Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rattle Cans - who still uses them?

I have been using rattle cans since i started modeling way in 2002. Been using them ever since. Will eventually buy an airbrush, for better control, but wanted to know if there are others who still uses them?

Edited by tiking

So true Harry. Good to know i am not alone. Two things prevented me from getting an airbrush.

1. Small space.

2. Hate the clean up after every color change.

But i am sure the advantages out weighs the disadvanges...right?

So true Harry. Good to know i am not alone. Two things prevented me from getting an airbrush.

1. Small space.

2. Hate the clean up after every color change.

But i am sure the advantages out weighs the disadvanges...right?

The biggest advantage, IMO, is the absolute control an AB gives you. The biggest disadvantage: everything else! The thinning of the paint, the cleaning of the AB, dragging out the compressor, etc. I don't have the kind of work space where I can keep an AB and compressor out all the time, ready to go. So I tend to get lazy and just grab a spray can. Shake and spray... no thinning, no cleanup afterwards.

Me. No space or funds for an airbrush. Just shake, rattle and roll...I make it warm in hot tap water, or not quite simmering, shake like crazy and make sure the nozzle is kept clean (spray it out upside down when finished until you don't see color). But most of you know all that. I haven't built anything in a very long time, but my plastic spoons look beautiful.

Edited by sjordan2

Air brushes have their place . So do spray cans . me , I use both in my exhibit work along with a lot of little touch up brushes too. For a fairly large piece and a single color , go with a spray can . If you need "Fine detail and it's a relatively small area , I'd almost suggest an air brush ...........

I use cans for common colors or to make life easy.

But...when I need to get a special color mixed, want to try something a little different, or simply feel like playing, I love my airbrush.

It doesn't have to be expensive, either. I use a Paasche H, which is a bout $50. It's a nice, all metal airbrush that's very easy to use and cleans out easily.

The compressor is easy, too. A pancake compressor, like used for a contractor, can be picked up at Harbor Freight or Craigslist for very short money. With Harbor's coupons, you can usually get one for under $75. Runs on 110 and you'll have a compressor for tires and other stuff, too.

An airbrush isn't too expensive, in short. You can get a decent setup for well under $100 if you shop carefully and intelligently.

Charlie Larkin

This would be an interesting subject for a numerical poll of our members, under POLL: Rattle can or airbrush? Which do you prefer or use most?

PREFER:

__ Spray can

__ Airbrush

USE MOST:

--Spray can

__Airbrush

Edited by sjordan2