Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone making a light duty diesel engine?

It's hard to imagine we still don't have anything in this area... Albeit I poses none of the skills or time necessary to do one myself, with all the other outstanding stuff out there and the popularity of light duty diesel over the past 10 or so years you'd think we would see examples of everything!

• 5 months later...

I guess nobody would by a late model diesel dually to pull a car trailer to show off a hot rod or race car.

I've been saying it for years- if somebody made a full-detail kit of a '99-up Ford Super Duty (even if it was not a diesel), or an '06-up Ram Power Wagon 2500 (not available as a diesel or dually but still...), I'd be first in line to buy two cases of each. All you other "nobodies" out there can get in line behind me. B)

Converting a 7.3L gas block to diesel??? I'm assuming you mean the Ford 460?

Just as an FYI.....

The 6.9/7.3/Powerstroke/T444E engines were based on the IH gas MV 404/446 v8 engines. They are nowhere even close to the Ford block you have started with. The only thing with using the Ford block, is that it would be a drop in replacement for the kit engine. The block is actually closer to the engine found in the Louisville truck kits. It would need some drastic modifications, but it would be easier than the 460.....

I started mine by measuring a bare block and heads, and started from scratch.....We always seem to have at least 1 lying around in the shop.

Yeah, I pretty much did it as it would be a drop in upgrade, especially for those that have that kit already. Unfortunately, I don't have a 460 laying around. I just wish I had various blocks I could reference off of at will, that would make things a lot easier. Don't take this as me being sarcastic either, bud.

• 1 month later...