Model Cars Magazine Forum

Copper Bug - 24 Hour Build

Hollywood Jim

I sat across the table from Jim while that little beauty came to life. It is killer.

And, by the way, the "rule" for our 24-hour build is that the kit has to be sealed at the start of the session, so there can be no "pre-assembly." (And, "pre-finished" kits are not permitted.)

So, what you see was accomplished wholly within the 24 hours!

Too cool! I love it!

However... I will never get the whole "build a model as fast as you can" thing. To me, I just don't see how putting an arbitrary time limit on yourself is "fun." :blink:

I know that clubs love that sort of gimmick, but I just don't get it. Yeah, sure, you can throw a model together in 24 hours... but so what?

Oh well... :D

It's more about the camaraderie and fun than it is about cranking out a show winner. Once a year, we spend 24 hours building, sharing, b-s'ing, helping one another, stealing ideas from one another, and watching a vast array of races 'round the clock. It's a hoot. Then you go home and sleep the next day! LOL.

ca·ma·ra·der·ie (kä m -rä d -r , käm rä d -r ). n. Goodwill and lighthearted rapport between or among friends; comradeship.

It's more about the camaraderie and fun than it is about cranking out a show winner. Once a year, we spend 24 hours building, sharing, b-s'ing, helping one another, stealing ideas from one another, and watching a vast array of races 'round the clock. It's a hoot. Then you go home and sleep the next day! LOL.

ca·ma·ra·der·ie (kä m -rä d -r , käm rä d -r ). n. Goodwill and lighthearted rapport between or among friends; comradeship.

You're not the only one with a dictionary... :P

To me, camaraderie can be had without the clock ticking. ;)

Correct !

It's not so much about the model. I learned that. Eight builders only three finished.

I was there, yes I can attest, Danno did a lot of sharing and b-s'ing.................... LOL

I did the 24 hour build in February. Like others said above, it's really not about the models. It's a fun thing to do with others, much unlike most modeling being a solitary activity. The key is to find a kit that is expendable... that means not valuable and you won't miss it, just to have some fun. I built the '53 Studebaker Miss Deal Funny Car. Why? Because I had three of them and I always wanted to see how it went together. And it wasn't that complicated a kit.

Then you just have at it. Don't sweat all those things like body prep like you are going into surgery. Just start spraying, gluing and build like a sixth grader. You'll find out just how much fun we have been missing since we got so serious about a kids hobby!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...