Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you consider your best modeling purchase?

I vote for my Paasche D-500 compressor.I purchased it in '88 for a C-note and apart from the time I sent it back to the factory in '92(fixed at no charge despite the expiration of the warranty)it has been a rock solid reliable performer.How about you?

Edited by philo426

MVC003F-vi.jpg

MVC008F-vi.jpg

Okay.. two maybe three items. In the top photo is my eXacto brand battery power drill. I bought it at a hobby shop because my inlaws gave me a gift certificate. I've never seen another one since. I dread the day it dies! I use it every day.

Next would be my cushion handle eXacto knife. It's much nicer than the hard handle.

The bottom photo is the Chopper 2. I do a lot of scratch building with basswood and Evergreen plastic and it makes easy work of getting perfect cuts.

The best deal I ever got IMO was buying some kits direct from a guy in Arizona. I bought the following from him:

AMT International Transtar II Eagle COE (sealed)

AMT Lowboy trailer (sealed)

(2) AMT John Deere 4430 tractors (sealed)

(2) AMT John Deere 310 Backhoes (sealed)

AMT '77 Ford F-350 with camper (sealed inside)

I got all of these for $210 shipped. I've got a lot of great deals on Ebay also. But, there's no way I could have gotten all of those kits separately for that price from there. I've seen the Transtar II go for well over $100 many times.

Two things.

An original, complete AMT 62 Nova for $10 bucks at an antique store.

And more importantly. The $20 bucks that I spent for my visor, magnifier so that I can continue all of my small detail work on models with failing eyesight, due to cataracts. Surgery forthcoming.

a Dremel Stylus cordless. It runs at slow speed, which my plug-in Dremel says it can, but doesn't. It's very comfortable and can be held in many ways to suit the job.

I agree!! I found it so useful over other hobby drills that I had owned or used that I bought a second just so that I'd have a spare on hand if my first failed, so far it hasn't.

I haven't seen one on store shelves for some time, are they still being made?