Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bring Out Your Dead... Long Stalled Models

Tom Geiger

This has to be the oldest stalled project I have. It was originally a Revell 31 Delivery built box stock back in the mid 1970s.  In the late 70's I channeled the body onto the fenders, added lots of white putty and threw it in the scrap box. I fished it out in the mid 80s and completed the bodywork with and eye towards under body aerodynamics. The chassis was built, then I got stuck on the front suspension. I got that figured out, but it's way back in the line now. The engine exploded when when I dropped it on the garage floor.

SideLR-vi.jpg

ChassisLR-vi.jpg

DSCN2984-vi.jpg

I had this thing almost finished, once, about 17 years ago. At that time, I decided that I didn't like my injector stacks, or the manifold. As I looked for a suitable replacements, I discovered that there had never been a set of decent Enderle stacks for a small block. I ended up making a set, but, never got around to casting them (I am rectifying that, as I type this). At some point, several of my friends mentioned that the Slingster had a nice set. Those were too small, and the manifold didn't fit the engine I am using (display small block from the '66 Nova), as it was too narrow. Then I heard that one of the resin casters made a, Enderle manifold and stacks. Better, but still didn't look right, to my eye. Next, I decided to use the car as a mule for a piece I was putting together for the old SLM site about building aluminum dragster bodies using a pair of articles from Hot Rod Magazine, back in '67 or '68. In the articles, Tom Hanna (Couldn't have a better guy to teach you that!) explains step-by-step how to build a "shorty" dragster body. That worked out. So, now, all I need to do is get myself a decent set of Enderle injector stacks (fingers crossed!), make a set of front wheels, finish the motor, and put it all back together. I have looked at it many times over the years, but, haven't touched it since I did the body, back in 2010. I'd love to have it done, but...

100_0514.jpg

100_0534.jpg

100_0578.jpg

100_0584.jpg

IMG_0001cr.jpg

JrFuelPaint5.jpg

New Fr Axle.jpg

Parts Array 2.jpg

Puke Tank.jpg

On ‎03‎.‎11‎.‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Superbird McMonte said:

Anything in particular you want to know about??

:D shure!

in the Background right, there is a frontview from a Kaiser? Or whats the Name of this lightbrown Body? Who is the manufactor?

16 minutes ago, Dominik said:

:D shure!

in the Background right, there is a frontview from a Kaiser? Or whats the Name of this lightbrown Body? Who is the manufactor?

I saw those also.  My guess is an Andy Martin Maserati Birdcage and a Scale Kraft Kaiser by Guido Fieuw from South Africa.  Oh I wish Guido was still making his unusual models.

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I had this thing almost finished, once, about 17 years ago. At that time, I decided that I didn't like my injector stacks, or the manifold. As I looked for a suitable replacements, I discovered that there had never been a set of decent Enderle stacks for a small block. I ended up making a set, but, never got around to casting them (I am rectifying that, as I type this). At some point, several of my friends mentioned that the Slingster had a nice set. Those were too small, and the manifold didn't fit the engine I am using (display small block from the '66 Nova), as it was too narrow. Then I heard that one of the resin casters made a, Enderle manifold and stacks. Better, but still didn't look right, to my eye. Next, I decided to use the car as a mule for a piece I was putting together for the old SLM site about building aluminum dragster bodies using a pair of articles from Hot Rod Magazine, back in '67 or '68. In the articles, Tom Hanna (Couldn't have a better guy to teach you that!) explains step-by-step how to build a "shorty" dragster body. That worked out. So, now, all I need to do is get myself a decent set of Enderle injector stacks (fingers crossed!), make a set of front wheels, finish the motor, and put it all back together. I have looked at it many times over the years, but, haven't touched it since I did the body, back in 2010. I'd love to have it done, but...

IMG_0001cr.jpg

JrFuelPaint5.jpg

That bare metal body looks totally badass and hella cool! Looks like you have enough of this done to knock it together just enough to sit on the shelf (you can always revisit it and add your signature fantastic detailing later). It would make a great addition to our GITTER DONE group build! B)

i grabbed my unfinished builds These days...

"Only" Chrome needed, stripped all trim to work over Ford Vicci (amt)

CIMG181102_000.jpg

There is a Opel Blitz Truck as Backroll Wrecker...

