Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

'56 Thunderbird Super/Gas

12 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

When I was first building models in the ‘60s I was also the “Staff Photographer” at Milan dragway up the road in Michigan from where I grew up in Northern Ohio. One of the fan favorites was a ’56 or ’57 T-bird running in one of the mid gas classes with a carborated small block Ford motor. The car was called Mister Persistence and really cleaned up every Sunday. The owner trashed it one off season by going for the Funny car look, converting it to a long wheelbase flip top roadster with a big engine. I think it was the semi-hemi but I don’t remember. He just couldn’t get it to run right ever again.

In returning to modeling I decided to resurrect a more modern version of what this car would be today in Super Gas with a Mountain Motor and K&N style hood scoop. I really didn’t know what I was doing half the time but I kept at it until I made it work. Learned a lot about making a plan and sticking to it on this build.

Enjoy:

001wbk.jpg

002oyn.jpg003cft.jpg004wjl.jpg005qfb.jpg006aav.jpg007zki.jpg008xm.jpgThanks for your time.

Dale

Posted · Report post

I REALLY like this! what's that black bit at the bottom? looks interesting...

Posted · Report post

Looks good Dale. Black parts for areodynamics I'm guessing

Posted · Report post

I was wondering the same thing. The ignition wires look a little oversize. I like the concept.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the comments. The panels under the car are aerodynamics of sorts. They were added as afterthoughts because I thought the car sat too high. This is the first motor I wired and I used a material from the craft store called Memory Thread. It's wire cored thread and was easier t work with. And yes, it's out of scale. I can d this better, now. The engine itself is a bit out of scale. It's a Ross Gibson Mountain Motor and is larger than the 1:24 BOSS 429 in the Revell '70 Mustang that I think it's based on.

Dale

Posted · Report post

Nice Build Dale, l like it..

Posted · Report post

Real nice Dale, I was toying with the idea of a 55-57 bird as a drag car, but thats as far as it got, but I like it too!!! :D

Posted · Report post

Nice build Dale!

Posted · Report post

Looks good Dale!

Posted · Report post

i like it :D

Posted · Report post

i like it :D

Thanks for the comment! It took forever and I learned a lot about building with purpose and forethought from the project.

Dale

Posted · Report post

Looks good Dale. Black parts for areodynamics I'm guessing

It looks like the panels they put under semi truck trailers