Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bring Out Your Dead... Long Stalled Models

Tom Geiger

22 hours ago, GerN said:

Permatex Red RTV works very well for making molds, especially for small parts.  About 1/8" to 3/16" thick will cure  overnight (or less time).  Easier to mix about 1/20th by volume flour (yup, plain old kitchen flour) - then you can layer 5/16" and have it harden in less than two hours.  This RTV uses H2O in the atmosphere to harden, and flour has enough (I think that's what happens).  I recommend MicroMark CR-300 for casting resin - low odor, quick cure, excellent to work.  It does not adhere well to smooth surfaces.

Hey thanks for the advice. Not there yet but this could be helpful when time comes.

4 hours ago, Gramps46 said:

These are the unfinished Ford GT40s from a project I started in 2002 to show the evolution of the GT40s.  I was shooting for the Toledo NNL and really pushed to get all of them done and literally burned out before they were all complete.  Some of these only need detailing to be finished but I have not gotten to them yet for a number of different reasons.

The unpainted white one is a 1/24 Strombecker JCar slot narrowed down the center.  The green GT40 is a SMTS resin kit,  the red GT40 #14 is a Fujimi, the red MKIV is a Le Mans Miniature resin, the Mirage is Mini Exotics, the red MKII roadster is a CMA resin,  and the white  and blue one is a Fujimi center section with Cox slot car front and rear clips grafted on.

5b8428993ea8d_Ford_GT40project_1035.jpg.4c05aaf62958b47ef086f155566fe69d.jpg

I have a lot of unfinished ones too (CMA, Renaissance and a whole bunch of Fujumi MKI and MK II's) with a whole bunch of decals to do various liveries.  Hard to believe next year will be the 50th anniversary of the 1969 Lemans victory.  Where did half a century go?

Great thread, now it looks like I have more projects to start that won't get finished for a long time! There are some fantastic ideas here! One that I could find easily ( there are lots more) is this 66 Bonneville from the Hasegawa kit that I started to make a Gran Prix out of. I know this was done in resin but I started this a while back and wasn't into resin or the price of it back then!

IMG_2566.JPG

IMG_2567.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

On 8/26/2018 at 11:20 AM, mvadrag said:

Good idea for a thread.  I can fill a page or two with my abandoned projects!

There are a couple of Willys projects.  One is a highboy and the other is a pro street van.  Both were inspired by magazine articles.

2010_073133Willys0028.thumb.JPG.e1258a7ca910da39cef52bd4133205df.JPG

2008_0107Primer0007.thumb.JPG.73d36786435f79e3d058a0021de36381.JPG

I have stared at that fenderless 33 many times. Pretty sure that I need to build one.

I started a 1/6 scale Tamiya Harley SuperGlide in 2010 (which I restated til I put it away again in 2012) to replicate the one I owned "back in the day". I am trying to complete my first die-cast, a Dodge Warlock in 1/18th. Once I finish that project I plan to at least return to it and get some work done on the 'Glide.

I started it on a different forum. The restart link to it is here:

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/motorcycles/46146-superglide-project-return.html?highlight=1%2F6+tamiya+superglide

My first post is here:

http://www.scalemotorcars.com/forum/all-events/6331-model-sunday-01-24-2010-a.html?highlight=#post43657

Edited by DPNM

Wow! Hard to believe I commented on this post back on page 1 or 2 saying that I would post some of my MANY stalled projects but (wait for it...…) I stalled out and never posted. I have one that I started back when I first got married in 89. I recently got it out,  painted it and completed the interior before stalling out again. I'm so pathetic...…...

Later-

Staled projects? Yea, I have more than my share. My oldest is probably 30 years or so. Long before PE, after-market items, I built this Willys with tilt wheel, functioning carb linkage, functioning gas pedal, working U-joints, 1/20th scale Tamiya rear rubber, etc. Worked myself into a corner with the roll cage and the door hinges needing to occupy the same space. Put it in a box.

