Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

AMT DIAMOND REO

8 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Hey everyone I'm about to purchase a diamond reo... it will be my first big rig build and I was wondering if anyone can give me some reviews on it.. I've had some trouble with amt models in the past (having trouble with one now) ... so I wax wondering how good they go together...

Posted · Report post

I built two of the new Reo's and each went together very different. Overall they are a nice truck but I ran into issues with the windshield glass fitting nicely in one and had to do some mods to get the cab to sit on the frame and lineup with the hood on both. I would not glue the cab mount to the frame until the hood is in place and you are ready to mount the cab. I needed to shim one cab and shave down the other but on both I ended up sanding off the circular mounts on the floor of the cab. Just my opinion, but over all they turned out nice. Rustoleum has a green nearly identical to the box art which is how I build my first one.

Posted · Report post

Awesome! Thanks for the information... being a first time right builder I didn't just want to jump into any rig with out looking stuff you first... let alone a skill 3 lol I know I probably should start with some a little more simple like a peterbuilt 359 but I fell in love with this truck so I'm going to have to learn quick... haven't quite picked out a color scheme yet. It will come to me when I open the box...

Posted · Report post

also...if your going to use the sleeper either stretch the frame an inch or so ...or just take a mallet and give it a wack in the back...(Think about the trailer hitting the back of the sleeper wall :lol: )

Posted · Report post

agreed, I luckily did not glue the sleepers on, but if you are going to use it / glue it on, dont use the crawl through piece on the sleeper, it looks funny and takes up valuable room. I left it off the second build (made a log truck) and the spacing is much better but i think you might run into some minor exhaust stack clearance problems. Nothing a little heat and twist wont solve

Posted · Report post

0f7e72b5-2dd6-420d-a588-563af908422e.jpg

bbe0df22-5f03-4fff-be75-bd968dc3272b.jpg

3c2465e3-6579-42af-b20f-dd051fa89120.jpg

66520677-b4f1-404d-be35-4def076e311f.jpg

4f1f0d19-78cd-44cc-9e96-14e2c409df46.jpg

Was this "rising sun" sleeper unique to Diamond REO trucks, or does it replicate a specific type or brand of aftermarket(?) sleeper?:

380535b8-8e00-4748-b3ca-da0c1bdf62c8.jpg

79c1c45d-a465-446b-b6b6-69a4510826b0.jpg

7814945f-1171-457b-b850-57cb4aecf629.jpg

1e6bbc9e-e67b-4e71-9dea-cfd91d8e1be4.jpg

dc8fe34e-daf7-48e6-9a31-1bb7137c94f2.jpg

Posted · Report post

Yikes those tires,looks like they used a meat cleaver to chop them out.

I preferred back in the day when you cut your own "spider" out. Other then that it looks like a super kit. I might pick up a few for the spoked wheels.

Posted · Report post

Was this "rising sun" sleeper unique to Diamond REO trucks, or does it replicate a specific type or brand of aftermarket(?) sleeper?:

That would be a "Mercury Sleeper" which were used an many different truck makes back in the day.