Model Cars Magazine Forum

What a shame!

These two cars are setting outside of a junkyard the next town over. I've lived in this area going on 30 years & they were there when I moved here. :(

Two cars that more than likely would cost more to restore than they would ever be worth completely restored, unfortunately.

Art

Many times, cars are restored because of nostalgia, family memories...what ever. The truth is Art, is that no car is really going to recoup it's restoration cost unless it's a Hemi Cuda convertible or some such rare car.

For a car to be economically viable (meaning one could sell it for enough to at least cover the cost of restoration) it would at least need to have a very sound body, with little if any real rust on it. If there is rust, and there are no patch panels available, the cost will go way, way up. In the case of that Olds in the picture at the start of this thread, the only way one would get usable replacement sheet metal panels (quite possibly rocker panels are available, given that there were convertibles and hardtops produced that used the same rockers--pretty typical of the Big Three for decades) would be to find them as rust free sheetmetal from one of the specialty yards in the dry western states. Still though, the costs run up, even with reusing existing sheetmetal, even modern-made patch panels. It would be no different with the Datsun in that picture, probably even worse, given that import cars back in those days were far more prone to rusting out than most any US car.

Art

If you do the work yourself, and are smart about your initial investment ie. A popular, but not too popular 2 door car with minimal rust, you can easily recoup your investment or even turn a tidy profit. When the time comes to part with my trans am I will have no trouble at all making a profit and will likely even double my money. Including the costs it took to paint the car.

A restored 240z went for $40000 in Australia. We get ripped off for car prices. My Subaru BRZ cost $39585 drive away. In America I saw the price on the net $27000. Nissan Gtr R35 $180000 Australian. Our prices are so marked up even before taxes. So I guess my point is that 240z would be well and truly worth restoring in my neck of the woods. Cheers fellas

Ben

So what's wrong with "more doors".." They're still cool old cars, and 2 door cars are getting even harder to find now.

For the most part, 4 door cars are best for parts cars. Just cause they are old, don't mean they are cool. Cause in the end, it's still a four door.

show me the car in that picture worth restoring??? I see a more-door and a Datsun...

I see you have poured a small mint into your 1:1 over the last year. A car i would never spend a dime on. Now that z, well, i would do the same to of you did on your car.

So basically, it is up to the beholder on what they would love to restore.

Guest Johnny

For the most part, 4 door cars are best for parts cars. Just cause they are old, don't mean they are cool. Cause in the end, it's still a four door.

Never been a more true misstatement of fact.

What you have stated in "personal opinion" at best.

There are probably more people who would rather have the old 4 doors than those who want the two doors.

Not everyone thinks it has to be a hot rod or race car.

I like them because they are what I grew up around and think!!! there were way more four doors and station wagons produced than any other body style.

While you are correct Art, those that choose to restore the 4 doors are just as passionate as those who want only the 2 doors. Just their reasoning is based in two different worlds.

The 240Z most likely is almost rusted in half at the point just behind the front suspension as almost all are/were. But they do make a repair for that and they are a sought after car.

I like my 4-door Belvedere. Granted it's not as "cool" or desirable as a 2-door- but it also was nowhere near the price. Chassis is the same, engine is the same, body lines are the same for the most part (has a taller roof line, and of course, the extra doors). 4-doors are great cruiser cars. Pile people in and go for a cruise up and down the strip, or to the car show, or the drive-in. And when the day comes that I have a young'n... it'll be a lot easier putting a car seat in the back of my 4-door Belvedere than a 2-door.

A big boat Buick like that? Flat black paint with some pinstripes, lakes pipes, red steelies with wide whites... who cares how manty doors it has? It's cool.

Four doors are great for lots of things...

Like...hmmm... Errrr.... Wait I kno- never mind... Hang on.... Ah! I got it... They're great for making tin cans out of! And target practice!

I am guessing you do not like four doors, and that is fine, nothing wrong with it, but some people do, and again, that is nothing wrong with that either , everyone has different things that get them off, two doors for some, four doors for others

True. But what would a 2-door be worth in the same condition? In most cases the cost of a rebuildable 2-door is out of reach of the average guy, with two kids a minivan and a mortgage. A 4-door would be less than half the cost and thus, have become much more desirable. Especially old wagons.

The old four door cars are what the young guys are driving around here mostly . They can not buy the big dollar stuff , so they get the next best thing . They are cheaper and in better condition for the money.

Four doors are great for lots of things...
Like...hmmm... Errrr.... Wait I kno- never mind... Hang on.... Ah! I got it... They're great for making tin cans out of! And target practice!

Mark that is what most people think about the TA that you fixed. To each his own. Nothing wrong with your love for your car why question others.