CIMG181102_001.jpgCIMG181102_002.jpg

And my General built, started about 4 Years, trouble with the first clearcoat, stripped, more detailwork done and painted all new - Trouble withe the basecoat...

CIMG181102_003.jpg

Never mind when i started the Imperial...

CIMG181102_004.jpg

My DeLorean as "stock" built, started 6 years ago - Body damaged after a chevy Truck falled from the stash on his Roof

CIMG181102_005.jpgCIMG181102_006.jpg

Last, but not least a Volkswagen from my brother i have in my shelf to make ready

CIMG181102_007.jpg

On 10/31/2018 at 3:36 PM, Foxer said:

With this thread screaming at us again, my loud list hasn;t changed much ...

[...]

Dadd's 56 Kombi [...]

image.png.c0e648cbc3dc8c872f18eae0bf259a58.png

It appears the same reason you stopped, is my excuse too.  I wish there was a photo-etched VW emblem, so that could be taken off, and the paint can be laid down nicely in that area.  My other excuse deals with the interior, but that's another story.

Found another one lurking on the Shelf of Doom that needs to be dragged across the finish line: Get Smart Sunbeam Alpine. I got this far with it 10 or more years ago and you can see what happened: A chunk of the windshield frame broke out for no evident reason. Time to Fauberglass-fix that puppy and GITTER DONE! B)

Alpine01.jpg.0fc73244bb568947052452e94f9e769f.jpg

On 8/26/2018 at 8:28 AM, om617 said:

Great thread and nice projects.

Have a couple,not super old. [...]

DSC_0784.jpg

Hey, if it helps, I vote for this to get finished next!  I want to build the S1 rally car, have the Profil24 kit, Beemax is on the way.   What is that engine?

Ok, I see that I'm the one who dredged up this topic!

Since a new topic has been started, challenging us to actually *finish* one of our projects, I thought this better get posted.  It's based on the '50 Chevrolet pickup, with a resin Panel conversion, that I'm converting to a rare Canopy Express.  Started April 1995, I had a couple of real vehicles that I took pictures of, and I owned a '48 5 window at the time so know something about the engine and chassis.  Since then, we now have the internet, and lots of pictures to download, so that will help.  I actually started working on it a few months ago, so it's time to GIT ER DONE! Vacuum-forming is the next big step. 

IMG_6365_Fotor.jpg

IMG_6340_Fotor.jpg

1 hour ago, 89AKurt said:

It appears the same reason you stopped, is my excuse too.  I wish there was a photo-etched VW emblem, so that could be taken off, and the paint can be laid down nicely in that area.  My other excuse deals with the interior, but that's another story.

I did get the VW front emblem from a Revell Bus which is a separate piece and then cast it in Bondec. Thar worked pretty well, so I should get back to it!  eheh

image.png.2fb83821deb49b16e2e34478be15558c.png

image.png.3c9fb44108674aba52ba174c8d569806.png

On 11/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, Snake45 said:

Found another one lurking on the Shelf of Doom that needs to be dragged across the finish line: Get Smart Sunbeam Alpine. I got this far with it 10 or more years ago and you can see what happened: A chunk of the windshield frame broke out for no evident reason. Time to Fauberglass-fix that puppy and GITTER DONE! B)

Alpine01.jpg.0fc73244bb568947052452e94f9e769f.jpg

Yesterday I glued the missing chunk of windshield frame in place, and Fauxberglassed the reinforcement. Better yet, I think I've managed to round up all the stray parts for it, so I'll be trying to Drive On with it. Paint will be Model Master Italian Red lacquer, just since I have a fairly new can of it on hand I won't be using for anything else. (I bought it because I needed it for touchup on a resto project.) 

20180630_191714.thumb.jpg.c6836d692820c59797cfd9bb7c31559a.jpg

I did end up "finishing" it (not really) got frustrated after the primer I used etched the body a bit and I just went ahead and shot the color buffed it out best I could and gave the model to my dad...

I basically abandoned the build, but in fairness I wasnt going to putty the whole body to cover the etching caused by the primer.

Dad enjoyed it so it was still a win.

I don't know if I would call this one a long stalled project but decided it was the model closest to the finish line. I was frustrated with a wheel that is way out of alignment thus spoiling the look of the model. I found a spare axle so will get the project back on task. Here is the rough progress as it is today. You can see the odd angle to the wheel but with a new front axle it should be better.

