Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1990 Mustang LX with increased headroom.

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect! Im messing around with the same kit but im not going to go as far with the body. I applaud you for taking on this many corrections and look forward to the finished product. Whats the plan engine wise?

Like my driver, the engine will be a bone stock 5.0 with automatic and air.

After a few more rounds of micro-sanding and priming, I'm calling the body work done.

P7280016_zps0c118042.jpg

The final step is to get the window glass in order. I'm modifying the stock glass to be used as vacuform masters, this involves lengthening them with plastruct and using super glue/accelerator and glazing putty as filler.

P7280027_zpse1dbf3fa.jpg

I've never done this before, so hopefully I'm on the right track.

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

I'm modifying the stock glass to be used as vacuform masters, this involves lengthening them with plastruct and using super glue/accelerator and glazing putty as filler.

I've never done this before, so hopefully I'm on the right track.

-MJS

Looks like you are (on the right track) to me, Mike! Great work.

{PS - It'd be nice to get this body of yours cast.}

• 2 weeks later...

I dropped the Mustang off to the Master Caster on Saturday. We talked about models, resin casting, the hobby, real cars and trucks, and future projects, scale and otherwise. Greg didn't let any weeds grow under it, and it's in-process. To see how casters who know what they are doing cast, check the thread on the SMCBoP site.

http://smcbofphx.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rs&action=display&thread=1848

90Fox8_zpsc39aa364.jpg

-MJS

Oh YES, THIS is wat it's all about. i HAVE to agree with Harry that we should NOT have to do these mods OURSELVES for the price paid for the product. But since it's wat we got, an it's only plastic, CUT that rascal up! YOU sir, give me hope and knowledge that we plastic cutters are alive and healthy! i may not cut it quite as well as you, but I don't let that stop me! GREAT conversion, THANKS for shareing it!!!!!

Thanks again for the nice words, guys.

Awesome work in the conversion! any chance we could twist your arm and get you to do a convertible?

Depending on how this goes, quite possibly. I'd like to do a convertible with both up and down tops, and a hatch back. If I do a hatch, I'd love to do a '93 Cobra, since the Monogram version is hard to look at.

-MJS

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got the glass master made up for the vacuforming. With no better idea, it's made of Sculpy oven bake modeling clay; I'm sure there is better stuff to use, but this will do for now. Pull one was not very successful, I waited too long with the sheet under the heating element, so it drooped down too far, and I got runs in the windows. Pull two was much better, I didn't let the sheet droop as far, and I got no runs.

P9150030_zps804619c3.jpg

You can see the first windows behind it. The first usable window unit:

P9150032_zps409c5dd5.jpg

We're making good headway on this.

-MJS

Edited by Maindrian Pace

Great job, Mike. I know you are having fun. I started the hood mold over on our forum. I liked that it did not have the usual rough areas that would normally represent under hood insulation. I gave the hood a polish treatment and will see for fun what the hood looks like in clear. If you happen to get one it is just me experimenting. It is a great way to get material used up before it sets too long and just goes bad. I have found that when science determines a expiration date on resin products they are on the dot. So, I have tossed out good money. I think my failure rate might be higher if I lived in a high humidity area. I'm pretty sure I would have a de humidifier in my room.

Have you compared a convertible front windshield to the new body, after you raised the roof ? It should be a pretty close fit, with minor trimming on each side.

I have tried the Monogram convertible windshield. Height isn't a problem, but the glass is flatter with not enough curve. And we all know what happens when you try to bend clear styrene.

Great job, Mike. I know you are having fun. I started the hood mold over on our forum. I liked that it did not have the usual rough areas that would normally represent under hood insulation.

Greg, it is fun to use that machine. But it also brings me back to my less than fun dental lab days. However, I suppose that without working at the lab, I wouldn't have known about the machine, so it all fits together somehow.

-MJS