Model Cars Magazine Forum

History of Revell's Squarebody Pickup kits

kalbert

• 2 months later...

I confess that I had no love for the Revell squarebody kits. That being said, once I started researching this tooling due to many requests and confusions with the Monogram squarebody kits, I discovered that out of the three manufacturers the Revell version is the most diverse. I have catalogued 22 different issues of this tooling spanning from 1978 through to 2012. The Revell kit also has the distinction of being the only squarebody kit ever issued in ensemble packs with trailers and various accessories. I don’t claim this article to be the be-all-and-end-all of this tooling’s history, and in fact there is one kit for which I only have a box cover image and no other information. During my research, more kits popped up that I never knew existed and I will be pleased to add more information to this article as new information surfaces. So, let us begin!

From what I have been able to determine, this tooling was first issued in 1978, barely recognizable as a GM pickup, in the form of the Sneaky Pete California Pickup. This kit depicts a heavily customized pickup with a big rig Peterbilt style front clip, big rig style wheels, exhaust stacks, bed rails, and a California Stepside bed (aside: California Stepside was a customizing company that offered stepside beds for full-size and quarter-ton pickups. They could be installed on any short-wheelbase pickup from any manufacturer). A separate cab roof insert piece was included that added clearance lights and mounted bosses for air horns. This kit was marketed as a glue kit with a very simplified chassis and molded in brown. Released under two different stock numbers, H-1379 and H-1380, with two box art versions.

revell_h1379.jpg

revell_h1380.jpg

This same tooling was also offered as the Midnite Cowboy Custom Chevy Wrecker, offering a clue as to the base pickup this kit was based on. This version replaced the California Stepside bed with a wrecker body and was again marketed as a glue kit. Released as stock number H-1383 and molded in black, this kit was also released in 1978.

revell_h1383.jpg

Hoping to maximize the potential of this new tooling, Revell finished up the Chevrolet body adding a stock front clip but retaining the same simplified chassis and California Stepside bed. The Ice Patrol California Pickup kit was also released in 1978 and included off-road accessories, exhaust stacks, and a snowmobile. The cab roof opening was re-shaped slightly for a sunroof in place of the clearance lights. Molded in blue, this kit was issued with the stock number H-1384.

revell_h1384.jpg

In 1978, the US’s favourite down-home country boy was none other than President Jimmy Carter’s little brother Billy. Simply by virtue of being the sitting president’s brother, Billy Carter was afforded celebrity status and managed to bumble his way through many official duties (see his Wikipedia article). Hoping to capitalize on his fame, Revell modified their squarebody kit to reflect a replica Billy’s “Redneck Power” pickup. This version added a wood front push bumper, wood beside rails, and a bed cargo of beer bottles and other “redneck” gear. The original clearance light cab roof insert was used. This was the last version of this tooling released in 1978, molded in white and with the stock number H-1385.

revell_h1385.JPG

In 1979, a new tooling intended for release as a line of snap kits was created based on the glue kit line Revell had been issuing. This new tooling included 4x4 suspension and was molded as a Blazer and a pickup with the same body dimensions as a Blazer. The first kit issued with this new tooling was the Chevy 4x4 Pickup. Molded in tan and black, this kit included a one-piece pickup body, molded fender flares, Fey rear step bumper, Hickey front bumper with winch and grille guard, and Jackman wheels. The cab roof of this version was completely closed. This kit was issued under the stock number 6200.

revell6200.jpg

• Like 1

The same basic kit was also offered as a Blazer, which added the Blazer’s removable hard top and removed the rear cab wall bulkhead. This version added a different front bumper but used the same wheels and rear bumper as the pickup, plus the addition of a roof rack with cargo that snapped into the molded in hardtop. Molded in grey and black, this kit was released in 1979 with the stock number 6204.

revell6204.jpg

The Blazer was reissued again in 1979 with different decals as the Chevy Mudslinger, this time molded in tan and black. Other than the decals, this was a straight reissue of kit 6204. This version was given the stock number 6217.