WillysonShelf.jpg

Edited by gasser59

9 hours ago, gasser59 said:

Another stalled one is this replica of a '59 Chevy Scout Truck that went through the African continent in '59 and '60 as part of an Airstream caravan. I'm so close, I just gotta get it done.

RibSkeleton.jpg

SoapDispenser1.JPG

FridgeCabinet.jpg

That thing is EPIC! Where did you get all the cool stuff inside. Is it dollhouse furnishings? What did you use to attach the aluminum framework together?

Thanks for your comments Patrick. The aluminum square channel has 1/16th" aluminum tubing inside and inside of that is brass rod that goes into drilled holes in the square tubing then covered with aluminum printing plate for the outside skins. Everything inside the 'camper' is all scratch-built. For example, the chrome coffee pot is the top button on a ball point pen with an aluminum printing plate spout and handle and a small clear blinker lens from the parts box.

Here's the thread for the build process.

Wow, these are some of the coolest projects I've seen. The Daytona Camaro and the Camper truck... the Willys and the Jeeps too! I'd like to see these completed.

I didn't take any photos of this pryor to stripping it yesterday (I regret it now) but this project has been a labor of love since 1992. I aquired this in a collection of build-ups. Here's a bit of history,

Original Build was brush painted Baby blue. Severely glue bombed.

I restored it by stripping the paint and dremaling the glue off it.

I rebuilt it as a pro street 2wd blazer. Teal green with 37 ford monogram graphics 1992 to 2000. I desided to redo it as a 4X4 when I bought the Mad Mudder. 

So I thought  a tilt front would fit the build and I repainted it pearl white.

In 2007 I painted it purple with the Mad Mudder graphics. Then In 2012 I painted white on the top and two-tone on the sides. 

Yesterday I stripped the paint back to the original plastic Getting ready to  Restore it agian maybe back to baby blue or Cream as it was molded in...

Screenshot_20180902-132104.jpg

Screenshot_20180902-132044.jpg

Screenshot_20180902-132010.jpg

On 9/2/2018 at 10:26 AM, disconovaman said:

Screenshot_20180902-132104.jpg

Screenshot_20180902-132044.jpg

Screenshot_20180902-132010.jpg

Wow that one is ROUGH! I admire your dedication to see this through. If it were me, I'd take the new body of the Mad Mudder and reuse the Blazer roof. Start over with a clean slate, so to speak.

Sure would be a lot easier than trying to fix all of this one again.

These Blazers seem to be getting rare, I don't know why Revell hasn't reissued this one to go with their Bronco and Ramcharger - seems like a natural to me.

I guess I was into saving original issue build ups back then... I probably should reuse the glass and top onto the Madd Mudder, Those kits rare now too. I don't have a spare body now, I cut the doors off and was gonna build a mud truck with no doors, was gonna have mud spatter weathering (another stalled project) I got rid of it last year. I agree the Blazer should be re-issued... (IMO) it's the best one. I wonder if it had something to do with lost or damaged tooling because that blazer hasn't been in production since the 70's? There may be good news for it though, ATLANTIS BUYS REVELL TOOLINGS – I read this article the other day that claimed hundreds of tools were aquired from a warehouse so maybe that blazer is among them?

http://culttvman.com/main/breaking-news-atlantis-buys-revell-toolings/

I'm truly inspired to get this one back into shape now. Question, do I re-attach  the front end or leave the tilt?

Edited by disconovaman

• 1 month later...
On 9/4/2018 at 5:08 AM, disconovaman said:

I'm truly inspired to get this one back into shape now. Question, do I re-attach  the front end or leave the tilt?

I'd say, reattach it, tilt hoods are so passé now. How about using the GMC pickup cab and bed that's out now, those are easy to find

1 hour ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I'd say, reattach it, tilt hoods are so passé now. How about using the GMC pickup cab and bed that's out now, those are easy to find

Thanks for the suggestion, I agree that tilt frontends are out.  I've desided to reattach it. I'll  have to use the fender wells from a donor cab but other than that I want to use as many original parts as I can. I had plans of working on it this month but I realized the CBR is ending soon so I have been working on my entry.  I guess the Frankenstein blazer has stalled agian.