Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1990 Mustang LX with increased headroom.

I'm not a fan of the fox body 'stangs but, as has been said; "that's why there's chocolate and vanilla". What I am a fan of, though, is craftsmanship and problem solving. Brother, you got 'em in spades!

It's also been fascinating to see the processes that go into creating a resin kit. Thank you for an inspiring and educational thread.

Hey Mike, amazing work man! I'll get ahold of Greg ASAP. Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on a couple of these!

Foxes are my favorite Mustangs. I don't care if other people don't like them, it just means the prices will not go too high for me to buy another when I'm ready to!

I've owned a '79 Pace car, '80 Coupe, '86 GT, '87 GT, '91 GT, and now a '91 Coupe. Plus an LTD LX 5.0 H.O.

And yes I love Pizza King, especially the Strombolis! Used to have one close by when I was younger, now I have to drive 30 miles to get a good Pizza........but worth it!

Roy :D

Thanks everyone. My post on the finished resin kits was moved to the resin section in the "Paging Greg Wann" thread.

Very, very cool. That looks great. I can't wait to see your personal build continue and I hope you're still considering making a hatch version for us less talented type. :)

I'd like to do a hatch, we'll see what happens when the bench is cleared from the coupe build project.

Hey Mike, amazing work man! I'll get ahold of Greg ASAP. Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on a couple of these!

Foxes are my favorite Mustangs. I don't care if other people don't like them, it just means the prices will not go too high for me to buy another when I'm ready to!

I've owned a '79 Pace car, '80 Coupe, '86 GT, '87 GT, '91 GT, and now a '91 Coupe. Plus an LTD LX 5.0 H.O.

And yes I love Pizza King, especially the Strombolis! Used to have one close by when I was younger, now I have to drive 30 miles to get a good Pizza........but worth it!

Roy :D

Great Fox collection, I've got an '80 Fairmont Futura, the '92 coupe, and a '93 Cobra that I bought new. It's interesting how the same chassis yielded three totally different feeling cars.

It's time for A/C and automatic conversions:

Here are the belt/pulleys from the LX kit (bottom) and an Ertl '92 Ford F-150 kit. The F-150 is just about the right configuration for an A/C system.

PA120045_zpsae4699e9.jpg

And the AOD transmission from the same F-150, cut from the kit 351.

PA120046_zps30c0884e.jpg

I cut the plain trans pan away to use the excellent engraved pan from a Revell '91 Cougar kit. The AOD and the T-5 are the same length and bell housing pattern:

PA120047_zps1e70c623.jpg

"Bolts right up" to the LX 5.0 engine.

PA120048_zps3b3ca5e3.jpg

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Time to mock all the major parts up and ensure that everything fits, suspension and stance adjusted, and new wheels/tires/wheel backs adapted.

New kits have very close engineering tolerances between body and interior/chassis, often making the body tricky to install on the chassis. This one is no exception. Remember the adjusted rear bumper? Revell used every bit of the extra room that the extended bumper allowed to fill with chassis plate. So the back edge needed to be trimmed to fit:

PA250001_zps0d3086b5.jpg

I went in about 2mm further than that black line and trimmed a bit from the rear sides before the chassis fit. Adding the interior tub revealed more areas that needed to be trimmed or sanded for additional clearance so that the body could go all the way down. Some of the early resin bodies have the right side a little thicker than the left, but oddly, so does the plastic kit body. The shaded areas were sanded and thinned a little, and the body seated like a champ afterward.

PA250011_zps6a8d9ad5.jpg

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Suspension attention came next. I'm using resin Pony wheels, the Goodyear GSC tires from the Monogram '94-'95 GT and pace car kits, and the wheel backs, bushings, and front suspension from the Monogram '91 GT convertible. I found that the front suspension from the Monogram kit is a near direct swap for the Revell, nearly as detailed, narrower, and places the wheel/tire combo perfectly in the 1:25 body. You can use the springs and rack and pinion from the Revell kit, but you don't need to.

For the rear, the Revell rear end is much more detailed and fits better, so the ends were cut off and the ends from the Monogram rear were cut and attached to the Revell rear.

