Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone mount tires for a living?

Somebody popped two of my tires while I was out the other night, so I had to buy a pair. The left front looked like this when I got home.

IMG_3209_zpsd5897522.jpg

I went back to the tire shop, and was told don't worry it will wear off. Should I be concerned?

Hi Kevin... It looks like ether bead sealer or just the soap mixture they used to mount the tire to me and is nothing to worry about in my opinion...I mounted tires for 20 years seen a lot of stuff before. You can probably remove the stuff with a wet SOS pad or wire brush with bleach white tire cleaner...hose off the tire afterwards with a garden hose. Hope this helps some. Mark

absolutely take it back let them clean that off or use a high pressure wash/carwash to blast the soap off

are you serious? the people who mounted them didn't offer to clean them up? are you ever going back? sorry, that's just sloppy workmanship.

These guys don't seem to care. I complained at the time and they said the rain would wash it off. In fact one guy said "Just hit some puddles". Really? <_< I felt like exploding right then so no, I will not be going back there.

IMG_3210_zps027da94d.jpg

One more trip around with the scrub brush and I'll feel better. :)

Edited by MAGNUM4342

Somebody popped two of my tires while I was out the other night, so I had to buy a pair. The left front looked like this when I got home.

IMG_3209_zpsd5897522.jpg

I went back to the tire shop, and was told don't worry it will wear off. Should I be concerned?

Wow, what should have happened is the owner yelling out " Hey Bill, come clean this mans tire off!" Amazes me what some shops get away with.

I really don't want to bash West Virginia as a whole, but as far as wood county (Parkersburg) they seem to have their fair share of rude, self centered idiots. Heck, I had a 80 something year old woman litteraly shove me out of the way in line at a gas station! Maybe it's because i'm from Canton Ohio originally but I seem to notice more rudeness and a general sense of "I really don't care" around here. They won't be getting any more of my business, rest assured!

It was bad enough that one of the local wingnuts went through the park popping tires. I've found out that several others here had their tires cut too. If I find out it was the local tire shop or an employee I'm seriously going to go off!

I wouldn't go back there but, Canton, Ohio is a little far to go for service. :lol: By the way, Canton, Ohio is where my Mother was from. I remember many trips there to see my Grandparents on Struble Ave. I went to Sam's club for tires and lost three of my center wheel caps on the way home. When I returned to Sam's their response was, "We don't have them". They cost over $50 a piece. That will be my last trip to Sam's for tires.

Edited by rmvw guy

Jim- As I stated in my O.P., it looked like that "when I got home". Believe me, had I noticed it before leaving they would have scrubbed it clean before any cash was exchanged. ;)

Ron- The ironic thing here is, I was just in Canton a few weeks ago for my brother's funeral, and would be going back next week for my birthday...if I hadn't had to buy new tires that is. If you are talking about the Sam's club by the strip I know exactly what you mean. I know right where Struble is too. I used to live on 19th right off of Mahoning. :)

Kevin, I was really sorry for the loss of your Brother, I can only imagine the pain. I only remember Struble Ave. because of the numerous letters I sent there to my Grandparents, that was over 50 years ago. I know a lot has changed there but, I have fond memories. The last time I was there was 1975 when my Wife and I were on our honeymoon. I wanted to show her where my Grandparents lived. The Sam's Club I was refering to is in Noblesville, Indiana, the closest one to where we live now. Some Happy Birthday but, please try your best to have one.

How's this for Karma? I go to my local for lunch, and there at the counter three stools down, is the owner of the tire shop! So my buddy and I start talking fairly loudly about my troubles with the nasty looking tire. As was hoped for the owner caught on and asked if it was his shop. I threw the name at him and he said yup that's me. Pulled out forty bucks and handed it to me saying "Does this cover it?" :D It did.

Thank you Ron. :)

Edited by MAGNUM4342

That's most likely where the old weight was from the original tire. It's not uncommon to see tires these days only need a small amount of weight to balance them, and not necessarily need weights on both sides. This is especially true with the current balancers in use these days, which are far more accurate that what was used even just a few years ago.

As far as what happened with the tire, definitely rubber lube. Looks like they used too much of it, and it was most likely straight out of the bottle and not cut 5:1 like it should have been. Lots of shops do that to make tires go on easier, especially low profile tires, but it does make a mess.

They did balance the tires. The ride is superb I must say, then again I was riding on balloons for a while there. I took it out on the highway last night and she rode like a champ. The shop owner did tell me he would give me a discount on any and all work next time I came in, and with an offer like that plus the discount received in cash I will give them another chance. I did tell him that in this economy I didn't want anyone from the shop manager on down losing their job, but I expected they would be spoken to about it. He seemed a little surprised at this. It is certainly his prerogative to fire them though if he chooses, but I am of a forgiving nature. Sometimes even idiots have kids to feed.

I was looking at your original post, Did they even Balance the wheels with the new tires? Just curious, the pictures before, and after the cleaning. Shows where the wheel weight used to be.

Aint gotta have weights on the outside of the wheel. Been running a Static Balance on my 01 Mustang for years now. Won't have an ugly chunk of lead on my wheel since I painted them black.