revell6217.jpg

The glue kit made a re-appearance in 1979 as the Big Red California Pickup. This was a straight re-issue of Billy Carter’s Redneck Power pickup, only this time molded in red and given the stock number 7305. This would be the last stock pickup version with the clearance light cab insert.

revell7305.JPG

For 1980, the glue tooling was heavily modified to produce the Big 6 Wheeler. This kit included many big rig accessories including a new grille and front clip, sleeper, and a long-wheelbase dually bed. The cab front the glue kit was modified to include a molded-in sunvisor and engine, and a hood scoop was added to the hood. The original cab roof insert was used. Released as a snap kit under the stock number H-6407, this kit was issued in red and black in the US and Canada and in blue and black under the Lodela brand in Mexico.

revell_h6407.jpg

chevy6wheeler.png

Again in 1980, the Big 6 Wheeler tooling was modified to return the cab’s front clip to a stock pickup. The dually bed was replaced with a Holmes wrecker body, and the grille was modified to resemble a 1979 GMC only with no emblem. Also new to this version was a combination front push bumper and grille guard. This version was labeled as the Captain Hook Wrecker, molded in black, and issued under the stock number 6408.

revell6408.jpg

Edited by kataranga
  • Like 1

Hoping to capitalize on popular TV show themed kits, Revell reissued the first version snap pickup as Jon’s Chevy 4x4 from the show CHiPs. The actual kit, however, ended up having only the decals and body colour in common with the truck it was attempting to depict… A straight re-issue of kit 6200, this version was molded in blue and black and given the stock number 6421.

revell6421.JPG

In the first of several combination kits, the glue kit last seen as the Big Red California Pickup was re-issued in 1981 as Mr. Sandman bundled with a sand rail-type off-road vehicle and a trailer. Molded in yellow and black, this was issued under stock number 7404.

revell7404.jpg

In 1980 a new toy was sweeping the nation: the Stomper. These little battery powered 4x4 toys originally depicted a Chevy Blazer, Ford Bronco, Jeep Honcho, and a Dodge Warlock. In a licensing agreement with the owner of these small toys, Revell (now owned by Ceji) released a line of kits using existing tooling of Stomper vehicles adding the Stomper 4x4 wheels and lifted suspension. The first Stomper kit was the Blazer, and featured the same decals as the smaller, battery-powered version. Molded in black, this kit was issued under the stock number 6423.

revell6423.jpg

A second Stomper kit was issued, this time on the snap pickup tooling. No other information is known about this kit at this time.

Revell_Stomper_4X4_Chevy_Pickup.jpg

Sometime between 1980 and 1984 the snap kit pickup was re-issued, this time molded in blue and black. No other information is known about this kit at this time.

revell_snap.jpg

The second of the Revell squarebody combination kits was released in 1984. This issue featured the snap kit pickup molded in red and black accompanied by two dirt bikes and the same trailer as the Mr. Sandman kit. Issued with stock number 6411.

revell6411.jpg

• Like 1

Also in 1984, a third combination kit was issued combining the Stomper Blazer with the same dune buggy and trailer as the Mr. Sandman kit only with stomper wheels for the trailer as well. Molded in white and black with the stock number 6508.

revell6508.jpg

As part of a company-wide licensing agreement, Revell issued many kits under the HOT ROD Magazine label. One of these kits was the glue kit Chevy pickup. The kit was modified to include a front roll pan, rear drag slicks, sleek mirrors, and zoomie-style exhaust. All other accessories previously issued with this kit were not included. Molded in black, this kit was issued under the stock number 7135 in 1987.

revell7135.JPG

This same kit was also issued in 1996 with different box art but curiously the same stock number. Again, molded in black.

revell7135a.jpg

This same version of the pickup was issued in a special promotional twin pack at K-mart stores bundled with a 1956 Ford F-100. This version was molded in dark green and featured green versions of the HOT ROD decals.

twin_pack.jpg

The fourth and last combination kit (to date) was issued in 1990. This version included the same glue pickup as the HOT ROD issue and was paired up with a Mach I racing boat and trailer. This kit was molded in white for the pickup and blue for the boat and trailer under the stock number 7240.

