a long ways down the road, but I'm looking for one more piece of information about the Revell Chevy Street Pickup, as well as the combo kits, Blazers, etc. can someone tell me what model year(s) those kit represented. one of 'em was marked as a '76, I think. would that be right  for the whole lot? lemme know....... thanx, robbshelby

With the exception of the GMC wrecker, the Revell kits are all '77-'78 model year. The stepside trucks are an aftermarket California Stepside bed, not factory fenders. The GMC wrecker kits are actually a '79-'80, not a '77 as labelled on the recent reissue. :)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
1 hour ago, alexis said:

I have that Stomper Blazer and Dune Buggy kit.  I'll bet that's a kit I still could not give away 35 years later.

I think you'd lose that bet. I don't think either has been reissued since, so 35+ years of pent up demand.

I don't think any of the Revell Chevy '73-'86 Pickup/Blazer Snap kits have been reissued since '85, have they?

On 4/8/2020 at 7:38 PM, Casey said:

I think you'd lose that bet. I don't think either has been reissued since, so 35+ years of pent up demand.

I don't think any of the Revell Chevy '73-'86 Pickup/Blazer Snap kits have been reissued since '85, have they?

55 minutes ago, Fabrux said:

Not that I've ever come across. Only the wrecker.

The only one that I know of too in the Revell Squarebody Snap lineup is the wrecker also, but if the tooling is still floating around for a squarebody Blazer from Revell, someone better wake up because so far RC2/Round2 have already released their snap squarebody Blazer twice. 

2007 Issue

653654237_AMTChevyBlazer2007Issue.jpg.e96a10a4ba92d2d45bb28879d66a9286.jpg

2013 Issue

861525017_MPCChevyBlazer2013Issue.jpg.e63b7e8d246cc0c58d22c72c0f12ed63.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/9/2020 at 10:16 PM, highway said:

if the tooling is still floating around for a squarebody Blazer from Revell

I don't think Revell does. The 1/25 scale snap Blazer hasn't been run in decades, and the 1/24 Monogram kit seems to have been long ago modified into the pulling truck, so the MPC snap kit is probably the only choice now.

Revell1980Catlog18-vi.jpg

On 4/18/2020 at 12:43 PM, Casey said:

the 1/24 Monogram kit seems to have been long ago modified into the pulling truck

And why would they do that??!!

I would've thought that they had learned their lessons decades ago, not to permanently modify tooling into one-off limited interest subjects. 

Then again, years ago I thought I had read somewhere that Monogram didn't permanently change anything, they only added/subtracted inserts to make different subjects. I'm hoping that tale will someday prove to be true, especially with the Blazer. 

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I think the reason was mentioned here: 

It says the tool broke and was repaired, it doesn't say when or that it was ruined and HAD to be made into a puller 4x4 truck. In fact, the body and much of the chassis and basic interior parts are still stock. So if they still have the hood, cap, seats, bumpers and wheels - the stock Blazer could still be available. 

But are those parts still around? I really want to see the Blazer/Jimmy come back!

On 5/19/2013 at 2:59 PM, Fabrux said:

Motorworks series and included a tube of Testors glue. Molded in yellow with the same stock number.

revell0806a.jpg

Looks like Revell packaged the same kit, #85-0806, in a different box:

76_Chevrolet_Street_PickUp_Box-vi.jpg

On 5/19/2013 at 2:56 PM, Fabrux said:

This same kit was also issued in 1996 with different box art but curiously the same stock number. Again, molded in black.

revell7135a.jpg

And also in a Revell-Monogram box again as kit #7135, but this time molded in white plastic:

RevellMono7135.jpg.810f0f96615f2f2d7011d6d9ecf20d6e.jpg

RevellMono7135three.jpg.48a84c9b5d0b7ae9e1de1cb1c7a65157.jpg

RevellMono7135two.jpg.00fe974d84b403dce7c4e19c49a62964.jpg

On 4/19/2020 at 9:48 PM, Casey said:

And also in a Revell-Monogram box again as kit #7135, but this time molded in white plastic:

RevellMono7135.jpg.810f0f96615f2f2d7011d6d9ecf20d6e.jpg

RevellMono7135three.jpg.48a84c9b5d0b7ae9e1de1cb1c7a65157.jpg

RevellMono7135two.jpg.00fe974d84b403dce7c4e19c49a62964.jpg

The chassis in this kit is so far from being correct that it is basically useless unless you are building a curbside or shelf model. It is a shame because unless Round2 can bring back the 78 Chevy stepside kit that had a correct 2wd chassis, there isn't much else out there.