Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1990 Mustang LX 5.0

Erik Smith

A good example is I have seen a bone stock 87 gt engine apart and it had E6 heads not the common E7 pieces so sometimes they use what the have. I myself have had 25 or so mustangs and currently have 8 at home so I know my way around them too : )

Edited by freakshow12

Ford Motorsports painted their pans Black. Every Fox I have seen from 1987-93 has had the Gray pan. And the 'pull-ahead' and 'use up' was common, but I have yet to see a black pan used in place of a pan they started painting Gray in 1983. I have come across a late-sequence 1986GT with the 1987GT brakes (as was posted on FEP, so there have been more than a few that camw with the upgrade brakes). Look at your 87GT and see when it was constructed. If it was prior to Oct86, there is a good chance it did come with the E6 heads AND pistons. :)

But back to THIS build (you know, we should pool all of our resources and info down in the thread instead of plugging up Erics build thread), it is looking good so far! When you get ready to paint the K-member, it should be primer gray with heavy body color overspray on its top and sides. The a-arms should be Semi or Gloss Black with the spindles being natural iron (or rusting iron as they rusted quite quickly).

I agree. Back on topic lol. My late build 84 rs has some 85 stuff on it but that being said, it has black pan my 85 rs has grey my 85 gs 5.0 has black and my 89 lx has black. I really think it's a tossup. When rebuilding I went gray as that is the common route.

Also the rear ends are sketchy on what's correct. I bought a few of mine new and had very little paint. Even my Shelby the tubes and housing are nearly raw metal

Didn't mean to start anything. Just when it was pointed out that the block shouldn't be painted blue, I thought that the build was going to be as accurate as possible.

Both the 1987 GT, and the 1993 LTD. LX convertibles I've owned had black painted pans.

BTW, I like the color combo You're using, and I also really like the Titanium Frost Metallic color used on some of the LXs that I'd seen back in the '90's.

Roy

Fred, Ford was funny about the rear ends on these cars. They were left unpainted, but the brake backing plates were painted Black and the sway bar was Black. Upper and lower control arms were a natural steel (but looked to have some aluminuization), along with the Axle tubes. Carrier case was natural Iron. That pig-heavy weight was natural Iron, and the quad shocks Black.

Hey no worries. This is good debate on what's right and wrong on any subject. It may prove helpful to some people who have not spent as much time with the 1:1 as some of us here have. It's funny too because as this has went on it's clear to see that even on an assembly line no two cars are identical in execution

Didn't mean to start anything. Just when it was pointed out that the block shouldn't be painted blue, I thought that the build was going to be as accurate as possible.

Roy

Accurate? Maybe close - just trying to avoid glaring differences. I am using materials on hand and trying to make an efficient build, so there will be inaccuracies.

However, please keep posting information. This is for the benefit of all and if I decide to spend more time on another (I am kind of liking this car)...

Thanks again for the info!

I'll have to get my hands on one of these. The detail of the parts looks good to me. This build looks to be shaping up nicely as well! There are too many good parts that could be bashed into other Mustang projects that I've got planned.

Edit for fan color: I stated the fan was white with the aluminum center (which is correct). The viscus fins will be aluminum with the center carriage being a Zinc-washed (kind-of a yellow-green washed over the aluminum) shade. So, it would go (outer to inner): White blades, aluminum cooling fin ring, Zinc-washed Aluminum center.