Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rattle Cans - who still uses them?

I tried going back to nothing but rattle cans for my first few cars, but getting a good finish is easier for me with an airbrush. I still use cans for certain things. With cars, chassis and engines get the can treatment, and anything I want white, as well as some interior stuff. With airplanes, it is my base cockpit colors, tires, and propellers I still use cans.

I use spray cans for things like priming, clear coating, & basic jobs like any parts painted black, etc.

I will use spray cans when I'm painting bodies a basic "non-metallic" color like black, red or white.

Where I use an airbrush is for any body painted in a metallic color or anything odd.

I use MCW paints because I can't get past the large metal flakes in most spray paints like Duplicolor & Testors.

Plus I like to use factory colors as much as I can.

Pretty hard to find 1958 Chevrolet "Cay Coral" in a rattle can.

I also use the airbrush a lot for interiors.

I like to mix my own interior colors from flat enamels.

Steve

Really?! I've never seen it around here. Will have to try to find that for sure!

Check around, it is usually listed as being for lexan RC bodies, but will work on plastic and styrene models. Hobbylinc sells it for 12 bucks for a 3oz can, but it has lasted me for quite a while since you don't use much at a time.

When shooting large pieces like chassis's flat black I prefer rattle can Master Master or Tamiya. I most certainly prefer Tamiya fine grain grey and white fine primers in rattle can. Haven`t been able fine the Alclad II Chrome in rattle can but; I`m interested in giving it a spin. Everything else is airbrushed.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

I've been using an airbrush for about 20 years now. I use it exclusively. If I see a color I want in a spray can I decant into a jar and use my airbrush. I like the control I get with an ab and the fact that I can mix and spray any color I want. But that's just me. I have some friends that do some spectacular work and use spray cans. Ken

I use both. Depending on the color If I can find it in a spray can I will use it. If not I will break out the air brush. My problem is I have zero place to air brush, I use my utility room/ bath room. putting paper down on the floor.

I do miss our old place where I had a basement and a spray booth.

Tim

At the risk of being redundant I have a few things to say about both.

Both are tools.  Nothing more nothing less and as such each can have it's place in a modelers arsenal of tools.  They are by no means and "either/or" tool.  In other words, each has very specific purposes and is best at a particular task and you get different results from each.  It is important to say this because rattle cans vary from manufacture to manufacture and even within a given line.  For instance, Tamiya TS paints are acrylic lacquers and Tamiya has engineered the nozzles to spray at a generally higher volume than other manufactures.  Their paints are also mixed so that they flow out rather quickly and flash off a little slower than some so that you get a good even glossy finish.  The Tester cans, also lacquers, spray a finer mist that is more atomized so the coverage per pass is a little more even.

The same is true with airbrushes.  By construction, they can be designed to paint everything from very fine line less that 1/64" to over a 3" wide fan.  They are also designed to spray paints at various viscosities and particle sizes.  In other words, all airbrushes are not the same and you may need several to do all the jobs you may want to do with them.  This is why some come with a combination of needles and nozzles.  It is also why paints come in different viscosities and with different particle sizes.  

Honestly, no one can definitively tell another person the one is better than another.  All they can say is that they have developed techniques to use what they choose that work for them.  Everyone needs to use what they can get the best results for them. 

Personally, I have four different airbrushes and each as a specific use that does a particular task for me.  I also have stacks and stacks of rattle cans that also have a purpose.  Some times that purpose is just to decant so I can spray them through an air brush, others are for a particular color and sheen that I use frequently in small amounts, such as Tamiya Semi-gloss black for engine parts.  It is just more convenient to rattle can a sprue all at once and be done with it, rather than getting involved with cleaning an airbrush. 

The use of airbrushes does not mean the death of rattle cans.  They are complementary tools that each modeler can put to good use if they choose to. 

That is my story and I am sticking too it!;)

Edited by Pete J.
sp

• 4 weeks later...