Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1990 Mustang LX 5.0

Erik Smith

Mike,

The greenhouse is about 2" out of scale (too low) when measured up against a 1:1. It is a combination of pretty much everything above the dew wipe trim being out of whack. And before anybody else says it, yes, it is also a mess below it too (as I am using the styling line (body breakover) as my reference for scale measurements of the body type). As you can see though, the rest of the kit is quite nice and goes together well.

Eric: the chassis plate (and trans tunnel) would be primed in Gray, with body colored overspray extending (in various intensities) almost all the way to the trans tunnel (and in some cases, such as between the rear wheel wells, into the trans tunnel). The transmission crossmember will be Natural Steel or Semi-Gloss Black. Gas tank is a black Plastic cover with the straps in Aluminized Steel. some cars, depending on region of the country, also could have had undercoating applied (my 84 GT Turbo is that way........too bad it still didn't help much in Ohio winters!) That would be a semi-gloss Rubber Black (I will post a reference pic down in the LX Reference pic section).

The K-member will be Gray primer with a heavy overspray of body color on the top and sides with light bits of overspray on the lower portion. A-arms will be Semi-Gloss or Gloss Black. Spindles will be natural Iron in color, with the disc backing plates Gloss Black. Calipers will be either a dark Gray or natural metal. Struts are Gloss Black. Steering rack is an aluminum body with Rubber Black boots, inner tie-rods in Steel, outer tie-rods in either Semi-Gloss Black or natural metal, and since this kit has the steering arm portions of the spindle cast as part of the rack, they will be Natural Iron. Fornt sway bar will be Semi-Gloss Black to Gloss Black with the clamps a Natural Steel. Driveshaft was Aluminized Steel with Iron-colored U-joint detail.

Rear differential will be Natural Iron carrier case, Natural Steel axle tubes/brackets, Natural Iron (albiet darker than the case as it was a different alloy) vibration-dampening weight, Aluminized Steel differential cover, Natural Steel (with a Galvanized look) upper and lower control arms, Gloss Black springs, Semi-gloss to gloss Black sway bar. Shocks (both upright and 'quads') will be Gloss Black.

I hope that helped a bit, as I see the kit directions aren't quite up to snuff for color call-outs!

Edited by whale392

Mike,

The greenhouse is about 2" out of scale (too low) when measured up against a 1:1. It is a combination of pretty much everything above the dew wipe trim being out of whack. And before anybody else says it, yes, it is also a mess below it too (as I am using the styling line (body breakover) as my reference for scale measurements of the body type). As you can see though, the rest of the kit is quite nice and goes together well.

Eric: the chassis plate (and trans tunnel) would be primed in Gray, with body colored overspray extending (in various intensities) almost all the way to the trans tunnel (and in some cases, such as between the rear wheel wells, into the trans tunnel). The transmission crossmember will be Natural Steel or Semi-Gloss Black. Gas tank is a black Plastic cover with the straps in Aluminized Steel. some cars, depending on region of the country, also could have had undercoating applied (my 84 GT Turbo is that way........too bad it still didn't help much in Ohio winters!) That would be a semi-gloss Rubber Black (I will post a reference pic down in the LX Reference pic section).

The K-member will be Gray primer with a heavy overspray of body color on the top and sides with light bits of overspray on the lower portion. A-arms will be Semi-Gloss or Gloss Black. Spindles will be natural Iron in color, with the disc backing plates Gloss Black. Calipers will be either a dark Gray or natural metal. Struts are Gloss Black. Steering rack is an aluminum body with Rubber Black boots, inner tie-rods in Steel, outer tie-rods in either Semi-Gloss Black or natural metal, and since this kit has the steering arm portions of the spindle cast as part of the rack, they will be Natural Iron. Fornt sway bar will be Semi-Gloss Black to Gloss Black with the clamps a Natural Steel. Driveshaft was Aluminized Steel with Iron-colored U-joint detail.

Rear differential will be Natural Iron carrier case, Natural Steel axle tubes/brackets, Natural Iron (albiet darker than the case as it was a different alloy) vibration-dampening weight, Aluminized Steel differential cover, Natural Steel (with a Galvanized look) upper and lower control arms, Gloss Black springs, Semi-gloss to gloss Black sway bar. Shocks (both upright and 'quads') will be Gloss Black.

