Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '40 Ford Coupe Review (1983 Re-issue)

Duntov

OK….this is a review of an older kit…. One that I am hoping Round 2 will re-issue…. Of course this one is a re-issue any way….but here goes.

amt40.JPG

This is the 1983 re-issue of the AMT 40 Ford Deluxe coupe (narrow grille). It has some interesting additions and improvements over the original most notably the chrome parts. Most all of the original parts are there plus some well done Keystone mags, some Olds Toronado turbine type wheel centers and the original headers have dumps added to them. A few other changes as well but these are the main ones to note. It looks like some attention was paid to this fret as it is clean and overall flash free….perhaps a bonus of the added newer parts???

CHrome-vi.png

The tires are in a word “plentiful”…. Four of the original Firestone skinnies, two classic AMT Goodyear slicks and four street rod tires with markings. This is nice but I don’t build much anymore without using aftermarket tires such as Pegasus or Holthaus resin items….the later especially on the big fender cars like this one…..wide whites are just a natural here......but don't overlook the fact that the "Firestone" logo is on these tires and the slicks are perfect for a drag version of this car....

Tires-vi.png

OK…. The main parts trees are the originals ….pretty much unchanged. This version is done in light blue vs. the original first issue black and subsequent grey (and other colors) so it should pose no issues with a good quality primer and some high quality rattle can or air-brush paint applications. As in the original there are two motors... a stock flat head that can be built stock or with a neat three 2 barrel carb set up, and a Buick nail head that can be done with the 3-2's or the blower ..... by the way the alternate motor is incorrectly called out as an Olds in the instructions.... small peanuts really.....

Pay some attention to these motors and they will be a real highlight of the build.... spark plug wires and some extra plumbing with the right paint and you have a nice representation of the motors......there are also tons of Flat Motor after market parts that can be added too.....

AND YES…. There is a fair amount of flash….but two items …really folks!!!

1) This is a 50 plus year old tool…. So just deal with it!!!! (It came out in 1960....so do the math!!!)

And…..

2) C’mon…. most of the folks on this site chop, channel, drop, section, rip, cut, scrape, putty, mutilate and otherwise clobber the living daylights out of “nearly” everything they build anyway….. SO flash is an issue …..WHY???? I never understood that beef….Oh well….. it’s just me I guess….

Parts1-vi.pngParts2-vi.png

Decals are a different version than the originals but I don’t think time has been kind to the carrier paper in this one… (1983 was 30 years ago!!!). But still there are some neat one off items.... just be careful here if you have one this old!!!

Decals-vi.png

The biggest issue is a mounting lug (two of them) that infringe on the drivers side doors. You need to carefully remove these and you may need to do some minor repairs…. Really nothing an average model builder should find overly challenging. Same on the running boards but to a lesser degree.... just use a new razor and work carefully and you should be OK with a bit of sanding.....

DoorIssue-vi.png

Overall this is a nice old kit and I have built it countless times since I first picked up an original issue “Trophy Series” version when they first came out many many years ago…. Revell’s Standard coupe version (wide grill) notwithstanding this is a good kit for a number of modifications…or you can just do a very clean build with modern materials, paints and adhesive and have a great addition to your collection…. (By the way … I paid less than $10 for this on-line …sealed condition.....well worth it I think!!!!........but then again in 1960 I paid $1.59 at Fred Meyer in Portland Oregon!!!)

Get one of these and have some fun….. it’s 1960 all over again!!!!!

Also, there are countless other versions of this kit in re-issue form…. I still have several in my collection….all have different box art. I just figured it was time to drag another one out and build it and thought I would share this one before I put it together..... still not sure where this one will go but simplicity will be the rule of the day.....funny....I actually finish builds like this!!!!!!…..

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

Nice...I don't have that issue..I have a couple of the '60s originals, the 1980 Barris Cruisin' USA issue, and the one w/ the beige car on the box. I think I saw somewhere this kit is being reissued in the fall...

