Model Cars Magazine Forum

53' Great Dane *Finished*

I've been messing around with this kit for a month or so, and I'm really liking it!

The first thing I finished was the reefer unit- I am not sure if I'll use it on the model yet or not. If not I might make a shipping crate for it and use it as 'cargo' elsewhere. The decals from Modeltruckin' are great- I'd go so far as to consider them a must for anyone who wants to do this kit as a reefer.

001-vi.jpg

I ordered the 2-hole Budds from Ben's Model Parts- I was REALLY happy with these! The only cleanup needed (besides removal of flash from the hub and vent holes) was some minor sanding to the outer surface of one wheel rim. No pinholes or distortion at all! The specific wheels I ordered are meant for AMT tires, but they fit the Moebius tires pretty well, though they're a snug fit. I had to trim some flash and sand the inner diameter of the tires for best fit, and I left the tires out in the sun to heat them up a bit to aid in installation.

001-vi.jpg

002-vi.jpg

The kit will be built about 95% box stock, and I am planning on scratching up some aero skirts for it. I'll be painting it in a standard 'fleet white' (actually Ford Oxford White), as I haven't decided who's company graphics I want to add (if any) and painting it all white will leave my options open for that.

Edited by Chuck Most

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmmm, Meijer is coming to mind, maybe even Walmart!!! :lol: Since Moebius was smart and made their kits 1/25 scale, I don't see why it wouldn't be too difficult to swap in the rollup door from the AMT double trailer kit or maybe even the Ford Louisville. Speaking of the Louisville, you could even steal the liftgate from it and put it underneath. If you would like to steal that idea, just keep in mind, and should do this anyway in the front and rear of the tandem rails anyway, put a bar in one hole of the slider rails a hole or two forward of the liftgate. This prevents the tandems from being slid into the liftgate, and otherwise just prevents the tandems from being slid too far forward or back to where they come out of the rails.

Funny you mention Meijer- I was toying with building this as a Meijer reefer unit. Thing is, I've never seen a Great Dane in use by Meijer- it seems like they use Utility trailers. I should have one of those Louisville van kits laying around- I'll see how well that door fits. Guess we'll see if I steal any more of your ideas... or maybe I'll just pick up another Great Dane and try out the liftgate on that. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Well, after about two years of nothing.... about two hours of effort got me to this...

002_zpsgn5mifi6.jpg

The (unfinished) White Western Star won't be what it's paired up with- the plan was and is to hook the Great Dane up to a Plain Jane, fleet-speck ProStar. Still need to add a few doodads to the trailer and permanently attach the wheels and tires.