Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '40 Ford Coupe Review (1983 Re-issue)

Duntov

Wow, those Toronado-esque wheelcovers are interesting! I guess they're supposed to be used with the stock trim rings?

I don't think the trim rings will fit if you use the Toronado covers; the rings are seated on the center rather than the rim.

Bill's images seem to have disappeared, so here's a look inside a Trophy Series kit:

Thanks for posting those photos, Casey! My first '40 kit was that same issue, molded in tan, back in '66 or '67.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

thanx for noticing my super high res macro photography; those headers are just white glued on there for display and will probably be replaced (with ones with the seam properly removed) when the motor actually goes into something. funny thing is I probably have about an hour in on removing seams from those headers (tony nancy by the way). none too successfully apparently. :lol:

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2014 at 8:13 AM, Matt T. said:

I know about the blue line GY slicks. What else was restored/retooled/included?

I think this kit uses many of the same parts from the Sedan Delivery kit, so expect similar content. Round2's web page for the kit doesn't boast of any major additions nor upgrades, so other than the art print and larger box, I wouldn't expect more than a nice decal sheet and clean parts. http://www.round2models.com/models/amt/1940-ford-coupe

amt40fordcoupe.jpg.b1cd67e20257456a65b5a398a374c634.jpg

Edited by Casey

Casey, that 25th anniversary '40 Ford Street Rods kit is 1973. !973 is 25 years after AMT started in 1948 as Aluminum Metal Toys.

Anytime you see an AMT kit number end with -225, its a 1971-1973 kit with $2.25 kit price. After 1973, plastic prices went crazy and no more prices printed on the box.

Nice box collection.

Casey, that 25th anniversary '40 Ford Street Rods kit is 1973. !973 is 25 years after AMT started in 1948 as Aluminum Metal Toys.

Anytime you see an AMT kit number end with -225, its a 1971-1973 kit with $2.25 kit price. After 1973, plastic prices went crazy and no more prices printed on the box.

I didn't know AMT used the price extension like Revell did, so thanks for that info.

I was in a hobby shop in Hollister, California this past weekend and they had the new re-issue in an oversized flattish box. Difficult to tell from the packaging ,but it looked like the Sedan Delivery stuff was missing ,and we're still stuck with the Toronado 'caps (i.e. no baby Moons). Grrrr... Still, I'm glad this is being re-issued and the molds refurbished. If someone buys one could they publish a review?

"looked like the Sedan Delivery stuff was missing" ? :huh:

Further back in the descussion some one expressed a desire for some of the parts that were offered in the Sedan Delivery kits (in particular the recent 3 Stooges re-issue). Examples include the baby Moons and the DeSoto style ripple bumpers - both of which were included in the Cocal Cola re-issue of the coupe, IIRC.

Edited by Bernard Kron

• 1 year later...

...could one of our AMT 40 FORD experts tell me....what colors did the early issues of the original 40 coupe, tudor, and the 40 coupe trophy series come moulded in.....I want to get one, but want to know the possible combos prior to jumping in. I do know, as stated earlier in this thread, some of the custom and race parts are quite interesting compared to issues that came later, as some were dropped or changed, it seems. anyhow, any help I will thank 'ya for in advance, gents.......the ace...:rolleyes:

I built that model as a kid.  I don't remember the mold color though. It came out as my best brush paint job.  Dark blue.  I'd love to have that kit again. I remember my dad telling me a few of his personal experiences with this car back in the day.

Love this kit

Same here Andy, Ive built a few over the years and have another 2 in the stash. so many different possibilities with this kit.

I built this in the late '80's I keep thinking of a tear down to remove the front fender mold lines, but I could never duplicate the paint. It was some metallic blue base with a pearl purple topcoat and some oddball clear. No rubbing on this paint job. Rattle-canned and assembled.

40ford2.jpg

post-11768-0-03244500-1394486674_thumb.jpost-11768-0-63236700-1394486651_thumb.jpost-11768-0-58260000-1394486620_thumb.jpost-11768-0-06894900-1394486589_thumb.jpost-11768-0-81292200-1394486566_thumb.jpost-11768-0-89051600-1394486492_thumb.jpost-11768-0-22487100-1394486469_thumb.jpost-11768-0-26666700-1394486444_thumb.jpost-11768-0-90595300-1394486422_thumb.j.....I built my first one ever a couple of years ago, posted it in the drag racing forum under Troublemaker,,,,,just love this kit too, and have another in stock for a future build.....the ace.....:D

Edited by AC Norton
add photos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
1 hour ago, Dave Darby said:

Hopefully molded in white. I picked up a couple of the Original Art series issues at Ollie's last week. Orange...

Some of the flat box kits were molded in white and some were molded in orange. You had to look for the little sticker that tells you what color they were molded in. Although, maybe not all of the boxes got the sticker.