Model Cars Magazine Forum

Vector W2 scratch build

Jeremy Jon

Here's a current scratch build I have on the bench, one of the 'many' cars I've wanted to build in 1:24 plastic, but no kit was available

The Vector has a colorful history, due to it's colorful creator Gerry Weigart

In brief, the W2 was the first operational Vector he built, and many believed was several cars, but was in fact just one, which he kept making changes to in appearance and details

Arguably though, it was an American supercar for it's time!

If some details seem odd, it's because instead of being just a straight build, this I am constructing in a manner for casting duplicates of, into ultimately a full kit form, so the first images you see are infact the master construction, and when finished up will be the built & painted out casting from this master

I've never been one for 'curbside' only models, so this one is with a full detailed drivetrain, interior and opening doors + engine cover

Enjoy! :)

post-12003-0-51531100-1369026121_thumb.j

post-12003-0-22601300-1369026156_thumb.j

post-12003-0-99629300-1369026193_thumb.j

post-12003-0-24162500-1369026250_thumb.j

post-12003-0-21684000-1369026284_thumb.j

post-12003-0-69017300-1369026359_thumb.j

post-12003-0-16969900-1369026385_thumb.j

Edited by Jeremy Jon

Nice work there Jeremy. Looks really good so far. According to the motoring press of the day, Wiegert was rumored to have fleeced investors to the tune of $40 million during the project, with very little to show for it. As you say, the W2 was painted several colors and exhibited as different cars, part of the deception.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Aside from fleecing investors, caroll Shelby did the same thing with cobra number 1. It is currently blue but wore no less than 6 colors. This was done for magazine testing and press. He had little money and wanted the world to think he had several cars but he really only had the one!

Aside from fleecing investors, caroll Shelby did the same thing with cobra number 1. It is currently blue but wore no less than 6 colors. This was done for magazine testing and press. He had little money and wanted the world to think he had several cars but he really only had the one!

Yes, but Shelby was a real car-guy, with a track record, and did series-produce cars. I remember the Vector was stunning when first introduced in the early '70s, but was getting a little long in the tooth by the time a running W2 was intro'd in '79. I really would have liked to see the car fully developed and put into production. The company seemed to be plagued with financial problems from the beginning, and I honestly have no idea if the difficulties came from poor management internally or from outside problems. Funding small car companies has always been extremely difficult. From my own perspective, there always seemed to be a lack of nuts-and-bolts know-how within the company...more marketing hype and smoke-and-mirrors than solid engineering. I could be wrong.

Still, it looks like Jeremy is doing good work on this, and it looks also like he has accurate information to work from. It should be a real beauty.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

I agree fully. Remember the bricklin? Funded by a provincial govt in Canada. Lots of shady deals and money lost there. I believe the govt just got done paying that mess off a couple yes ago lol

Oh, and John delorean.... Lol

Edited by freakshow12

Nice work there Jeremy. Looks really good so far. According to the motoring press of the day, Wiegert was rumored to have fleeced investors to the tune of $40 million during the project, with very little to show for it. As you say, the W2 was painted several colors and exhibited as different cars, part of the deception.

I recall that part of the Vector story, as well. I wonder, what ever came of the whole project?

I recall that part of the Vector story, as well. I wonder, what ever came of the whole project?

I did a LITTLE research as a result of this post, and WikiP has an article on the history of Vector Motors, etc....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_Motors

I seem to recall some of the cars being built with turboed Chevy engines and Toronado gearboxes.

Apparently Vector DID produce 19 W8 cars from '89-'93. There was a later WX3, and an M12 (apparently a re-bodied Lambo Diablo, with 14 built from '95-'99). The latest info is dated 2007, and it looks like Mr. Weigert was still trying to get his car company flying then.

Here's the current Vector (copyright 2008) website. I wish him well. http://www.vectormotors.com/media.html

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Wow ...thanks guys for the great replies, I appreciate it!

It's a fun project, and much more to come yet! :D

You guys are correct, the W2 sits in sad shape somewhere at the Vector shops now, with many parts missing

The last iteration of the W2 was a pre-production version of the W8, of which 19 W8s were built, IIRC not one of them "exactly" alike

The later M12 were completely different cars, generally spoken as the "post Wiegert" cars, the M12 shared the V12 engine with Diablo, but all else was bespoke sharing nothing else, and produced by a Malaysian company that bought out majority ownership in the company, they eventually fired Wiegert, he fought back and now re-owns all Vector rights again

Gerry sure is a colorful character (he later headed a jet ski business too), cudos for following through 18 years to make at least a few drivable cars

For all the money private investors dumped into the W2, it at least had some top grade stuff in it, the chassis was advanced for the time, an aluminum monocoque with composite fiber bodywork

The SBC was a NASCAR derived & sleeved Rodeck aluminum block with forged internals, B&M custom built the 425TH trans for high horsepower and manual shifting, with a fully custom Torsen differential, the brakes were big for the day 12.2" x 1.4" rotors with racing 4 piston calipers

Making more than 600hp + 600ft-lbs was a lot for the '80's!

Okay, there are items yet to be shown like the head light louvers & a few engine heat covers, which will be made of photo-etch metal and in the final assembly later!

Tonight's pics of the chassis and drivetrain started! :)

post-12003-0-43162500-1369101268_thumb.j

post-12003-0-10774100-1369101300_thumb.j

post-12003-0-45467500-1369101562_thumb.j

post-12003-0-60138000-1369101592_thumb.j

post-12003-0-67782000-1369101643_thumb.j

post-12003-0-97192900-1369101668_thumb.j

post-12003-0-63863700-1369101744_thumb.j

Edited by Jeremy Jon