Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best tool for sanding diecast?

I have a 1/16 Bugatti T59 with a diecast body. The upper part of the body has a row of rivets molded along the length of the body; the rivets are inaccurate and need to be removed without damaging the smoothness of that part of the body. I haven't done this kind of work on metal before.

I have a cordless Dremel, and was wondering if there is an attachment with the proper grit for a sanding wheel, or if I should use a sanding block. Any suggestions for the kind of grit, or other way of removing the rivets? A metal file?

I also need to reposition some openings in the body -- what kind of cutting tool would be best to use?

Edited by sjordan2

A jewelers type file is best to remove the rivets. Dremel too aggressive-even on low speeds.

Be patient with a file and dress it after with 220 to 600 grit wet-or-dry paper.

For the body openings, I'd drill starter holes using the Dremel cordless. Then use a circular cutting bit or sanding drum depending on the size of opening, to enlarge. Dress with files.

Were you planning on repainting the whole piece of metal after you correct it? If so (if it's all metal, no plastic) get some B12 Chemtool carburator cleaner. You can get the spray or the dip and soak the part in it. It will remove all the paint and leave a nice smooth surface. Sanding may leave scratches. I've stripped several diecast bodies this way. When repainting, you need to use an etching primer as the first coat.

A jewelers type file is best to remove the rivets. Dremel too aggressive-even on low speeds.

Be patient with a file and dress it after with 220 to 600 grit wet-or-dry paper.

For the body openings, I'd drill starter holes using the Dremel cordless. Then use a circular cutting bit or sanding drum depending on the size of opening, to enlarge. Dress with files.

Actually, on diecast, Dremel's HSS (High Speed Steel) cutters work through the metal like a knife through warm butter, and are also very easy to control. Use the Dremel at the higher speeds though, and take your time with it.

Art

If the rivets are small, I'd start with an emery board; it's too easy to go overboard with a grinding tool. After sanding, I'd blast the whole shell with aluminum oxide media to prep for new paint.

Edited by VW Dave