revell7240.JPG

The Captain Hook wrecker was issued again in 1994, this time simply called Wrecker Truck. This version was molded in red under the stock number 6393.

revell6393.jpg

Edited by kataranga

The original Sneaky Pete/Midnite Cowboy tooling was issued again in 2001, not having seen store shelves since 1978. This kit was part of the Blacktop Warriors theme and labeled the Alley Rat. A straight re-issue of the Sneaky Pete, this version was molded in black and given the stock number 2145.
alleyrat.JPG

The street version of the glue kit pickup was again issued in 2004 as the 76 [sic] Chevy Street Pickup. This version was molded in yellow and featured the same decals as the HOT ROD Magazine issue. Stock number 0806.

This same issue was also boxed in a Walmart only issue in the Motorworks series and included a tube of Testors glue. Molded in yellow with the same stock number.

revell0806a.jpg

Thanks Casey for finding this one!

The wrecker snap kit was re-issued again in 2012 as the ’77 [sic] GMC Wrecker Truck, curiously as a glue kit. The only modifications to the kit since the 1994 issue were new decals and inclusion of Goodyear Tracker A/T tires instead of the original plastic tires. Molded in white, this latest version was issued under the stock number 7220.
revell85-7220.jpg

Edited by kataranga

I have heard mentioned in the past that there is no relation between the glue and snap kits, however I present the following pictures:

DSC_0867.JPG

On the left is the 1996 issue of the HOT ROD Magazine kit, on the right is the 2012 wrecker pickup. The under hood engraving is identical with the addition of the molded in engine for the snap kit. The hoods interchange.

DSC_0866.JPG

The front of the kits are very similar, with the exception of the snap body being updated to include a one-piece chrome grille and marker light fairing featured on the 1979 and 1980 model year trucks.

Compare the above pictures with this picture of the snap Blazer/pickup:
591671176_o.jpg

The Blazer/pickup body added the molded-in engine but used the same grille opening as the original glue kit. The Big 6 Wheeler and wrecker body used the same engine insert but enlarged the grille opening.

One difference of note between the snap and glue kits is the window pieces are not a direct swap. The windshield and rear window fit in the openings, however the glue cab is slightly longer, thus causing the windows to not quite fit properly.

I hope you have enjoyed reading this article as much as I enjoyed researching it! I look forward to comments. B)

I know that the current gmc glue kit is 1/25 and the gmc wrecker snap is 1/24 I learned the hard way interiors don't interchange

All of the kits listed in this thread are 1:25 scale; the interiors and hoods all interchange. The GMC with the plow is 1:24 scale.

The real bummer on the green one is it's paired with the equally or worse '56 F100 which I just did for the first and last time. If I do get my hands on the twin pack, I'll throw the F100 away and spare someone alot of trouble :o

I've always wanted the Ice Patrol kit, I think it's because my older cousin Tony (RIP mate) built it when he was about 17 and I was about 6. Still remember it. Most of my older cousins built models and a few stuck in my memory the Ice Patrol, California Cruiser van and Willys Gasser pick up are the most vivid.

I'd also love to get the Mr Sandman set.

I can help, as I recently acquired an unbuilt Billy Carter truck.

001_zps01c2893d.jpg

The tree layout is essentially the same on all the glue versions, other than the parts for the 2 with a non stock cab and the additional parts for the Ice Patrol Hot Rod versions.

Pics of the Ice Patrol decal sheet:

IMG_9205.jpg

Contest lit:

IcePatrolSweepstakes.jpg

The most disappointing thing about this series of kits is the front suspension, which is accurate for neither a C- (2WD) nor K-series (4WD) pickup. It does have parallel leaf springs up front, but has a solid beam or tube axle-- the same setup in every glue kit. Huge disappointment to say the least, and the Ice Patrol version's chassis/frame was laden with sink marks, not to mentioned the rear wheel arches had wheel flares but not the (mismatched) front wheel arches?!!? The Arctic Cat snowmobile did make up for some of the kit's shortcomings, but Chris' review of the Monogram, Revell, and MPC '73-'87(?) Chevy/GMC kits show how badly a new, modern kit is needed.