J3.jpg

J wheel.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2018 at 7:36 PM, fordf-100 said:

Here is a 1967 Lemans I started about 15 years ago. Dug it out when I read this thread, I also ordered some resin dog dish caps and steel wheels from fireball models , I think it will look good with them!

image.jpg

I had a '67 Lemans that I started to research using one of the GTO kits' Tailights were one concern to change ... how were you planning to handle that? This was a bad venture to an automatic trans, this a trans from hell. Never did get it sorted.

Edited by Foxer

14 minutes ago, Foxer said:

I had a '67 Lemans that I started to research using one of the GTO kits' Tailights were one concern to change ... how were you planning to handle that? This was a bad venture to an automatic trans, this a trans from hell. Never did get it sorted.

The tailights are not perfect, but what I started with is the ends of the side pipes in the GTO kit. I added some plastic angled blocks to get the general shape and then sanded and filed them. I think if did it again I would start with flat plastic and build on that. Mine are a little small and I could have done better, they look good from 5 feet! I want to try a 66 lemans next as I had a black 2 door HT!

image.jpg

13 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

The tailights are not perfect, but what I started with is the ends of the side pipes in the GTO kit. I added some plastic angled blocks to get the general shape and then sanded and filed them. I think if did it again I would start with flat plastic and build on that. Mine are a little small and I could have done better, they look good from 5 feet! I want to try a 66 lemans next as I had a black 2 door HT!

image.jpg

Boy looking at the picture this looks really bad! I need a lot of improvement in scratch building, body work and vinyl tops. Honestly it looks better in person but I guess thats cause my eyes must be bad! That would also explain why the work is bad!  

The lights look good. I get a bit too anal when building cars that have sat in my driveway. The whole thing is a looker!  :)

I've thought about getting the tail lights made by 3D Printing thou the clear red may be a problem. I made a complicated turn signal light in 3D and had it printed at Shapeways. There was no way the other dozen ways I tried could have come close and the 3D light looks very good.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:08 AM, Foxer said:

I did get the VW front emblem from a Revell Bus which is a separate piece and then cast it in Bondec. Thar worked pretty well, so I should get back to it!  eheh

image.png.2fb83821deb49b16e2e34478be15558c.png

image.png.3c9fb44108674aba52ba174c8d569806.png

Oh man, this is a main reason I stopped working on my Bus (not part of this challenge build).  I sure wish someone would produce photo-etch emblems, not just this but the "Volkswagen" like the Gunze Sangyo high-tech kit has.

10 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

Oh man, this is a main reason I stopped working on my Bus (not part of this challenge build).  I sure wish someone would produce photo-etch emblems, not just this but the "Volkswagen" like the Gunze Sangyo high-tech kit has.

That Volkswagen PE piece would be welcome as I need another for a '69 I had.

Thinking of the VW Bus logo, it could be made as I showed from the Has ...  kit, sanded off and applied.

On 8/23/2018 at 9:29 AM, MrObsessive said:

Well, I got a couple I can show that are stalled (there are others, but these are 'recent')................ :huh:

After not one but TWO warped hoods, I had almost given up on this one...........

P7254374-vi.jpg

I have since FINALLY found an original hood in plastic (the one pictured IS warped) and now it's just a matter of getting the ambition to finish this one up. Also another stumbling block was the air cleaner. A shout out to Ron Hamilton who gave me an air cleaner to use a while back. The decals for that air cleaner will be a killer as they're a bit unique, and it's something I may either try to fudge or just let go. Other than that, repainting the hood, and getting some interior stuff done, getting the wheels done and mounted------she's all ready to go!

Bill, I I were you, I'd drive on with the wheels and interior stuff, let the air cleaner decal go for the time being, and GITTER DONE. That hood's not warped THAT bad and we'd gladly accept it as DONE in the Completion Build and you have until the end of March to get that done. And then you can go back and paint the new hood and put it on later. C'mon, join the GITTER DONE FUN, you'll love it! B)

What's that paint? Are you going to have any trouble matching it? 

BTW, I have a nice resin copy of this kit. And I have a resin copy of the kit's "power bulge" hood, too (which was years ahead of its time). I'm planning to build it as a "switcher." I'll have two complete chassis--one completely stock, the other one with mags, slicks, slightly jacked-up rear, and a big engine. Should be a head turner when done! Still trying to decide on a good factory color for it.