Edited by Rob Hall

Over the years , I've built several versions of this kit . I just wish that the motor was a bit better detailed as in the Ford V-8. The distributor looks like a blob hanging off the crankshaft pulley and of course , the lack of spark plug wire conduits are certainly a needed item . Some careful thumbing through the Early Ford Club of America archives will result in a stunning re creation .

"2) C’mon…. most of the folks on this site chop, channel, drop, section, rip, cut, scrape, putty, mutilate and otherwise clobber the living daylights out of “nearly” everything they build anyway….. SO flash is an issue …..WHY???? I never understood that beef….Oh well….. it’s just me I guess…."

Bill, I understand why flash exists, but I think "flash is an issue" because it just adds extra, tedious work just to produce a nice, out-of-the box model- especially when it's on the chrome parts. Nobody wants to deal with flash in the same way that they want to chop, channel, etc.

I have owned maybe 20 of these, along with their companion panel ( sedan?) delivery, but I cannot think of ANY reason, other then fond memory, to buy this instead of any of the Revell 40 Ford kits....which are superior in every way to this kit. If you're building for other reasons, that's OK....but if you want an accurate 40 Ford IMHO go with the Revell kit / kits....'Z'......

"2) C’mon…. most of the folks on this site chop, channel, drop, section, rip, cut, scrape, putty, mutilate and otherwise clobber the living daylights out of “nearly” everything they build anyway….. SO flash is an issue …..WHY???? I never understood that beef….Oh well….. it’s just me I guess…."

Bill, I understand why flash exists, but I think "flash is an issue" because it just adds extra, tedious work just to produce a nice, out-of-the box model- especially when it's on the chrome parts. Nobody wants to deal with flash in the same way that they want to chop, channel, etc.

I agree in principle but again after 50 years it is to be expected..... if this happened say in a new release of a full price kit I would totally understand.... but then again I have never seen a piece of resin without flash (different animal for sure)....... I have many Tamiya and Fujimi kits as well with no flash at all and I certainly appreciate that..... SO it can be done.... but I still maintain that flash is part of the game so to speak... I don't like it any more than the next guy but it is there and needs to be dealt with.....

But again you bring up a good point in a well thought out manner..... let's hope the re-issue later this year has minimal flash....

Bill

I have owned maybe 20 of these, along with their companion panel ( sedan?) delivery, but I cannot think of ANY reason, other then fond memory, to buy this instead of any of the Revell 40 Ford kits....which are superior in every way to this kit. If you're building for other reasons, that's OK....but if you want an accurate 40 Ford IMHO go with the Revell kit / kits....'Z'......

The AMT is a deluxe trim level, the Revell is the base model.

I love this kit. Particularly in the unadulterated early issue, which had a number of parts that were changed or deleted from later issues. These included custom wheel covers, fender skirts, short lake pipes, and stock Buick valve covers for the nailhead engine. Earlier issues are worth picking up because the molding is cleaner, with less flash and better definition of details. The biggest issue I found was the hood fit and the compromised definition of the side molding on the hood.

The virtue of this kit over the comparable Revell kit is simplicity. As far as I can see the AMT is just as accurate in basic shape as the Revell kit.

Here're a few shots of mine showing the early valve covers and exhaust system. I replaced the hood side molding with a bit of styrene strip...

40_4-vi.jpg

40_1-vi.jpg

Edited by John Goschke
  • Like 2

John & Don:

Thanks for these posts.... this is exactly why I did the review.... I like the Revell cars a lot but you really made the point of the review with your post of a built up AMT car.......

Nice work!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

• 4 months later...

For those that are bothered by the ill fitting hood it can be made to fit quite easily (albeit a little tedious) just take a razor saw (fine tooth) & carefully cut down each side of the center chrome strip & front emblem then re-glue all three parts back together, the material removed by the saw cuts puts the hood back in proper alignment with the body sides again.