Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hand painted bodies? (brush painted)

Painting model cars by hand brushing is how it was done way back in the beginning, before Pactra introduced their line of "Sof-Spray 'Namel" in 1959. Back in those days (the dark ages to many if not most modelers today!) enamel paints were almost always sold as "4-hour enamel", meaning that it took about 4 hours for the stuff to dry just to the tacky stage (dry to the touch took 12-24 hours). That allowed the enamel to "flow out" quite a bit, and with the proper brushes, it was very possible to get at least a passably smooth, shiny finish.

It takes a slow-drying enamel of course, and for best results, a soft, natural hair brush (most of the synthetic artist's brushes I've seen (and use for detailing) are far too stiff for this, IMHO. Even better is if the brush is a flat brush, at least a quarter inch wide, with bristles at least a half inch long. This gives a wide, and smooth brush stroke, without the noticeable brush marks of a round brush.

As for slow drying enamels, Humbrol Enamel is still that old, slow drying formula, as is "One Shot"--a line of professional sign-painting enamel (which BTW when thinned and airbrushed, can give amazing results--but that's a topic for another time, another thread).

Art

I have a friend who brush paints everything due to severe allergies. He's capable of just about anything with a brush. But it takes him a lot longer to do it, and it took him way more practice to get to the level he's at. (He's a professional model maker, he now primarily does master patterns for resin companies, but used to do lots of commission builds of various subjects)

Here's an example of what he's capable of with a brush (not car-related)...

http://paulkeefesblog.blogspot.com/p/kv-i-eckranami.html

He might've brush painted them but there's no way in hell he didn't at least sand them back & polish them.

And your point?

Spray painted, airbrushed or hand brushed, most all of us polish out a paint job. Good results come from a good base, and I give credit to anyone who can hand brush paint and get these results.

Brett's reference to Paul keefe above is a case in point, it takes a lot longer, and a lot more practise.

G

He might've brush painted them but there's no way in hell he didn't at least sand them back & polish them.

And your point?

Spray painted, airbrushed or hand brushed, most all of us polish out a paint job. Good results come from a good base, and I give credit to anyone who can hand brush paint and get these results.

Brett's reference to Paul keefe above is a case in point, it takes a lot longer, and a lot more practise.

G

What do you mean, what's my point?? The POINT is its been sanded back & polished. Too hard for you to comprehend?? People, or rather, new to the modelling hobby, shouldn't think they can get a paint job like that with a paint brush, because you CANNOT. Pretty simple.

For the record, I used medium and large soft-bristled synthetic-bristled brushes that I bought from Hobby lobby. The Red '40 sedan is one coat of Testors #1103 square bottle Red, out of a well-mixed brand-new bottle. The kit plastic was light tan. It is unprimed but washed with rubbing alcohol. I applied two coats of Future with the same type brush that I painted the car. The Tangerine '32 Vicky was molded in Silver plastic. I applied two light coats of Plastikote Sandable White Primer. I used a brand-new square-bottle of Testors Gloss Tangerine/Mandarin Brilliant that I bought at a Michael's store. I applied one coat of Tangerine with the same two brushes I used on the '40 sedan. When the paint cured, I applied two coats of Future by brush.

I don't own an airbrush. I didn't sand and/or polish anything. I have been brush-painting airplanes and military vehicles for over 50 years. I think I know my way around a bottle or tin of paint and a paintbrush by now. I am thinking about another car model in the not-too-distant future(maybe a '55 Chevy two-door sedan). Both of these cars are finished using the same techniques that I use on my airplane builds. I have many of my builds posted on Hyperscale's Airfix Group Build Forum and the Retro & Nostalgia Scale Modeling Forum.

Adios, Larry.

Hi, guys. please be cool. My Grandpa said that there are a thousand ways to skin a cat, and about half of them work. I never intended to open a can of worms with the submission of my whole car collection. I build models for fun. last year I got the idea of replicating my first car build in 1962 with a repeat of the same car. I did it just for fun and a change of pace. I, like everybody else here, and on all of the modeling forums that I follow, build what they want and the way they want. I think my cars are O/K. Therefore I took a chance and posted them on a forum that is populated with a whole bunch of VERY talented modelers. I guess I just wanted to run them up the flagpole to see if anybody saluted. I have tried to be open about how I work and the techniques that I use. I do not wish to cause any trouble. I repeat that I think very highly of what I have seen here. I thought it would be cool if I could play with the big kids. Most of you have been very kind and gracious in your comments on my humble efforts. Thanks. Adios, Larry Schmidt.

Edited by CSMO

Larry, I'd just like to say I NEVER said/commented that your work wasn't good, if not, great, even more so since you use a brush. I merely said that they look like they'd been polished & forgive me if I'm wrong, but Future is a type of polish, right? I didn't mean any of my comments in a negative way, ok? Obviously you've become quite adept at brush-painting in your 50+ yrs in the hobby & BIG cudos to you mate! Well done & you keep doing whatever you want & however you want mate.

Cheers Cliff

Larry, I'd just like to say I NEVER said/commented that your work wasn't good, if not, great, even more so since you use a brush. I merely said that they look like they'd been polished & forgive me if I'm wrong, but Future is a type of polish, right? I didn't mean any of my comments in a negative way, ok? Obviously you've become quite adept at brush-painting in your 50+ yrs in the hobby & BIG cudos to you mate! Well done & you keep doing whatever you want & however you want mate.

Cheers Cliff

Um ... no. Future is a type of liquid floor finish, a clear coat, if you will. Polishing is a technique by which you accomplish a glossy finish by using progressively finer and finer abrasives.

Hi, guys. please be cool. My Grandpa said that there are a thousand ways to skin a cat, and about half of them work. I never intended to open a can of worms with the submission of my whole car collection. I build models for fun. last year I got the idea of replicating my first car build in 1962 with a repeat of the same car. I did it just for fun and a change of pace. I, like everybody else here, and on all of the modeling forums that I follow, build what they want and the way they want. I think my cars are O/K. Therefore I took a chance and posted them on a forum that is populated with a whole bunch of VERY talented modelers. I guess I just wanted to run them up the flagpole to see if anybody saluted. I have tried to be open about how I work and the techniques that I use. I do not wish to cause any trouble. I repeat that I think very highly of what I have seen here. I thought it would be cool if I could play with the big kids. Most of you have been very kind and gracious in your comments on my humble efforts. Thanks. Adios, Larry Schmidt.

Larry, you do nice work- that's all that matters. Try to disregard the drama.

Um ... no. Future is a type of liquid floor finish, a clear coat, if you will. Polishing is a technique by which you accomplish a glossy finish by using progressively finer and finer abrasives.

Well forgive me... This Future stuff isn't available down here & I've only ever heard people here refer to it as a type of polish. Polishing is a "technique".... You still need actual polish to perform... Polishing ;-)