Model Cars Magazine Forum

Who got introduced to modeling at home? What year? How old?

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? At cousins place.

2) From whom? My cousin John

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Mostly cars and planes

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? At that time cousin was still a student in school.

5) How old were you?8 or 10 years old

6) About what year was your introduction? 1982/84

was your introduction to modeling at home?

yes, I actually did not now anything about model building until i met my stepfather at about 6yrs old back in '94. My stepfather was into model aircrafts, and would get a model airplane for himself and I every week as a weekend activity. He would talk about all the different parts and give me a little bit of history of each one, and its capabilities. He loved military aircraft in real life, and always wished he got a chance to be a pilot (he worked at a bindery company, which is related to Quad Graphics, a hugely respectable,popular, printing company here in Wisconsin). I never had a father figure in my life, until then. I never knew or met such a cool guy like him, or some male that dedicated much time with me as well. I was just amazed at the level of detail from kits, compared to a regular toy i would play with at the time. Model building gave me a sense of accomplishment, and felt proud of what I had built. I always needed his help and supervision until I reached 12 (year 2000). I started building models by myself a lot more, and gave a shot at a few aircraft. I was fascinated by muscle cars, and lowriders, classics however, that I would see cruising the streets, with their neon lighting on the undercarriage, and loud stereo systems with a nice pair of daytons and shiny paint. I would always appreciate those cars and the time put into them. My love for vehicles had really kicked off, my dad had a thing for classic vehicles as well, but not anywhere as near his love for military aircraft. We would go to classic car shows, talk about different engines, he would work on his car, fix anything wrong with it, (we had a 96 Ford Probe manual, a Chevy astro van explorer custom limited edition, 96 ford blazer, 96 Chevy silverado during those times). He was a Chevy guy, and never went back to buying a Ford, ever since that Ford Probe lol, maybe thats why I have never owned a Ford ;). I would love riding my bike and watching him fix his car, and seeing how similar some parts were to the ones Ive built in 1:24th scale. I knew the names of many parts, and knew what he would be talking about to his friends or at autoshops. It came to the point where I could name every car on the street at the time, just by looking at the body styling. I have built many cars, of which are very rarer to find now. I wish I would have bought more of those certain kits, I would have never guessed how expensive they would have gotten, and how shocked I was when Wal Mart suddenly didn't have an isle for them, and stop carrying them completely around the mid 2000s. My love for building model cars stopped drastically around 16 yrs of age (2004), I began to start dating girls in high school, and trying to be growned up. Never would I dare tell kids at my school, I build model cars or they would have laughed at me. Everyone was into video games however, and so was I. The video gaming sector was going through a big change, introducing systems that allowed you to do many things never achievable in past systems. The graphics were unbelievable at the time, very realistic, and provided many iconic games such as Grand Theft Auto, where you could now get out of the vehicles you drove, drive around this huge open city, and have open missions, get inside buildings , etc. and online capabilities. I was instantly hooked, became a mad gamer, and looked at model car building as a thing of the past. I eventually overcame this phase however when the Xbox 360 came out, I realized that new games were being released, but it was all just doing the same thing, similar missions, over and over or killing each other on each game, with just better graphics of course.I eventually got bored, and stopped playing altogether, unless its Mario kart, or Madden 13. I came back to the hobby just this recent year, as i discovered they actually had websites strictly for model car building. I currently work in a call center, in which I would spend a lot of time on this website on my downtime. I got inspired by many of the great builds here, and the knowledge Ive gained just from reading the different threads. The First model built recently into the hobby was a revell 70 chevelle, I plan to build many more, and I am not embarrassed or shy of it :) lol, I also have a girlfriend who is very acceptable to this hobby,she says it keeps me in the house! and out of trouble.I am always looking for bargains, as models are not $10 anymore like they used to be, and never pay full retail price now. I primarily love building classic vehicles from the 50's to 80's, not so much into modern car building.

Edited by ERIK88

1) Yep

2) Dad

3) Dad built planes and boats

4) Electronics Tech then full time Fire Truck Driver

5) 6 ish?

6) 1966

Our one son (now 28) had alittle intrest at 10 to 12 years old but that went away.

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home?

Not that I can remember . I don't believe so ...

2) From whom?

Most-likely , one of my older neighbours .

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)?

A bit of every-thing for sure . I recall that the older dude up the street had airplanes hanging from the ceilling in his bedroom ! It was really cool .

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ?

Hmm ... One of them worked at the local Alpha Beta supermarket ; the others were just buggers like me , students and whatnot.

5) How old were you?

Around age four . Yeah , it was 1974 when I started . Snap-togethers , none-the-less .

6) About what year was your introduction?

1974 , for snap kits ; around 1975 or 1976 for my first glue kit .

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? Yes

2) From whom? My Dad

3) What kind of models? Cars (old coupes and gassers)

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? He was an auto-body repairman who built full-size customs and street rods on the side.

5) How old were you? 8

6) About what year was your introduction? 1968

Edited by Qwit Pushin

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home? Yes

2) From whom? My Dad

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)? Mainly cars, but also some HO railroad and AF/X slot cars (still have them)

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ? Former Navy mechanic, Former automotive mechanic, retired Union sheetmetal worker (SMWIA Local 218)

5) How old were you? ABOUT 5-6

6) About what year was your introduction? 1977

1) Was your introduction to modeling at home?...............Yep!

2) From whom?..................My mom!

3) What kind of models (cars, planes, trains, etc)?....................Cars, remember my first car kit, Revell 'Patent Pending'!

4) What did the person who introduced you to modeling do for a living ?.....Florist

5) How old were you?.............12

6) About what year was your introduction?...........1976 Approx

Edited by Helix

A few simple questions, and the reason I'm curious is to look informally at possible links between the slow death of 'building-things' hobbies and the evolution / devolution of the family and other societal changes. I came across a web article on "Alpha Refined" (a website about "the lifestyles and interests of traditional men") that lists "building models" as one if the "10 Hobbies Every Man Should Try". It got me thinking, so...

2) From whom?

5) How old were you?

1) Yes

2) My Self

3) All Kinds

4) Nothing

5) 8

6) 1988

Yes, into was at home

2) From whom?

My Father

First Kit I remember him building was the 1/12 Monogram Camaro Kit. I own a copy of the re-issue

Worked at Memorex

5) How old were you?

Edited by Project510

1974. I was ten. My older brother who was just graduated from high school . He was working the grill at the luncheonette in Grants department store. We built the GMC high Sierra pickup. Two toned it black and blue.Right in Dads' workshop. That was when he was a cool big brother. Now he's a grumpy old fart