Model Cars Magazine Forum

On the bench: Fujimi Ferrari F430 Challenge

Zoom Zoom

I've started the new Fujimi F430 Challenge. I'll show some shots of the body itself, some shots of the Challenge-specific parts, and some comparos with the stock "Optional Parts Version" F430. Fujimi made a myriad of changes from stock, and for the most part have done a really admirable job of the conversion.

The body is crisp but there's a ton of work to polish out the mold lines and rescribe some of the slightly-faint cut lines for the doors and bumpers; I spent the better part of Saturday getting this model into finished primer. I also spent time molding in the separate front air ducts ahead of the front wheels. This model will be built in basic Pure White w/red seats and no race markings; basically an "as-delivered" custom-ordered car that the owner can decorate (or not) for club racing. I will refinish the wheels in bright painted gloss silver.

Primed1-vi.jpg

Recesses for hood pins, headlight washers deleted (by Fujimi)

FrontDetail-vi.jpg

Comparo with stock:

FrontComparo1-vi.jpg

Stock fuel door deleted, replaced by quick-fill fuel inlets on both sides. Slight crease on body is a bit soft in comparision w/a Tamiya Modena. Sharpening the crease requires more work/putty than I feel will be worth it on a gloss white model, so I'll leave it be.

FuelInlet-vi.jpg

Rear1-vi.jpg

RearComparo1-vi.jpg

Many changes from stock. No place for a license plate either.

RearComparo2-vi.jpg

Challenge Stradale style rims from the optional parts F430 on left; Challenge wheels w/centerlocks on the right. Sizes are the same between the two wheels from the two kits. Tires are lame. The CS wheels and extra set of stock brakes from the Challenge kit are going on my Z06.

Wheels-vi.jpg

Multipiece seats; the seatbacks/sides are separate which will aid in the application of C/F decals to them.

SeatsEtc-vi.jpg

Challenge-specific parts. Also included is a two-piece fire extinguisher, chrome exhaust ports, hood pins, tow hooks. Only disappointment is the Challenge grilles are engraved (nicely) vs. using mesh. I'll keep them as molded.

ChallengeParts1-vi.jpg

Engraved side glass detail is a nice touch if not 100% prototypical.

Glass-vi.jpg

Lots of changes to the interior, from the tub to the door panels to dash and the rollcage.

InteriorBits-vi.jpg

Bob,

Looking good! I was not aware of that model until you mentioned it last week. I have pictures of a local white Modena Stradale with red interiors, no racing markings. That car looks AWESOME.......

I have the Revell F430 and I'd like to build it next.

Thanks,

Good review Bob!

Did Revell or Tamiya do this car also?...............I thought I seen this kit at our club meeting this past Saturday but I'm not sure. Someone had a similar build there, but theirs had engine detail. Your review of the car has my curiosity up.

One can never have too many Ferraris! :mrgreen:

Not Bob but......

Revell has the F430 available with engine detail. However, Fujimi has several versions: the regular F430, the F430 with "Optional Parts" and the Challenge version. they both made a convertible version as well.

I have the Revell coupe. I'll work on it soon.

Thanks,

Good review Bob!

Did Revell or Tamiya do this car also?...............I thought I seen this kit at our club meeting this past Saturday but I'm not sure. Someone had a similar build there, but theirs had engine detail. Your review of the car has my curiosity up.

One can never have too many Ferraris! :mrgreen:

The silver Ferrari that I saw from pics looked like it was a Revell F430.

Revell does a stock F430 and F430 Spider, both have engine detail (but not to the level of a Tamiya 360 Modena). Fujimi does curbside stock, Optional Parts (Stradale-style wheels, sport seats) F430, and F430 Spider (coming) along w/versions of both w/some photoetch (though not for the Challenge, at least yet). For a stock F430 Revell's is pretty good for the price. I've seen excellent examples built, one in particular by Dave Thibodeau.

There is a good amount of engine top-end detail on this curbside Fujimi kit, plenty of detail for all that you see through the clear rear window/engine cover. The car has aero skirts underneath that completely cover any engine/transaxle detail, so this kit should satisfy most people except the hardcore that just have to have an opening engine cover. If that were the case they should buy a Modena from Tamiya and use it as the transkit for an F430; and also buy some aftermarket photetch that should be soon available for the Challenge grille mesh.

This is a great relatively simple kit to start with, and a great start for someone wanting to do a very detailed racer. I would imagine the aftermarket will be offering more. A lot of these parts could also do a roadgoing "Stradale" that should be announced by Ferrari soon; so Fujimi will probably have that as well.

• 6 years later...

So, how far off is the Challenge kit from the IMSA / ALMS 430? I had purchased the Revell 430 with thoughts on building the racing version, as there are severl decal sheets available from Patto's. All was well in my mind till I saw an issue of Road and rack where they did sofe by side on track comparisons of the street and ALMS versions of the Porsche GT3, BMW M3, Corvette ZR1, Jaguar XK R, and the Ferrari 430. The magazine had great back to back side views of each pair......there are huge differences in the side views...

So, my real question, save the hyperexpensive resin kit of the ALMS 430, where would you start??

Thanks,

Jim