Model Cars Magazine Forum

Today's Raid On Big Lots

scored pretty big at Big Lots today; found three AMT '50 Ford convertibles, the Fall Guy truck, a Scout, a Red Wagon, and of all things the '88 Daytona front drive. we all know the good stuff well, the Daytona i bought because of the price and to see what it consisted of parts-wise. it's got the turbo 4cyl and a generic smallblock V8 "improbability drive" engine; matter of fact it has TWO 4cyl block assemblies. haven't determined WHY yet. rest of kit is pretty simple and it might eventually end up as a racecar of some type. pretty good haul; oops, i missed the CAT cougar i got too; eight kits for the price of 3 from hobbytown.

Mine had the escalades, 300C, Bigfoot, 56 T-bird, Eckler Corvette, PL Ford GT, 53 Double Flip, 81 Bronco, 51 Fleetline and the 65 Lincoln. That is pretty much every Big Lots within reasonable driving distance to me. I cleaned out pretty much all of the F&F mustangs that I found. I am gonna keep checking around. Luckily, I have a bunch of Hobby Lobbies in the area and they too have some of the AMT kits for about 5 bucks too. Got one HL near me that had the 74 GTX and International Scout for those prices. I plan on grabbing a few of those this weekend.

Hit a different Hobby Lobby last night and found 2 Big Deuces on closeout at about $29. Grabbed them both, one for me to re-live my original build (~1969-70) and one for my son so he can have that experience too. I've been in three different H-L's lately and I've noticed while they are all running closeouts on the AMT kits and an occasional Revell kit, the pricing has not been consistent from store to store. Still some good buys though.

Yeah, I have gotten two Big Dueces at those prices in the last year. I keep waiting for the Academy 1/32 F-18 to get to those prices. One of the local H-Ls has Enzos for around 35.00$ right now. They had about 7 or 8 of them. I know if I wait long enough, they will come down from there even more. We even have a Hobby Lobby outlet store, called the Basket Market or something like that. It is where they take all the unsold clearance items and sell them even cheaper. I once got a ton of the Colors by Boyd line for 65 cents a can. I gotta remember to make a run by there soon.

Big lots in Howell didn't have too much. I picked up two sonoma pickups,two 70 something chevy pickups,one Chrysler 300 and one escalade. They didn't have a big choice. I found a good deal at kbtoys. three amt kits and a paint kit in a value pack for $14.98 I bought two sets. I'll proably go back for more. If there is no store in your area try kbtoys.com :blink:

Hey guys,

After reading this thread, i went out the Big Lots near me. At this store, they had the Escalades, 300Cs, 76 Caprices, 69 Baracudas, 71 Mustangs, International Scouts, 61 Rancheros, Camaro street rods, GMC trucks, and Silhouettes. I grabbed a Shilouette, 76 Caprice, and a Mustang.

The Big lots here in Grand Rapids didn't have ###### IMHO anyways but I did score on a 34 ford and a 57 ford

all they seemed to have were the 300c, 61 ranchero, the early 70's chev p/u, escalade and some newer chev p/u

and the 57 flip vette would like to have seen some of the other kits mentioned above!

The Big lots here in Grand Rapids didn't have ###### IMHO anyways but I did score on a 34 ford and a 57 ford

all they seemed to have were the 300c, 61 ranchero, the early 70's chev p/u, escalade and some newer chev p/u

and the 57 flip vette would like to have seen some of the other kits mentioned above!

A pal called and said try Big Lots here...(merced, Central CA) I burned some '55 F100 rubber, when I got there I had missed the '63 Galaxies, but there were two 'Bigfoot' trucks left, and 12 or so Merc Topaz (?) and 2 display cases, which I snagged. Got to watch the Big Lots.

Michael's Arts & Crafts stores carry AMT/Revell also. Last year, they had a sale and AMT kits were $6.