Model Cars Magazine Forum

67 GTX rebuild Sinister Snake Update 11-05-21 Finished!

TFchronos

This is the rebuild of my oldest surviving model kit and is my second entry to the Cannonball Run cpb. I built it when I was 12 or 13 so it's about 10 years old. My plans for it this time around are to build it up like something from the Fast and Furious movies. It will have the suspension and power plant from a Viper thus the snake part of the name. Bare bones interior, roll cage, something made for performance, haven't decided on a color yet I got a few ideas but just can't decide.

Here's what I'm starting with.

Post1Pic2_zps5590b78a.jpg

Post1Pic1_zps4d73a57b.jpg

And now. . . wait for it . . .

It's BATH TIME!!! :D:huh: . . . . *looks around* -_-<_<

Alright come out from behind the couch everyone, I'm talking about the car not you guys.

Post1Pic4_zps5bb41d27.jpg

And after 2 odd days it's half done.

Post1Pic5_zps5c689c72.jpg

And after 2 more days the blue is off, I'm going to try to take the grey off but for now I think I'll used it for sanding. There's a few aspects of the car I want to change.

Post1Pic7_zpsea3379dc.jpg

And that will kick off this build, thanks for looking.

Edited by TFchronos

Well I've started work on the frame, after some debating on whether or not I should try modifying the stock frame or build a new frame for the Viper suspension, I decided to build a new one and here's were it's at so far.

Post2Pic2_zpsdf310140.jpg

Post2Pic3_zps77af32a4.jpg

Post2Pic5_zpse8dafa9e.jpg

Post2Pic4_zps79add155.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Started work on the body the changes are as follows.

Before

Post1Pic7_zpsea3379dc.jpg

The wheel wells were a little to small for my liking so I removed the trim pieces around them and the trim below the doors.

Post3Pic5_zpse2c6f293.jpg

Smoothed up the roof and removed some of the trim along the bottom of the roof.

Post3Pic7_zps6281d17f.jpg

The gas cap has been recessed to improve aerodynamics (not by a lot though). This idea was borrowed from the Daytona from Fast and Furious 6.

Post3Pic6_zpsb64b77c1.jpg

And Finally the most noticeable change the grill. Going for a Fast and Furious look and just a little more intimidating overall I thought it would look pretty good with a wire mesh grill, very similar to the Charger's grill. It will get the wire mesh shortly (next update).

9d7ed5b9-d191-4e93-8b27-e82c3550afc8_zps

Here's what it looks like on the car. I also cut out most of the engine bay so I could squeeze the wider tires in.

Post3Pic2_zps536d2ce4.jpg

Thanks for looking! :)

Thanks you guys!

Here's another update starting with the grill. The mesh is brass screen .006 dia. which was picked up off of ebay. A free sample actually, I bought a larger scale mesh screen a while back. I guess he was trying to promote a new product anyway as soon as I saw it I knew exactly were it was going.

Post4Pic7_zpsfe5e90f7.jpg

On the car

Post4Pic1_zpsab0aff13.jpg

Continuing with my modding spree I removed the window posts.

Post4Pic6_zps454fcd8f.jpg

I'm also changing the back end a bit. I'm going to body most of it in getting rid of the chrome, I think I'll leave the bumper chrome though idk, opinions welcome. :) I'm also bringing the tail lights all the way across and relocating the back up lights into the bumper.

Post5Pic1_zps3a3d8265.jpg

Post5Pic3_zps7027202e.jpg

I'm also thinking about bodying in the front bumper. I have two and the chrome has worn off one of them so I thought I'd try it out, that will be part of the next update I think. Opinions, idea's, criticism, all of it is welcome.

Thanks for looking!

I think chrome bumpers look better, or if your chrome is too bad, you could strip and spray them aluminum, but body color looks too dated to me anyway. And as for the back up lights, Foose always removes them from bumpers, so I think if you want a smooth look, I'd skip that design idea as well, it won't be backing up much anyway, I'd say no back up lights if you're going with a red lense all the way across that back. I don't use outside mirrors on my customs either, keeps it smoother looking, but just like back up lights, if it was a real car, they would be required...........luckily it's a model! Oh, and I love your grille!

Edited by dino246gt

Thanks for your inputs you guys.

Update time, the engine is sitting on it's own now and the rear end has been resized to fit.

15479a5a-ea87-46a9-b7cb-f33923f857d5_zps

Post62_zps29cf38a4.jpg

If you look at the body of a gtx it's got a little bow to it, the roof doesn't follow it, it goes up a little. So I thought I'd change that on mine a lower it just a little, not to give it an angry squinted look, just lower it to keep it consistent with the body. Here's how much I was going to lower it by.

Post64_zps9f3278e8.jpg

It should be noted this is the first time I've ever tried lowering a roof and my inexperience showed. Using a lighter to warn the posts to bend them a little the plastic got to hot to quickly and curled all around. With one ruined I just cut the other side off and proceeded to make my own posts, hopefully I can make them look good, if not I'll have to locate another body. I wont ever be doing that again, here's what it looks like now.

Post65_zps70bfa48a.jpg

Post66_zps825488c9.jpg

Well see where it goes from here, thanks for looking! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Here's an update. I'm going to keep working with this body I think I can make the windows look good so I'm on to other things now. This first pic is of the front end piece I had been working on which would have been bodied in. The second is with the chrome bumper, after comparing the two I'm liking the chrome a little more, your opinions on this are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Post7Pic3_zps862226fe.jpg

Post7Pic6_zps21c2f3da.jpg

The next set of pictures are of something I've never tried before and that is cutting out the doors and trunk lid.

Post8Pic2_zps480a2b22.jpg

Post8Pic1_zps89820577.jpg

Post8Pic4_zpsaa775269.jpg

Post8Pic5_zps3f63c042.jpg

As always thanks for taking a look.

nice job cutting out the doors and trunk lid I've thought about trying that but I haven't been brave enough to actually do it.

Thanks, it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, as long as you have a good blade and a steady hand you will be fine. Making the hinges is proving to be a little bit of a challenge though.

if you haven't done it already, I suggest adding some internal bracing to the body since it will be very fragile with the doors/trunk cut out and the roof dropped a bit.

it would be a shame for it to go all to pieces after this much work.

I have a small scale TA that I'm leaving "cutting the trunk open" till after I've completed all the door panel fitting and interior work since I have to do a bunch of fitting/testing/disassembly during this process.

if you haven't done it already, I suggest adding some internal bracing to the body since it will be very fragile with the doors/trunk cut out and the roof dropped a bit.

it would be a shame for it to go all to pieces after this much work.

I have a small scale TA that I'm leaving "cutting the trunk open" till after I've completed all the door panel fitting and interior work since I have to do a bunch of fitting/testing/disassembly during this process.

Thanks for the advice, it feels pretty strong but I'll see about adding some bracing or something to strengthen it up some.

After a few failed attempts some head scratching and a few more failed attempts I finally got the doors back on. The trunk lid will have to wait until I get the back of the interior in before I can attach it. Next I'm going to sand off the rest of the grey and spray a new primer on it then start working on the body work.

Post9Pic3_zps95639e6b.jpg

Post9Pic5_zps993cc34f.jpg

Post9Pic4_zps94c8225f.jpg

Post9Pic6_zps617b7c89.jpg

I also made custom headers for the engine, stock ended up hitting the frame so I tried my hand at making my own.

Post9Pic1_zpsd40cc84d.jpg

Thanks for looking!