Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Rich and Famous and hobbies

just wondering if any of the Rich and Famous does any building I can't see Keef or Mick or Charlie or Sir Paul building , maybe I can picture Ringo building he does have a sweet spot for 57 Chevys and I can picture Brian Setzer building , , I always wonder what hobbies they get into

I know that Billy Gibbons, Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck are seriously into 1:1 street rods. The only famous people I know that do some kind of model building are Neil Young and Rod Stewart, they are heavily into model railroading.

Edited by 58 Impala

Neil Young loves model railroading so much he bought Lionel trains as they were on the brink of bankruptcy years back. It is my understanding that he has a son who loves trains and is a special needs child so it worked out for him.

Peter Jackson (director of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit) likes modeling so much he started his own model company making 1/32 WWI airplanes, Wingnut Wings. They're spectacular, which is to be expected when you don't have to turn a profit or be a major source of income for your owner...

I've heard that Joe Perry from Aerosmith had been big into Lionel stuff.

Comedian Jeff Dunham got so deep into R/C helicopters that he used some of the mechanics from those for his puppets.

I think it was either Frank Beard or Dusty Hill that also got into R/C air craft some time back.

I personally have talked slot cars and R/C with Brice Cooper, formerly of HGTV.

Mel "the Velvet Fog" Torme the jazz and big band singer during the 40's - 80's was apparently into model building and collecting. I read once that he was a regular customer of the legendary Polk's Hobby Shop in New York.

I read that Frank Sinatra was a huge train buff.He would send his manager to the shops with a want list and have him do the buying.Buster Keaton was also big into trains.He had a layout that ran from his kitchen to his dining room and the daily meals were brought to the table via the train cars!

Hi,

I first met Chuck in 1980 at the late Herb Jackson's Toledo show. I went back a couple years later to sell my line of wall cabinets and there Chuck was again with his box of model cars to sell. The Vice President of Design for GM. Chuck had a wonderful career and life, and was a great

friend of Enzo Ferrari.

I was also contacted by Frank Beard through a great publication "Traders' Horn". I think it fell by the wayside to the internet. We became friendly and I introduced Frank to my Dealer associate and Frank was shown the best models at the time in 1/43 scale. I met Frank several times with my older brother and friends. Here are some pics.

Ron

9-6-09136_zps97399645.jpg05-25-2013063658AM_zpsc2e54f8f.jpg

I heard somewhere years ago that Eric Clapton used to build model cars. I don't know if there is any truth to it. I always thought it would be cool to have one of their builds to put on my shelf.

Later-

He did, and I believe he still does build.