Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1990 Mustang LX with increased headroom.

Yes,but it should be able to provide a viable "buck" if nothing else.

My buck fits perfect, the problem thus far is the material and process. But...

Here is the latest version in .030" butyrate:

P9180038_zpsfeb64326.jpg

Much nicer! Dare I say Modelhaus nice? Thicker than what they use, harder to de-buck than the thinner stuff. I'll have to modify the buck so there are no undercuts.

Getting there...

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

I have no intention of criticizing anyone, but I have been following the evolution of opinions on this kit, roof height, etc., and I am having a hard time trying to understand why any of this is of particular importance. This 1:1 Mustang almost destroyed the Mustang brand for many reasons including weak, lousy styling, and I just don't get it.

I have no intention of criticizing anyone, but I have been following the evolution of opinions on this kit, roof height, etc., and I am having a hard time trying to understand why any of this is of particular importance. This 1:1 Mustang almost destroyed the Mustang brand for many reasons including weak, lousy styling, and I just don't get it.

Then why post in this thread if you have no interest in or understanding of the subject? Are you just trying to stir up trouble? The Fox era Mustang saved the Mustang brand after the disasterous Mustang II...these were and are very popular cars amongst Mustang enthusiasts.

Edited by Rob Hall

Then why post in this thread if you have no interest in or understanding of the subject? Are you just trying to stir up trouble? The Fox era Mustang saved the Mustang brand after the disasterous Mustang II...these were and are very popular cars amongst Mustang enthusiasts.

I'm just trying presenting another opinion on this car, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Opinions are what this forum is about. If you think I'm trying to stir up trouble... well, I won't say it. Your combative comment is one to stir up trouble.

Edited by sjordan2

Skip you may not like this cars style, but they sold a ton of these .

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Mike if you lay the windows down flatter they will form easier . Unless you intend the back and side windows stay in one piece. You will get less webbing forming on the sides while the plastic folds while it is sucked down over your buck. This will give you less height to over come with the forming.

Andy, that's the direction that I'm going in right now. I'm getting tired of wasting butyrate, so I am redoing the buck with less slope, and I'll include a sheet of material to make the 1/4 windows rather than forming them - because the material curves nicely so there is no reason to do that. Also, I was using resin copies of the masters, and I glued them to the sculpy with JB Quick. As it turns out, the heat and suction warped the resin where it wasn't reinforced, so now I'm back to using the kit plastic masters on the new form; this time with lots of reinforcement so they won't buckle. I will then pull a clean mold, fill that with epoxy or resin to make it a solid block, pop it out, and use that for the buck.

-Mike

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Andy, that's the direction that I'm going in right now. I'm getting tired of wasting butyrate, so I am redoing the buck with less slope, and I'll include a sheet of material to make the 1/4 windows rather than forming them - because the material curves nicely so there is no reason to do that. Also, I was using resin copies of the masters, and I glued them to the sculpy with JB Quick. As it turns out, the heat and suction warped the resin where it wasn't reinforced, so now I'm back to using the kit plastic masters on the new form; this time with lots of reinforcement so they won't buckle. I will then pull a clean mold, fill that with epoxy or resin to make it a solid block, pop it out, and use that for the buck.

-Mike

Mike, at work we used two part epoxy to cast our vaccuform molds. Granted these were all for shipping trays for GM truck fuel pumps . Same process but they were 4 foot square molds. The epoxy is what we had to use for it to hold up to the abuse. We never ran the mold, just made them for a customer.

Great job!! I finally picked up one of these kits, that I planned to make a hatchback out of, to copy my 1:1 car. After seeing what you have done here, I'll probably just wait until it's ready to go and buy one of the resins. If you think you'll be able to get a hatch version done, I will ABSOLUTELY wait for it!!

I've finally got the glass worked out. The sculpy mold was not strong enough to live through more than a few pulls, the resin glass masters were warping under the heat and suction, and the primer surfacer on the glass masters was out-gassing onto the plastic - partially clouding it. The solution was to make a new lower profile sculpy master, reinforce the kit glass masters by JB-Welding the resin copies behind them, pulling a good thick .030 sheet down over them, and having Greg fill that new mold with resin.

P9200039_zpscc4b89c0.jpg

The resin was then popped out, the new rock-hard master was blocked and polished, and sheets of .015" PETG plastic sheet were tried. Result: Perfect.

P9200040_zpsddf9cfbd.jpg

It's hard to photograph clear parts, but they are very nice. So now that I have this figured out, it's time to find a supplier of .015" PET plastic sheet to get it more economically than going through K&S. Then, the body kits will be ready to go.

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

The Fox body and it's styling did not save the Mustang. The 5 liter engine did. The Fox mustang was mediocre at best until the 5 liter 4 bbl came out. The performance sold that car despite the boring two door Fairmont styling. Had it had better styling it may have actually out sold the camaro. as it is the camaro outsold the fox mustang most years of it's existance. The Fox mustang didn't save the car, it kept it on life support until Ford could get its act together.

I love it when people bash a car they have probably never owned because of the heritage. Ford sold millions of Fox bodies over the span of 14 years. Get over it, if you don't like the car don't post.

Actually 2.5 Million cars in 14 years isn't that big of a deal. It works out to less than 180,000 units per year. not exactly record breaking.

The Fox body and it's styling did not save the Mustang. The 5 liter engine did. The Fox mustang was mediocre at best until the 5 liter 4 bbl came out. The performance sold that car despite the boring two door Fairmont styling. Had it had better styling it may have actually out sold the camaro. as it is the camaro outsold the fox mustang most years of it's existance. The Fox mustang didn't save the car, it kept it on life support until Ford could get its act together.

I have to disagree, being a diehard ford owner, the fox body mustang did not save ford, ford was fine. The truck lines have always carried ford. The fox style and the publicity that it recieved from pacing the indy 500 helped save the mustang line. The car returned to a sporty style with power, V-8 power. The 5.0 has been in play essentially from the beginning, while yes it was a 289 for several years, a simple longer stroke crank pushed the car to 302 cubes and actully 4.9L if you would like to split hairs not to mention that a 4bbl was available on all but the 6cyl engines since day 1 in 1964. the fox body came out with the v-8 as the flagship engine as well as the v-6, I-4 and turbo I-4 (pace car)that being said, the fact that ford killed the UGLY, underperforming mustang II in favor of the v-8 fox body style is what brought back the automotive passion for the mustang. The gas crisis of the 70's and 80's nearly killed the sports cars of the time.

Now back to the model, wow, I am amazed at the level of work and detail that has been put into this project. Simply amazing, i remember as a kid it was a race to see how fast I could get the cars put together, and to see if I could do it with one tube of cement or less! Paint?! that came years later, and now, it takes months to get something acomplihed as I watch and study what amazing modelers like you are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know the rear wheel openings were a bit 'off' as well- wonder if they did that as a compromise for the upcoming drag racing version?

Anyway, I've got to hand it to you for the effort you've spent on this one. It'll be a marked improvement over what comes in the box, hands down. Me? I'm taking the easy route and using the kit as a donor for that MAD '79 Four-Eye notch. B)