Model Cars Magazine Forum

Box Stock Hasegawa '72 Toyota Celica Road Racer

Art Laski

Painted some other bits.

011-vi.jpg

PartsPaint005-vi.jpg

PartsPaint002-vi.jpg

My dog ate one of the wheels a while back, so I had to cast another one. > :(

I have to thank Matija, aka Powerplant, for attempting to hook me up with a replacement. Unfortunately, the postal service kept tearing the parts right out of the envelopes, not once but twice. Nevertheless, I sincerely appreciated his kindness for making the effort, and it inspired me to get going on this one, so all was not lost. Thanks, Matija!

PartsPaint006-vi.jpg

PartsPaint003-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I made some more progress on the chassis. I used Silly Putty on this one and it worked well. I used a little liquid mask too, but I wish I hadn't. I was more trouble than it was worth. I think the Silly Putty on its own would have been fine.

ChassisPaint002-vi.jpg

ChassisPaint001-vi.jpg

ChassisPaint003-vi.jpg

Here's the exhaust pipe prepped.

ChassisPaint004-vi.jpg

Edited by Art Laski

i currently working on hasegawa kit too it feel nice

and your painting skill is master class specially the masking job,,,

keep a good work

i will keep my eye on this one

Thanks, Henry! It's pretty cool that you are watching from so far away. B)

Also completed the tires. I had some trouble with the yellow Dunlop tire decals that came with the kit ans messed them up. The kit came with both a white and yellow set, but I really wanted yellow to contrast with the red body so I wasn't keen on using the white ones. Fortunately, I found a set on a Speedline sheet I had in the stash that were perfect.
Tires001-vi.jpg
Tires005-vi.jpg
Tires010-vi.jpg
Tires012-vi.jpg

Here are the finished chassis painting shots, before weathering.

I don't know how far you intend to go with "weathering" but you may want to consider that race cars were usually spotless underneath. I raced a Mini Cooper 'S' back in the late sixties/ early seventies, and we made a point of keeping the underside and engine compartment really clean so we could see any major problems that may be developing.

Just a thought.......

Tony

Nice work! The headlights look really good. I have the Nippon Grand Prix version, next up on my bench. It's basically a stock car kit with all the parts to convert it to a race car, also.

My parents had a '72 when I was growing up. I want to get the other versions of this kit eventually.

www.japanesenostalgiccar.com is a good site to see pics of these old Japanese cars.

I don't know how far you intend to go with "weathering" but you may want to consider that race cars were usually spotless underneath. I raced a Mini Cooper 'S' back in the late sixties/ early seventies, and we made a point of keeping the underside and engine compartment really clean so we could see any major problems that may be developing.

Just a thought.......

Tony

Tony, I totally agree with you. I was planning on a subtle approach. Thanks for the feedback.

-Art

Nice work! The headlights look really good. I have the Nippon Grand Prix version, next up on my bench. It's basically a stock car kit with all the parts to convert it to a race car, also.

My parents had a '72 when I was growing up. I want to get the other versions of this kit eventually.

www.japanesenostalgiccar.com is a good site to see pics of these old Japanese cars.

Thanks, Jason, for the comment. I really like some of the cars on that site. Thanks for looking.