Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monogram 1/24 '64 GTO restomod, 7/21 update.

Geno

Another project on the burner. I'm using kit parts and parts from a scrapped GMP '70 GTO diecast that got smashed, including the wheels, tires, RA IV engine and various other parts so it'll remain all Pontiac. I'll also pick up the '64 GTO PE set from Model Car Garage. :D

post-10751-0-18008700-1370735907_thumb.j

post-10751-0-36282800-1370735911_thumb.j

post-10751-0-79293000-1370735960_thumb.j

Edited by Geno

This is a very cool idea. The Monogram '64 is a great kit. The Ram Air 400 is a great touch and those wheels and tires are awesome. If I might make a comment about the ignition wires. In 1:1 you will rarely see the spark plug wires running over the valve covers. They run either before or behind depending on distributor location. This way the valve cover can be removed without disconnecting the wiring.

Here's a pic.

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=lot&pic=/1967/67_00343_3

Thanks Rob, that makes sense, something that'll be easily remedied. I need a '64 GTO hardtop to go with my 1/24 GTO diecast collection and this'll be perfect, and thanks for the kind words. ;):)

Edited by Geno

• 1 month later...

This is a very cool idea. The Monogram '64 is a great kit. The Ram Air 400 is a great touch and those wheels and tires are awesome. If I might make a comment about the ignition wires. In 1:1 you will rarely see the spark plug wires running over the valve covers. They run either before or behind depending on distributor location. This way the valve cover can be removed without disconnecting the wiring.

Here's a pic.

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?type=lot&pic=/1967/67_00343_3

with all due respect to Rob and the person that he referenced to point out plug wire routing, I disagree with Rob's statement about 1:1 cars. Pontiac DID run their plug wires over the valve covers, I'm guessing in order to keep them as far away from the exhaust manifolds as possible. My advice is to leave the plug wires as they are unless you feel changing the routing fits your taste better.

a lot of factory GM cars routed the plug wires over the valve covers and provided tabs on the covers for plug wire clips to maintain spacing and routing.

Man this thing is Awesome! Im a big Pontiac guy and always look out for the Pontiac builds. I built a '64 GTO 4-5 years ago when i was 11. It looks terrible but it was my 2nd model. I may rebuild it after im done with the '72 GTO im working on now. Going to be putting up a build thread on that soon. Keep up the great work! Those wheel and engine look real nice!

Mike

Edited by Odaroloc24

Man this thing is Awesome! Im a big Pontiac guy and always look out for the Pontiac builds. I built a '64 GTO 4-5 years ago when i was 11. It looks terrible but it was my 2nd model. I may rebuild it after im done with the '72 GTO im working on now. Going to be putting up a build thread on that soon. Keep up the great work! Those wheel and engine look real nice!

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'd like to see some of your pics & builds. I'm a Pontiac nut myself, lol. And a nut in general. ;):D

Ya, I dont want to hijack your thread so Ill just post a couple of pics. The purple one is my 1st model ever, the silver one is my 3rd, and the 64 was my 2nd one. I also have the 72 in primer now. I also have some Rally II for the 72.

DSC03594_zps435bde94.jpg

DSC06260_zps68cd2fe1.jpg

DSC06254_zpsada1e1cf.jpg

Keep up the great work!

Mike

Edited by Odaroloc24

All of my models have little things wrong with them like not painting at the same time so i had to use a different red for the hood and the nose for the 64. When I painted the purple one i painted too thick and the paint is cracking on the silver one. Good luck on your 64! Cant wait to see it when its done!!

Mike

Edited by Odaroloc24

Cool builds Mike and thanks for the kind words. The '72 looks like it's gonna be killer. I don't care if the thread get's hijacked, lol. We're all here to have fun plus I dig looking at the pics. ;):D

Finally got the interior started, this is what I have so far. Waiting on the flocking for the floorboard and still need to finish up the BMF & adding the window cranks and pedals plus finishing up the console and Hurst shifter.

post-10751-0-32592800-1374430093_thumb.j

post-10751-0-89889900-1374430094_thumb.j

Edited by Geno