I hope that helped a bit, as I see the kit directions aren't quite up to snuff for color call-outs!

Now I just need to find some "galvanized" paint! LOL

Erik, I dont know it the body looks worse now that it is painted, but the paint looks nice, good job

It's a bad angle and phone camera, so it's also wide angle.

I am anxious to get the trim painted black and really see where this thing stands...

Holy Silver! Heheh...bright.

I'm not holding my breath. We saw one this afternoon while picking my son up from work...and it's obnoxiously obvious. I already knew, as I was one of the bajillion kids who had a couple of these Fox bodies in his 20's, but seeing the notch again today all fresh and perky...and TALL... :D

Not trying to get the firestorm started again. Just sayin'. Carry on, Erik...we all wanna see how it looks with the glass in, too.

Fred, Ford was funny about the rear ends on these cars. They were left unpainted, but the brake backing plates were painted Black and the sway bar was Black. Upper and lower control arms were a natural steel (but looked to have some aluminuization), along with the Axle tubes. Carrier case was natural Iron. That pig-heavy weight was natural Iron, and the quad shocks Black.

These pics show the bottom side of a brand new '92 ragtop. Was there certain years they painted the diff housings?

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk417/edsel1_2008/foxbttm1_zps808423e6.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk417/edsel1_2008/foxbttm2_zps448bb9f6.jpg

mike

Edited by mk11

This is looking very nice, Erik. Attention-to-detail painting is paying off on the chassis, engine, and interior. I am liking it so far, and look forward to seeing more.

On a side note, I got my case of these Friday, and will be cutting into one this week to see if I can correct some of the body issues (ok, if I can ever get my butt home, as i am on another company road-trip at the moment).

Edited by whale392

The front facia on that body looks super crisp! What technique did you use to give the interior its correct appearance? The seats, carpet, and shifter boot just look incredibly realistic. Nice work, so far.

The front facia on that body looks super crisp! What technique did you use to give the interior its correct appearance? The seats, carpet, and shifter boot just look incredibly realistic. Nice work, so far.

Seats are Tamiya light gray airbrushed. I prehaded the seat than applied the gray. The vinyl sides are just one coat of future - it adds a nice semi gloss look. The carpet is the Tamiya light gray with black added again airbrushed. I kept the AB a little farther away than normal to get more texture in the paint. Shifter is Tamiya semigloss spray paint - my favorite semi black.

Thanks for the comments! This build will be on hold because of work for two or three weeks :(

Seats are Tamiya light gray airbrushed. I prehaded the seat than applied the gray. The vinyl sides are just one coat of future - it adds a nice semi gloss look. The carpet is the Tamiya light gray with black added again airbrushed. I kept the AB a little farther away than normal to get more texture in the paint. Shifter is Tamiya semigloss spray paint - my favorite semi black.

Thanks for the comments! This build will be on hold because of work for two or three weeks :(

Hey, Erik. Nice build developing here! Tell that pesky employer to stay out of our way ... but keep those paychecks coming, of course! :P

Hey, the model thus far looks outstanding ! if anyone needs pictures of a 90 model with a 5.0 convertible , let me know . I'm having one come in Monday 6-11-2013 for a heater core , yeah expensive repair .................

Time consuming for sure, Ed. The part is only somewhere close to $45, but it is the labor of having to pull the seats, center console, dash, and the core box itself that gets crazy expensive! If you do get pics Ed, could they be posted in the LX 5.0 reference thread?

Edit: also take note, the convertible will have chassis braces installed that are not on the Hatch or Coupe.

Edited by whale392

How's it coming, Erik?

BTW, You and Bradley indicated the chassis should be primer gray with body color overspray along the rockers, correct? However, I have a couple of shots of an LX on a lift and the chassis is red oxide primer. What can you confirm?

Thanks!!

All 4 of my current Fox Chassis' have Gray primer with a heavy dose of body color overspray. The 88 Coupe I started into the FOX world with was the same way, and the 85 Coupe I just picked up is also Gray with body colored overspray.