Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need Suggestion On Paint

Been thinking about my next build which is the Hurst Cutlass & I'm going to paint it white but the white I'm going to use will be Pearl White Lacquer so I use Donn Yosts technique on painting the body's so my question is do I still lay down the silver first then spray the White Pearl ? Not sure how the coverage will be over the silver base.

Actually, it will look great . Silver makes White really stand out . Yes, because Silver is considered a "Cold " color , it will appear on the cold side . I have shot Silver under a Refrigerator White on several occasions with good results ............

X2. You can come up with lot's of really cool colors by changing the base.

Actually, it will look great . Silver makes White really stand out . Yes, because Silver is considered a "Cold " color , it will appear on the cold side . I have shot Silver under a Refrigerator White on several occasions with good results ............

A lot of guys naturally think that the obvious base for white pearl is of course white. That can yield a great paint job but it tends to fight itself. Especially under bright lights where you want to see pearls to get the effect. The use of a silver or gold (or any metal base) allows light to reflect from both sides of the transluscent pearlescents and gives a much brighter, more fun paint job to look at.

Herbie the love bug is always my go to example for this. If you watch the original movie, Herbie appears to change color. While many bugs were used to represent Herbie, the constant is his appearance. All the bugs were painted with the same 1963 pearl white, yet in indoor scenes or low light he appeared to be a very light grey. In natural light settings such as the highway scene he seems to be stark white, while under studio lighting he was a beige or pale goldish color. It's fun to watch, but this makes many folks argue over his true color.

The 1955 Lincoln Futura was one of the earliest cars painted in pearl. Although it was a "frost blue pearl white" many folks took the car to be seafoam green, but this was due to the color of the carousel the car traveled with. Pearlescent colors cause retinal rivalry. A condition where the throwing of light caused each eye to see a different color. When these two colors met in the brain, they made a third color as the color perceived. Thus is the fun of pearlescents. :)