Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP 1964 Dodge D100 Utility Truck

003_zps0582e5e3.jpg002_zps3bac0711.jpg001_zpsd387fef5.jpg

1964 D100 Utility truck cast by Modelhaus. It's only my 3rd resin kit, but it's the first that I'm actually close to finishing. I still have some paintwork to do on the body, plus I need to source/modify an engine. I'm not set in stone on what engine it'll get, depends on what I can find or possibly alter from the parts box.

The paint, which is actually going to be the bottom color, is rattle can Valspar Tractor and Implement enamel from the local TSC, Massey-Ferguson Gray. I plan to 2 tone it with Massey-Ferguson Red on top, plus the grille and hubcaps, then print up some M-F logos and a dealer name to make it into a dealership service truck.

• 2 weeks later...

Bill nice work on the utility Dodge looking forward to seeing more progress pics. Did yours come with the big metal axles ? I'm working on the 65 CSS and decided to use a typical small diameter axles it allowed me to get the hight that I was looking for.

Update, got the paintwork straightened out for the most part (still need to redo one small part), it's now in a final paint scheme.

052_zps20a81d46.jpg054_zps39b22709.jpg

I ended up changing the 2 tone, it was originally going to extend around the bed. After the issues I had with the paint lifting (again, my fault, not the paint) and seeing how it looked, I decided to strip the bed and go with the single color.

I still need to make the decals for the doors, finish the interior, and come up with an engine, which is most likely going to end up being a Slant 6, since I have one from the Lindberg Dodge in my parts stash.I'm also considering adding a driver, as I have visions of putting it in a diorama I've been planning to build for some time, part of which now is going to include a drive-in diner from SMBC. I'm thinking of having it parked there with the driver getting a bite to eat.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill I think the paint scheme looks good. Figure that in real life the body and the box would have been painted at different times. It would have been very difficult to order the box in two tone to match the line on the body since it wasn't on the chassis when painted. This looks like the proper solution.

• 4 months later...

Yes, it is a complete kit (no engine or trans though). The bed itself is also available on its own, but with a plain tailgate, as the one in this kit is a standard Dodge tailgate. Right now, this one is stalled, I'm waiting to get with W-M-D for an engine block (going to attempt to make my own Poly 318) plus I still need to make the decals for it.