Model Cars Magazine Forum

1996 Pontiac Firebird

JasonC

On this build I want the look of a 96-97 Firehawk (Formula body with Trans Am spoiler) but to be slightly modified. So I'm using two kits, Trans Am and a Formula. I took and shaved off the ground effects and started to fill and modify the rear bumper. Cause the Formula kit came with a Trans Am body and rear bumper. The hood, I wanted a ram air hood, but since nobody makes one. I thought I'd try to make one. I used the center off of a Revell 99 Silverado custom pickup hood. And once I started to fill it in, I just decided to keep it smooth in the front and keep the vent toward the back. It's hard to see the detail in the pictures, I still need to finish work on it though. I painted the LT1, Pontiac blue met. Sway bars will be red to look like BMR bars and the shocks will be painted like Bilsteins. The wheels will be off of a R32 Skyline. The body will be a gloss black with dark gray int. I put some flocking in it. With my last build of the Porsche 944 with an LSx, I wanted to do a STS turbo setup. I decided to keep things simple and didn't. but this one here I'm going to try to do the STS setup. I started to make a turbo, let me know if i'm going in the right direction with it...

modelcars_001_923675.jpg

modelcars_002_607879.jpg

modelcars_003_910125.jpg

modelcars_004_198608.jpg

modelcars_006_295715.jpg

modelcars_007_57617.jpg

It's an LT1 ;) . And actually I painted the LT1 in my Firehawk, Pontiac engine blue. Nobody's said anything about it yet when I have it at shows. Unless they don't notice since the engine is shoved half way under the windshield in the ol' 4th gens...

Edited by JasonC

Looks like this will be an interesting build. I`ll be watching.

When I had the engine out of my 1:1 Firehawk, I debated going with Pontiac engine blue as well. Thought it would be something unique.

What year Firehawk do you have? Can you post pictures of it?

I mean as far as taking a portion of the Ram Air hood from the 98-2002 kits and using it to get the basic shape of the Ram Air hood (like you have on your 1:1). By using the nostrils and styrene, you might be able to make the 98-02 look like the 93-97 unit.

Oh, man! That is nice Jason!! What number car is yours? Love the video. I hope, you don`t mind, but I just gotta share a few of mine.

Here is my `94 that I had about 15 years ago. Yours reminded me of it. It was number 312. ;) It had an all forged bottom end, full exhaust, and an ATI with 9psi and twin intercoolers. In a couple impromptu run-ins, it embarrassed a couple sport bikes.

backrigh.jpg

side2.jpg

And here is the `95 I had that also had a 383 stroker, again all forged bottom end. It also had the LT4 intake, heads and cam kit. It was a low number car, only number 31!

1yearhawk.jpg

3-06hawk3.jpg

And here is my current Firehawk. It is number 350. It has an LS6 cam, full exhaust with long tubes, ported and shaved heads (11.5:1 compression or so). If I were a better driver, it would run quarter miles well into the 11`s. AND still gets 28mpg average on long trips.

front2.jpg

Oh my!!!!! Nice. And are you trying to corner the market on Firehawks lol! But mine is #48. Although SLP messed up the numbers in 96 cause only 41 where made that year. My car was made in May, so the adjusted number is like 35 or 36.

But mine is #48. Although SLP messed up the numbers in 96 cause only 41 where made that year. My car was made in May, so the adjusted number is like 35 or 36.

That`s right...I forgot that they were *very* limited production in `96 and `97. Did it come with the Trans Am spoiler?

Sorry I derailed your thread a little bit. :D How is the model coming along?

That`s right...I forgot that they were *very* limited production in `96 and `97. Did it come with the Trans Am spoiler?

Sorry I derailed your thread a little bit. :D How is the model coming along?

Yes it did. 96 and 97 got the Trans Am spoilers. I don't mind going off track some. Cause sooner or later threads do get back on to the topic. Haven't touched the model, was working on real cars lol. But may work on it some today.

Nice work, I like that gen of 'Bird.

Question: would not that setup have massive turbo lag?

Bob

From what I understand it has some, but not much.

Nice build and car, even though its a lt1. Haha I have a 00 trans am. Love the ls1.

I like how you did the sts setup. I'm building the 02 camaro kit and putting a front mounted turbo on it, different axle with some big slicks. I cut out the grill area and gotta make a fmic to stick behind there. Can't wait to see yours done.

• 1 month later...