Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tip - Containers for Decanted Paint

I bought a dozen of these at Walmart for about $9. One 3 oz. can of spray paint will fill the container about 2/3 full. The resealable lid keeps the paint usable. Not sure about long term storage, but I'll find out eventually.

post-9974-0-26987700-1370985415_thumb.jp

Seals are a big issue. I have used "paint jars" from Michaels for decanting lacquer and I have to remember to remove the seal from inside the cap first. It's a foam material and will dissolve into the paint. I have to wrap it in a rag to shake it and wear gloves. But it seems to store OK.

Dale

nice little tip.

food for thought though...

go to your local auto body supply and purchase pint paint cans...they are relatively inexpensive and they are made for paint

or Michael's and Hobby Lobby both carry 2oz and 4oz solvent proof plastic bottles with a "dispenser" cap. They are $2.99 for 3 of them, but with a 40% off 2 item coupon, they aren't too bad.

DSCN1391_zpsdb89df30.jpg

Edited by fatkidd

Don't those have a rubber or neophrene seal around the lid? If so, the solvents in the paint will rapidly degrade the seal . . . big leakage/spillage hazard.

Yes they do. I'm not sure what the material is made from. I have cleaned the seal with lacquer thinner several times and it doesn't seem to cause any degradation. One of them has been in use for over a month and seems to be fine. I'm going to keep an eye on them though.