Model Cars Magazine Forum

32 Ford Sedan Delivery Bodies

Hamar

A big Thank You to Rob for these beautiful 32 Ford Sedan Delivery bodies. I recieved them last night and can't wait to dig in. But, due to the limited space I have to work, they will have to sit in the queue until my current project is completed( kit bash, scratch build 1/24th scale 40's style Belly Tank salt flat racer).

32-D.jpg

This was a smooth transaction and Rob shipped right away! He even included some cool resin cast bits I can use for other projects down the road!

Thanks Mate!

Looks like they fall in between a Panel Truck eug.cel.11.32.jpg and a sedan delivery 32frd6.jpg

According to many books on the '32 the sedan delivery was simply a tudor with the back side windows filled in with metal and a rear door cut in.

The windows being equal on the tudor and delivery.IMG_3875.JPG

I'm sorry but they are not sedan delivery bodies. They are phantom bodies, as no such '32 Fords were built that way.

Ford did offer sedan deliveries for 1932, Lyle, but they had them done by an outside contractor, LeBaron, from 2-dr sedan bodies. One of the rarest '32 Ford body styles though.

Art

I would have to look up 1932, but normally with Ford, the Sedan delivery has one back door and is based on the car chassis. The Panel truck has two back doors and is on the truck chassis.

Tom

Tom,

Even the panel delivery, as well as the pickup, were built on passenger car chassis, all the way through 1940.

Art

A similar, long-window body was available on the A chassis...

oo1931FordADropFloor2.jpg

The '32 catalog shows this raised-roof body available in addition to the usual, filled-window SD...

oo1932Ford_V8_B79_Budd.jpg

And '34 shows another body similar to the resin shell above (the 46-850, I believe).

oo1933Ford_V8_LeBaron2.jpg

For '32, CHEVROLET built a short-door, long window SD body...

8018596142_0bb143889a_m.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Tom,

Even the panel delivery, as well as the pickup, were built on passenger car chassis, all the way through 1940.

Art

I probably should have said Truck format?, although the Panels were available on 3/4 and even 1 ton truck chassis. The Panel truck looks like the pickups and has two rear doors and the Sedan Deliveries looked like the cars and one rear door.

Tom

well i'm thoroughly confused.

It seems from all the available information that Ford DID NOT make a short-door, long-window-indent body like the resin ones pictured in 1932, and the SD had the sedan-length doors and window-indent....HOWEVER, they DID offer similar bodies in '30-'31, and '33-'34, and Chevrolet DID make a body like the resin ones in 1932.

At least, that's he way i currently understand it.

I thought I said that ,with pictures and all :huh: guess I left out the Model A, '34 Fords and the Chevrolets, but I thought we were talking about '32 Fords ? :P

Not doubting or disagreeing with you, sir, but there was the short-door, long-window, raised roof body (photo 2 in post 13) in '32. Still, not the same as the resin ones shown. You are absolutely correct. I was just offering more information, and kinda trying to figure out the rationale for the resin phantoms. :)

My curiosity is aroused, thats all. What with the '31 and '33 short-door, long-window-indent panel-trucks being available, it seemed odd there wasn't one from '32. Looks like Ertl made one in 1/25, but still, no 1:1 photos to indicate whether this actually ever really existed.

628257695_tp.jpg

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

My curiosity is aroused, thats all. What with the '31 and '33 short-door, long-window-indent panel-trucks being available, it seemed odd there wasn't one from '32. Looks like Ertl made one in 1/25, but still, no 1:1 photos to indicate whether this actually ever really existed.

628257695_tp.jpg

I have one of these Ertl coin banks in the picture. Only reason it's made that way is so it will actually hold some coins.

All Sedan Deliveries were converted Sedans. Ford initially was not going to offer the model, customers complained, they had Le Baron convert just under 400 in the later part of '32. From then on out, Sedan Deliveries were purpose-built and had different proportions than a regular Sedan for increased cargo capacity.

The larger, commercial deliveries are called Panel Deliveries and they share some of the characteristics of the pickup trucks. In fact, the doors are interchangable.

I'm sorry but they are not sedan delivery bodies. They are phantom bodies, as no such '32 Fords were built that way.

Very true Lyle, Ford didn't make them like this, the '32 sedan delivery they made was based in the tudor body and ran tudor length doors. (Making it a tudor delivery? :blink: )

These bodies run a front door the same length as a sedan, not a tudor, giving them a more useful and in proportion look for a sedan delivery. After all they were supposed to be a commercial vehicle so you'd think more cargo space would be important.

Most other years ran a shorter sedan length door so this is a '32 Ford sedan delivery body if Ford had've built one with sedan length doors.

Yes it's a phantom, but it looks like the one the factory should've made, had they have made a "proper" sedan delivery. ;)

Cheers Rob

A big Thank You to Rob for these beautiful 32 Ford Sedan Delivery bodies. I recieved them last night and can't wait to dig in. But, due to the limited space I have to work, they will have to sit in the queue until my current project is completed( kit bash, scratch build 1/24th scale 40's style Belly Tank salt flat racer).

32-D.jpg

This was a smooth transaction and Rob shipped right away! He even included some cool resin cast bits I can use for other projects down the road!

Thanks Mate!

Glad they made it Hal., looking forward to seeing your build up's of them when you get around to them mate.

Cheers Rob