PA250002_zps8cac09ae.jpg

Trim the center ridge from the Goodyear tires, and the wheel, wheel back, and bushing install and place perfectly. Use the pin vise to drill holes in the axle and the ends and super glue with bits of stainless steel rod to regain the strength.

PA250003_zps732ca6b5.jpg

The rear end places the rear wheels too far rearward in the body, so to adjust the wheel base, drill the Monogram axle ends to mount about 2mm forward.

PA250004_zpsaaad50e9.jpg

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Front suspension, Revell on the bottom. Monogram fits well, almost as detailed. Incredibly, exactly the right width.

PA260012_zpsf760f27a.jpg

Test fit:

PA250010_zps409cc349.jpg

PA250007_zps906c364a.jpg

This is a "factory 2nd" body. It wasn't perfect, a little too thick in some areas, bubbles down low - not something we would send to a customer. But fine for me, a bit extra work but no reason to toss it.

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

• 2 weeks later...

Like my driver, the engine will be a bone stock 5.0 with automatic and air.

After a few more rounds of micro-sanding and priming, I'm calling the body work done.

P7280016_zps0c118042.jpg

The final step is to get the window glass in order. I'm modifying the stock glass to be used as vacuform masters, this involves lengthening them with plastruct and using super glue/accelerator and glazing putty as filler.

P7280027_zpse1dbf3fa.jpg

I've never done this before, so hopefully I'm on the right track.

-MJS

Nice work

Mike,

You did an excellent job on the body mods. I would like to get one, once I have the extra funds.

Thanks Ron.

It was time to do one of my least favorite tasks in model building, changing upholstery patterns. The kit has the 4cyl LX/police upholstery and seats, the '92 civilian cars had the GT sport seats and tweed upholstery. I started by filling the side bolster seam lines:

PB050026_zps564b09e1.jpg

Then adding ribbed Evergreen sheet to make new inserts. Rounding the upper corners of the base seats makes them look a lot more like the GT seats.

PB050028_zpsf90343a7.jpg

Putting the new inserts over the old looks accurate on the front seats, but the rear seat is flat; so the inserts had to be cut out so the new inserts could be mounted flush. Separating the seat into upper and lower halves made this easier.

PB060030_zps0d2c6a8d.jpg

The pleats are deepened and rounded, seam lines scribed into the front seats, and primer is added.

PB110009_zps0d0f5c2f.jpg

Painted Ford Ruby Red interior color:

PB110011_zps970f2a93.jpg

As a final step, the backs and sides are masked off, and flat black is lightly fogged on from about three feet to simulate the red tweed color, before several light coats of flat clear are added.

PB110015_zps984f5ea7.jpg

-MJS

Dash - built stock except clutch pedal removed.

PB180029_zps7fd2a50c.jpg

Console - automatic shifter base removed from an MPC Fox console, shifter made from a pin and styrene rod.

PB180031_zpsf4dcacb1.jpg

Engine: F-150 belt/pulleys added with Monogram A/C compressor. Kit does not come with A/C. Revell disregarded the big aluminum alternator/air pump bracket altogether, and instead cheated a bit by making the alternator nearly double thickness so it would contact the head. Cheesy. It's the wrong alternator anyway; a '94-up 3G internal fan unit, while the Fox uses the older 2G model. So I used the one from the F-150, and modified the F-150 P/S bracket to work as the alt/air pump bracket. I also made an A/C - P/S bracket for the other side, and used a couple of PE pulley faces.

PB180021_zps94021d93.jpg

The fan on the real car is white plastic, so the kit fan was left unpainted and is realistic that way. Safety pin wire fuel rails were also added.

PB180023_zpsd0951c8d.jpg

F-150 AOD trans looks right and fits stock cross member.

PB180024_zps791faabf.jpg

-MJS

Then why post in this thread if you have no interest in or understanding of the subject? Are you just trying to stir up trouble? The Fox era Mustang saved the Mustang brand after the disasterous Mustang II...these were and are very popular cars amongst Mustang enthusiasts.

Agreed, I'd say they are a modern "55" Chevy in terms of the popularity they have. :)